• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recoil issues 04 Rev

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
So I know it's a known problem that after a few miles the recoils go out. Mine after rebuilding doesn't engage like it should. Does anyone have "the fix" in order to make them work properly. It appears that the o-ring is whats causes the resistance in order to swing the arm out to engage the starter and after replacing all the internals with new parts, it still didn't fix it. What's everyone else doing for this?

Thanks

i put in a complete new assembly with a steel stud in the center(the dealer said this was the ticket) but also used a generous amount of heat reflective tape on the entire recoil case to protect more from the heat from the exhaust...so far, so good.....

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
after my last recoil rebuild on my Rev, it was going to be the last..if it ever failed again I was going after e-start...

but, the fix i've used to keep the clip from sliding off the shaft-end, and in turn everything else coming off the shaft, is:
tap the center shaft, get a set of washers and a bolt...screw bolt into shaft (loctite prob wouldn't hurt).
this solves the issues with the clip working its way off the shaft. which in turn solves most of the issues w/ Doo recoils (that i've experienced)/

and on the "not engauging" part, i think its the right combo of grease (in the right spots) and other parts being dry..

its really quite a pita... thus, me resorting to e-start if it ever failed again.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
i put in a complete new assembly with a steel stud in the center(the dealer said this was the ticket) but also used a generous amount of heat reflective tape on the entire recoil case to protect more from the heat from the exhaust...so far, so good.....

yes, and heat tape is good too..i added some to mine on the last rebuild.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
a really smart guy told me that rebuilding them will work for awhile but it will fail again.

the doo 1000 recoil has metal internals and is cheaper. bolts right on. thats what some guys are doing.

Ill Named

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Have any of you guys used aftermarket ropes for this. If so, what did you use and where did you get it?

Premium Features