• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex won't Idle

RX-1MT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Butte Montana
Just rebuilt an Apex motor using wisco low comp pistons and still running a head shim with boondocker gt 28 now we can't get it to idle after about the 3000 rpm mark it cleans out and sounds great air fuel gage reads 16:1 to 17:1 at idle any ideas?
Thanks Mick

RX-1MT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Butte Montana
No codes, throttle cable loose, and timing was on, there is just no idle anything over 2000 rpms is perfect has anyone else run low comp pistons with a headshim? All else fails I will check the timing again

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
Hate to say it but it sounds like your timing is off. Been there done that, fixed a few for guys that had the same problem.

RX-1MT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Butte Montana
Thanks everyone for the info, I was thinking timing myself just hate thinking of tearing back down but what do ya do, does anyone have any pics of the timing marks with a head shim?
Thanks again!!

S

SPOOLED

Dec 4, 2007
northern bc
Thanks everyone for the info, I was thinking timing myself just hate thinking of tearing back down but what do ya do, does anyone have any pics of the timing marks with a head shim?
Thanks again!!

the marks on the cams have to line back up with the cam caps but you have to grind out the gears so you can line up the dots, have you done this or just put the shim in and tightened everything back up?

RX-1MT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Butte Montana
yes the intake gear has been ground the sled ran with the shim set up for two season before taking out a rod bearing, we replaced rods pistons ect. and now it just won't idle once you let off the throttle it like you just shut the key off there is just no idle

T
Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls, Wa
I tried the low comps with a head shim a couple years ago; had my compression down to about 8.6:1. It ran fine at lower altitudes but the throttle response was pretty crappy at the 5000-6000 ft elevations. The fuel economy was pretty bad too.

RX-1MT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Butte Montana
When I pulled it apart to remove the head shim I checked the timing and I was a tooth off that explains alot, we still opted to remove the shim and just go with the low comp pistons! I guess instead of double check I will triple triple check timing, got in a hurry I guess to get it done. Oh well we all like to do things twice right!:eek::beer;
Thanks to all for your help!!

Premium Features