• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is a yamaha right for me??

S
Dec 12, 2007
Can anyone give me an honest, un-biased opinion on wether a 4 stroke, turbo or otherwise is right for me. Currently ride a 08 700 RMK. Incredible ride but tired of buying a new sled after 2200 miles. Ride in the steep and deep all the time. Lots of tree riding as well. Im a big guy over 6' and 300lbs. Just dont know if a 4 stroke is right for me and could use some advice.

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
yam

If your not going to turbo it i would stick with your 2 stroke.I rode my apex stock for two years,and was going to sell it if i didnt turbo,its ez to ride,side hill and boondock,but wouldn't climb for nothing,and when its stuck you'll hate it.

Last edited:

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I don't really think that anyone can answer that for you. With so many great choices out there, I would never buy another sled without spending at least one full day, preferably two, demo riding the sled. Before I bought my first Apex, I drove over 300 miles (one way) to ride them. Was only able to ride for about 1/2 day. Two weeks later, drove about the same distance to another location, spent most of the day on one. Interestingly, after the first ride, I was not sold. After the second time, I snow checked one and have been very happy. I have both a lightweight(relatively speaking) Apex and an Impulse turbo. Except for steep/deep stuff, the stock motor works very well. Set up and clutching is critical. With as many Apex's that are for sale (dealer holdovers/private parties) you should have no problem hooking up for a "demo" ride. Just my $.02. Good luck.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Well good question I have a 08 apx, stock I will say the sled sucked, I took 96 pounds off her, everything u can do,timbersled ft and rear,yz450 battery in seat,boss seat,gutted tunnel,undertunnel exhaust and added a 174 2.5 track simmons skis,shockwave,running 18/43 gears ect ect ect...its a very nice sled now fun to ride, goes anywhere,seldom gets stuck (im 6'6" 275) BUT the apex is NOT a sled for a novice rider at all u have to plan ur line and not get in places u will have a problem,if you stick her its horrible. Flawless turn key and go deal..pump gas Zero issues. Clutching is also key. so what u have is a new apex plus 5000.00 to make a really fun sled. it still needs more power, if i keep it forced induction is a must,but i think even a stage 1supercharger would be enough.

My other sled is a polaris based custom. every piece possible is carbon fibre or titanium,fabcraft skid,carbon arms,boss seat ect ect, weighs 420 Wet ready to ride and its 903 makes 210 hp. yes there is a ton of money in it. But it is insane fun to ride, super easy to unstick if u get stuck..lol...and you hardly ever get stuck on it. I will leave the apex for dead and also does a job on most turbo sleds as well. Rebuild motor once a year for sure.

So my suggestion is go ride a 2010 nytro, it has come a long way and for a stock sled its gettin pretty damn good. But if ur leavin it stock its pretty hard to beat a M8 or hcr...if I do another its a hcr with small turbo.

oh unless u want to buy my apex...;)

M
Jan 14, 2004
A large part of it will come down to how much weight are you putting into your "Sick of buying a new sled every 2200 miles comment". An Apex or Nytro will cure that period. You'll get bored with the sled before you wear it out. Are you going to like it in stock form probably not but when you factor in the loss of selling a sled every 2 years you get a lot of $$ to play with if you are willing to ride the 4 stroke for say 5 o 6 years. Try a stocker and try and get a ride on a mod, there's quite a difference.

M5

S
Dec 12, 2007
Thanks for the input guys. I would really like to try one out for a few days where we ride and see how I like it but were pretty limited in availability of demos where im at. I love the two strokes but Im just thinking I cant justify $14,000cdn(thats how much my sled was at the time) on something that has to be rebuilt every 2200miles.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
you know I think I would get a 2010 nytro,slap on some simmons gen 2 and go have fun. then after a year do a pump gas turbo or s/c and you have a pretty much do all machine. With zero manitence, i ride my Apex about 4000 mi a year btw all off trail stuff and I will say they can take a shot,,,haha

yeah it took a bit to get unstuck,right sli was stuck around small tree so we had to dig..I bought the beer that day..lol

M
Jan 14, 2004
Thanks for the input guys. I would really like to try one out for a few days where we ride and see how I like it but were pretty limited in availability of demos where im at. I love the two strokes but Im just thinking I cant justify $14,000cdn(thats how much my sled was at the time) on something that has to be rebuilt every 2200miles.

Where are you located?

M5

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
For a guy your size a boosted Apex would be a good set up. Like M5 says, if set up correctly, you will get bored with the sled before it breaks on you. The Nytro is my choice, but for a lot of my customers that are 250+ they really like the Apex chassis. Just lighten it up a bit and crank the power!

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
If your not going to turbo it i would stick with your 2 stroke.I rode my apex stock for two years,and was going to sell it if i didnt turbo,its ez to ride,side hill and boondock,but wouldn't climb for nothing,and when its stuck you'll hate it.

X2, I agree, unless you are going to boost it, I would be getting a XP 163. I ride with a stock Nytro with a 162 X 16 2.5 and it will not come close to the Xp 163. If you can afford Boost, Yamy 4 stroke is the way to go.

S
Dec 12, 2007
Thanks for the offer anyhow M5.
I like how the XP's work, but I dont think it would hold up under me.
I guess Im just gonna have to start hunting for an already turbo nytro...

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Thanks for the offer anyhow M5.
I like how the XP's work, but I dont think it would hold up under me.
I guess Im just gonna have to start hunting for an already turbo nytro...

Good call. There are alot of guys out there that are selling their turbo Nytros and apexes just to build another. So deals are out there. I love my t-nytro and wouldn't trade it for anything out right now.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
If you end up with a stock Nytro (pre '10), the best thing to do for bigger guys is upgrade the torsion springs (if you keep the stock skid).

If you want to climb with M8s, a stock Nytro will not keep you happy at all. That being said, it will run year in and year out and doesn't need so much as a valve adjustment until 36,000 miles. Now I swapped the track and skid on mine, and I can out climb most 700s, and I'm close to the 800s I ride with...so there is potential in these sleds, you just have to coax it out of them. Put boost on it, and you'll be able to go anywhere you want and then some.

I think a 4 stroke is what you are looking for if you want a reliable machine that doesn't need a top end put in it all the time. Part of the reason Yamahas are heavy, is because the factory overbuilds them to withstand the abuse.

Premium Features