• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Large diameter muffler for Impulse turbo

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
I've asked Paul about this before and he gave me a direct answer:

The muffler would have to be minimum 2.25 inches, even at this size you would probably lose some power. Also the muffler would have to be connected via a flex fitting of some sort to keep pressure off of the header to keep it from cracking.

I still would like to get a muffler installed some day, and just wondering what mufflers to look at that would work well with a turbo (less restrictive and high flow/diameter).

I'd just have an exhaust/fab shop build a tunnel dump setup..but would like to supply the muffler if or when I get to that point.

If possible I'd like to just come off the current down pipe..but not sure if that will work or not either, as some sort of flexi-fitting would need to be used as well.

Are there any Impulse owners running mufflers out there?

I don't want to delve too much into power loss and the negatives of restrictive turbo exhaust..
I'd like a quieter sled, plain n simple. I'm not nec. after stock volume, but quieter than it is now. :p

I was wondering if maybe Powderlites muffler would work? Anyone have dimensions/weights on that? I figure its going to have to be a smaller muffler to fit under the tunnel, above the track.. I'll prob end up with a warm left foot, eh?
Cost effective is of importance atm as well...
Are there any good sport bike mufflers I can look around for used?

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
After doing some digging, it looks like most sport bike mufflers are 2" or 2.25" . . nothing much larger.

I see that PLites uses a Hindle muffler..which seem pretty reasonably priced...and readily available on eBay.

Is it right to estimate the muffler alone is ~4-6 lbs, depending on length/shape/material?

If I can really pick up a muffler on eBay for ~$100, I don't think the cost would be all that bad..there maybe more cost in the fabbing a downpipe connection, and tubing under tunnel..

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
After doing some digging, it looks like most sport bike mufflers are 2" or 2.25" . . nothing much larger.

I see that PLites uses a Hindle muffler..which seem pretty reasonably priced...and readily available on eBay.

Is it right to estimate the muffler alone is ~4-6 lbs, depending on length/shape/material?

If I can really pick up a muffler on eBay for ~$100, I don't think the cost would be all that bad..there maybe more cost in the fabbing a downpipe connection, and tubing under tunnel..

Rotax, Have you ever seen the muffler MCXpress uses on the rear mount RX1s and Apex kits? When I got my RX1 kit years ago I looked at the muffler and was shocked. I figured the setup would be super loud like the bender kit but the opposite was true. In fact, if you yelled through it, you would be surprised how much it attenuated the noise.

N
Feb 6, 2008
Exactly how loud is that puppy anyway, rotax ? Would you say it's louder than some of the aftermarket sportbike pipes that guys have installed ? Keep in mind, most guys with simple mods run their muffler straight out the back in the stock location, where your exhaust exits underneath by the track and could possibly be muffled by the snow.

I've asked Paul about this before and he gave me a direct answer:

I still would like to get a muffler installed some day, and just wondering what mufflers to look at that would work well with a turbo (less restrictive and high flow/diameter).

I'd just have an exhaust/fab shop build a tunnel dump setup..but would like to supply the muffler if or when I get to that point.

If possible I'd like to just come off the current down pipe..but not sure if that will work or not either, as some sort of flexi-fitting would need to be used as well.

Are there any Impulse owners running mufflers out there?

I don't want to delve too much into power loss and the negatives of restrictive turbo exhaust..
I'd like a quieter sled, plain n simple. I'm not nec. after stock volume, but quieter than it is now. :p

I was wondering if maybe Powderlites muffler would work? Anyone have dimensions/weights on that? I figure its going to have to be a smaller muffler to fit under the tunnel, above the track.. I'll prob end up with a warm left foot, eh?
Cost effective is of importance atm as well...
Are there any good sport bike mufflers I can look around for used?

N
Feb 6, 2008
I had a D&D GYXR 1000 can on my sled before the Impulse that was way louder than the turbo.

You may be able to cut this baffle down or weld a 2" extension on the header.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=21299

D&D sportbike exhausts are nothing but absolute JUNK ! Of all the mufflers I've heard, D&D was the only one that was as loud as no muffler at all, so take it from there.

Why not look at some 4 stroke dirtbike mufflers, rotax ? They're shorter than sportbike exhausts, and many of the same reputable companies make mx pipes as well. Might need a bit of fab work, but it can be done. Something to think about :beer;

RXB-1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Oregon
I run a bender and built a rear tunnel dump last year and basicly did not notice much noise change. ( Some) Although my tunnel stayed clean all season :face-icon-small-hap I hear ya on the noise, I am currently looking at trying a White Broz R-4 i have sitting in my shop, as it just started snowing here it will still be a little time before I get to test. I will mod it ( again) soon:beer;:beer;

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
I had a D&D GYXR 1000 can on my sled before the Impulse that was way louder than the turbo.

You may be able to cut this baffle down or weld a 2" extension on the header.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=21299

Interesting, so you'd weld this into the end of the down pipe?

I've seen the MCX mufflers, but don't think it'd be all that affordable..and they are kinda heavy..but yes, they are nice n quiet. Its nice to be able to talk over them w/o yelling. :p

The turbo definately isn't what my 2 stroke Doo was (exhaust/volume wise)...but I have oddly sensitive ears and still need to wear ear plugs on my Nytro.

I can get a Hindle off eBay quite cheap actually (less than 100$ shipped)..if the deals legit.
May be worth it just to try for that $.

Also, the other issue w/ volume is Colorado implimenting dB resitrictions/laws/fines..along with other states.. So, its coming..I'm tryin to stay ahead of it...or at least be prepared for it...somewhat.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys.

Last edited:
J

JTAB

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman Montana
www.lientransportation.com
Dynatech splitflow from Jegs or Summit racing 3" ID but I agree must be isolated from header. I have not figured out how I can cleanly do this yet so may run without for awhile.:beer;:beer;

Nytro014.jpg

H

Hillclimber

Jan 10, 2008
Colorado
Propanejunkie is a new Impulse owner

Rotax,
Can you give my good friend Doug a call. I'll pm you the number. He just sold all three of his artic cats including his cutler to get on the turbo nytro band wagon. I must have made quite an impression on him last year. :face-icon-small-hap

He picked up a 08 Outlaw build with an impulse kit installed. He has a few questions on the altitude set up. Outlaw was trying to sell him a new controller for $1500 which I don't think he really needs.
Coming from the 2 stroke cats, he just has a few questions in general. Apparently it's loud, he may be interested in your muffler project.

Coming from the MCX, I can't give him tuning input. I thought you may be able to offer some insight.
Lets get together and start the group turbo rides!
HC

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
Def get a muffler. Yours is annoyingly loud. :) The neighbors are probably happy we are out of the neighborhood.

I would just get a glasspak from any autoparts store. I see no reason why yours should be much louder than the way my MCX is set up.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Dynatech splitflow from Jegs or Summit racing 3" ID but I agree must be isolated from header. I have not figured out how I can cleanly do this yet so may run without for awhile.:beer;:beer;

Nytro014.jpg

That looks like it would fit right in there. I have seen other bullet resonators that are like 5 lines long, 3 inch through. Should flow enough and take the edge off the exhaust noise.

Just bought this one from a guy on ty4, Think I should be able to get it to work for me. The nice thing about it is that it is not a huge outside dia. Even if it cuts off 5 db's that would be good.

CIMG1328.jpg

Last edited:

bigrhett

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, UT
Just bought this one from a guy on ty4, Think I should be able to get it to work for me. The nice thing about it is that it is not a huge outside dia. Even if it cuts off 5 db's that would be good.

What's the ID and OD on that piece? As you say, even a little bit of noise reduction would be something good :)

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
What's the ID and OD on that piece? As you say, even a little bit of noise reduction would be something good :)

I will ask him where he got it. Yeah it doesn't look like much but I think it will do more then most people would think. The ID is 3" I am not sure of the OD doesn't look like more the 4". And he said the length is like 5-6" so that should work good.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Looking at that reminds me of the MCX muffler. Didn't think it would muffle anything but ended up working good.

Premium Features