• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Advice needed on Snow Hawk purchase please!

M

MDiver

Nov 1, 2009
I'm just getting into snowmobiling this year, after looking around, I think that the Snow Hawk might be my best fit. In the summer I ride a KTM 450 SX-F, a mix of trail riding and motocross. I love riding/racing the bike, and the Snow Hawk seems to be the best winter match (although, I did consider a 2moto kit). They guys that I would be riding with in the winter ride conventional two-ski machines. Most of them modified mountain machines. I need a Snow Hawk that will match their performance in the mountains (I just don't want to get left behind due to the machine, my riding maybe, bu not the machine).

I have found a couple used Snow Hawks that aren't too far away. I am wondering if you guys can give me a liitle advice on what I should be looking to pickup. I would really like an 800, but they seem hard to find. It has been recommended to me that I pick up a 600, ride it, and when I crave more, just drop an 800 in. Is this a difficult task, or quite easy? I am somewhat mechanically inclined, I just have zero experience in the snowmobile world, but I regularly wrench on my bike. The other big unknown for me is track length. What do most people reccomend for mountain riding? I have found two machines, one is 136", the other is 144". I have also heard about just swapping the track out for a longer one. Is this a big task (it doesn't seem like it would be too bad)? What kind of cost would should i consider when swapping tracks and or engine?

Thanks in advance everyone, I have browsing this forum for a couple of days and can't wait to get a machine and get in the mix!

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
When you get proficient on a hawk you will be able to keep up and ride with the conventional sledders. It will take some seat time to get there. The 600 with the 144 would be my suggestion. It will take you wherever you want to go and places you have no business being. You will never be able to out climb a mod 800 in a straight up the hill test. You will be able to go anyplace they can. You just may have to side hill your way, or goat trail it. Its tough to keep up with sleds on the trail, you will probably be in the back of the pack, but hang in there it gets better.

As far as motor size, the 600 will be plenty until you get your wings. The 800 swap is easy if you use a 04 or 05 ski-doo 800 ho. You can have the stock MPEM recurved and use the stock wiring. The only thing that is different is the stator itself and the one in the 600 will work in the 800.

Take the plunge, you won't regret it. You'll get some flack from your buds, but once you learn to ride it, you'll be able to do things the guys on sleds never thought possible. Remember it takes seat time, you will fall over, but in the end, if you stick with it, you'll have the time of your life.

B
Nov 28, 2007
Where do you live ? Californias snow packs up nicely so a 136 is plenty. If the snow is drier , then more lenght is helpfull. PLEASE remember, your friends will hassel you for a year, cause you'll be learning. Don't give up. Ive been riding since 04 and I can 9 times out of 10 pick thru the area quicker,and be up at the top waiting for them. Trails are like neighborhood streets for a race car. They suck, but if thats the part of the country where you live in then keep the stock ski and get the snow tracker kit. The big reason why I bought the Hawk is I wanted more . I still have my m 1000 for 100 mile days and for the steep hillclimbing, but since 07 Ive only put 500 miles on it. The Hawk has a specialized personality about it. Hawks are close to the bike feel and sleds are closer to the quad feel.

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
as addict said,,,JUST BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will learn to love it in a few short rides. once you figure it out you will ask urself why did i wait so long to buy one. you might even find a 503 to be impressive...i think of seen a few photos of a mccbrother flyin high on 1....speaking of mcc i need to order season 3!!!!!!!

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
MDriver,

So have you bought something yet? The snow is almost here and if you wait much longer you will regret it. I know of a good deal on an '04' 600.

If you haven't pulled the trigger because you are unsure of the whole one-ski idea, come to Hawkfest and rent a machine. Act fast though, the limited number of rental Hawks are going quick.

What "M" do you drive?

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Check out the '04' with an 800 in it with all the 800 upgrades on Ebay. It's in Maine, where is MDiver located?

I spoke with the guy today, he said his bottom line would be $7,200. Get out the checkbook and pull the trigger.

Premium Features