• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

F#$%^NG WITH WELL set-up APEX SC

J

jaws

Feb 25, 2008
I have 07 apex with supercharger and hauck exhaust and it is dialed in perfect.now the problem,i want to dump the exhaust in the tunnel so i can change the seat style.is it worth it to mess with or should i just be satisfied it works flawlessly and ride it.i have been fighting this thought for a while. Guys that i talk to say the easiest part of owning a boosted sled is buying it tuning can be a headache.i have 800mi of trouble free riding but also a tendancy to f$#k with stuff can someone set me straight on this.

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
You already got the weight reduction, just leave it alone and ride the wee out of it. Although if you like to tinker and have the time and energy to do so and it makes you as happy as riding the wee out of it go for it. Personally I love to tinker on sleds but its getting old and my riding time is shorter so I'm hoping my SC apex will be tinker free this year and plan to ride the wee out of it when I can.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
I have 07 apex with supercharger and hauck exhaust and it is dialed in perfect.now the problem,i want to dump the exhaust in the tunnel so i can change the seat style.is it worth it to mess with or should i just be satisfied it works flawlessly and ride it.i have been fighting this thought for a while. Guys that i talk to say the easiest part of owning a boosted sled is buying it tuning can be a headache.i have 800mi of trouble free riding but also a tendancy to f$#k with stuff can someone set me straight on this.

I may be missing something but why is a tunnel dump going to mess with your settings? It will clear up your tunnel and give you different seat options. If you leave it stock exhaust and are looking for a new set I like the mountain mods for the apexes.

I would love to do this on my nytro but the cooler is in the way so really you need a tunnel, tunnel dump, new drop brackets and new seat with a rear mount nytro.

GL

J

jaws

Feb 25, 2008
I may be misinformed but from what i have read and heard i would probably have to adjust clutching to compensate for weight loss to stay off the rev limiter.clutching is the only thing that puts me out of my comfort zone as far as tweaking.i have found it to be a weekend waster.that is the only thing that is really stopping me.

J

jaws

Feb 25, 2008
Cmon someones gotta have a bit of info 100 views 2 respond

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Here's what I discovered on my SC Nytro...same as you, ran great, but I did some additional mods (aftermarket tunnel) and wanted under tunnel exhaust.

So, I built an undertunnel exhaust. Sounded great, nice and quiet, etc...

Went to Revy in DEEEEP POWWW...ran like chit. Kept loading up and dying any time I got in the fluff.

Called MPI and described my symptoms...first question they asked me was "do you have an under tunnel exhaust"? My jaw hit the ground.

Something about the backpressure created, it wont run right.

So, I ran the exhaust out the side of the tunnel near the back, and problem solved.

Bottom line, with a SC, you can't have an under tunnel exhaust.

Hope this saves you the heartache that I went through.

C
Dec 5, 2001
Colorado Springs, CO
"Bottom line, with a SC, you can't have an under tunnel exhaust."

:( Interesting ... as we have 3 Apex's with LCC exhausts (fka TJ's) and they run like a champ, never had a problem. I also ran a set of straight pipes for 2 seasons and no problem with that set-up, back pressure, etc., and I'm pushing 4k plus miles and 5 years with 10+ lbs. BOOST on the same sled.

Last edited:
O

obile

Jan 17, 2003
walla walla wa
nytro may be different than an apex on the back pressure issue. i am running an undertunnel on my apex and have zero problems in deep powder. my biggest problem was getting fresh air into the motor. put a snorkel on it and have no problems at all. the undertunnel exhaust freed up a bit of hp and made throttle response a bunch better on mine. had to add some weight to the primary to bring the r's back down and fine tune it at different elevations with shockwave. my opinion is fab up an undertunnel exhaust light weight seat of your choice spend a day dialing your clutching and ride worry free.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Good points on the Apex vs Nytro. Sounds like it may be doable on the Apex.

Jaws, have you called MPI to get their input?

T
Nov 27, 2007
Grande Prairie,AB
I would leave it be. Maybe you could build a nice new braket to install the seat of your choice. It might be easier then a tunnel dump. Couple hours work and you are done and no messing with any setting or clutching.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I have had and seen the same problem with under tunnel exhaust systems on turbos and stock sleds. Seems to work good until you hit some real deep snow. The tunnel dump turbos dump in front where the rotation of the track actually helps to get rid of the back-pressure. So if you get a 180 degree turn in your under tunnel exhaust so the exhaust exits with the track rotation instead of against it it could work.:rolleyes:

Cheers..........

Premium Features