• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 rev 800 keeps blowing base gasket

F

FNG

Nov 19, 2008
If the case and cylinder are'nt machined true the best gasket in the world will blow, gotta check that the on the next tear down, then re-tourqueing as described in the manual.

rat01

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Permatex makes an anaerobic sealer that when used with their primer is good for gaps up to .050. It is good to 400 degrees and requires tapping and or prying to separate. This will not blow out or cause the gasket to "slip out".

T
Oct 25, 2009
my 2004 was last year and all i did was made sure it was square in the crank case. make sure its the right thickness. they have little hole at the frontin the middle. they did this for compresstion reasons. mine is a 5 hole gasket. but also make sure u don't use gasget adhesive or stuff like that to hold it in place. i found it easeier to pull the moter to do this.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Are you using the anerobic permatex gasket sealer? Some say you should leave it out, because it never solidifies, even though doo says to use it.
I have only rebuilt a few doos ...and havent used any sealer on the new gaskets. Proper tourque, and clean surfaces, and DO NOT USE a fiber wheel on a die grinder to remove the old gasket...they can remove metal from the case surface :eek: bad deal. Havent had a gasket let go yet ;) I struggle with the y pipe loosening and slobering oil residue down the front of the engine...the first time this happened I thought I lost the base gasket. Dino

G
Feb 20, 2008
I torque mine 15-21 then 31. I let sit overnight and check it again at 31. Usually I can get a partial turn. Make sure there is some lub under the bolts to get an accuate torque. Sometimes if I have a problem basegasket I will ride it for an 1hr then take the head of and double check the torque again

Premium Features