• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ADB Patents

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
a patent is only a small issue to anyone building a machine for resale.. there is always a way around them...The single ski concept is nothing new..

G
Jan 21, 2008
Kennewick, WA
Do a Patent Search:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/

Plus you have to "Renew" your Patents every 2-3 years or they expire and most people don't. It can cost 1000's of clams for each patent to Renew....
and since ADB is losing interest, why would they renew????
-If you do keep Renewing your Patent it can last 17 years (the max).
-If your Patent goes to court, there is a 70% chance it will be proving "Invalid".
meaning most are "Week" claims. Note: Each patent is just made up of Claims.
Each Claim is a Feature of your idea, etc.

----Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after DVDs? I don't want to have to restart my collection.

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
As far as I know the Hawk itself is not patented and could not be patented.

Torque Limiter is patented - That's all right, I personnally don't want it anyways.

"Expert "X"" or "Expert whatever" they call their falling rate, track tightening, track stabbing, ratcheting issue piece of suspension might be patented as well - We'd rather something else as well.

What's left ? The fact that they're using one ski ? No way. Anybody who wants to build their own inspired/redesigned version probably could without any fear of being sued...

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Talk, talk, talk.

So lets do something about it!

When I feel like making a responce to a Youtube vid I usually end it now with, Investers wanted 206-999-9729.

Even got an email responce from Max at ADB regarding it, so people are watching, lets put heads together and do it.

TLK, get off your butt and get a Passport, those of you who could/should have come to the snow Expo last weekend could have discussed this seriously. If gas and time are a problem, keep flapping your keyboard on here.

I was trying to organize a group at the Salt Lake show tomorrow, and Friday, but that fell through because of gas money, not mine!

Hawk Fest is a long time from now to have a board/whining meeting about ADB! I'd rather use that time for riding Ozzydog's 975cc PSI 141" Snow Hawk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k57Bcs8DeKY

Last edited:
G
Jan 21, 2008
Kennewick, WA
I think Theirry is right about the One Ski Concept, it's not "Protected".

So let's see what we need:

-1. What Front Forks?
-2. What Rear Suspension design?
-3. What Engine?
-4. What Exhaust
-5. Which Clutches?
-6. Track?
-7. Fuel capacity?
-8. Desired Final Weight?

The Frame, Body work etc, is a function of the design and will be driven by the "Core Design" (above) and "Cost". did I mention cost?

The whole thing has to be made for under 10 k, so you decisions on the above will to a point be made for you....sorry that's how it works. Yes you want the Ferrari Engine but had to settle for a Chevy. My job is manufacturing design and believe me you can't have every thing you want, it takes skill to get a great machine for your target price point.
-Later you come out with the Hot machine, or make the basic one upgradable "Easily" to that Hot machine with "Options".

Once you do the Above decisions your Design will be enough different but the "same" that you won't worry about stepping on others shoes....

That's how I see it, your results may vary.

Did I mention cost??

-"We're going out Marge, if we don't come back avenge our deaths."
-Homer Simpson

G
Jan 21, 2008
Kennewick, WA
One late and maybe the "Most Important Goal"

-Simplicity Shows Expertise.

-Anybody can make something "Complicated"

I think ADB did a good job of making it simple. With that being said, There are way too many machined parts. That is expensive!

So "Inexpensive" and "Simple"

-Repeat while looking in Mirror.

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people doing it"

B
Nov 28, 2007
The above mentioned website is interesting. Went thru snow bike, single ski snowmobile. Many ideas but didnt find anything new in the last 30 years. Hundreds of pages tho . If anyone finds something worth while please post or refer .

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
FORKS.. something with a heavier spring rate that is not a custom wound spring that cost twice an off the shelf price spring

rotax motor, i have a dealer 2 miles away from home so parts are within walking distance

rear suspension... tlkdesigns rising rate due sometime in 2012 with graphics of your choice!

a 121"track for east coast riders as an option,im sure they will all be stock with atleast a 144" for the westerners

MORE KNEE ROOM!!!(and im a short guy!!!)

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
TLK, get off your butt and get a Passport, those of you who could/should have come to the snow Expo last weekend could have discussed this seriously. If gas and time are a problem, keep flapping your keyboard on here.

As if that was the happening of the decade ! Would've like to see Tim's seat in person, I like the side grip he's got on it ! There was a Snowmobike show in Vernon, BC last week end too.

We will discuss it more seriously when time comes T...

Did I ever told you guys, when I was 19, my ultimate dream was to build my own bike frame. Was a Hardcore urban biker and ultimate manual king these days! Had something in mind, couldn't get it out of my mind... I was studying to be a machinist back then. Started making parts here and there, simple stuff first like footpegs, then stems. Then got into mech eng, learnt how to draw stuff on cad... then got into the more serious sh** like hubs, headsets and stuff like that... Then I met a guy who could weld frame and had a jig and I finally made it at age 21. Here's a souvenir video of an afternoon of testing of it with my crazy red afrohair back then (!!!) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAN5r2UC9-8. Bike frame have no secrets for me anymore... Now guess what type of parts I've been making for the last 2 years...

End of the story, won't tell more, go to bed now :moon:

D
Apr 21, 2008
UT
Crazy!!!

I have been thinking about it all day and just got on here to start a thread about the snow hawk patents and here it is already!
Crazy!

Like the rest of you I love the hawk and have been addicted since the first day I rode one. Hawks are amazing! True I am fine with being the only to get a lot of fresh stuff where no two ski can go but on the other hand I want to share it with others. ADB has done a great job in designing and bringing the one ski to life but at $20K--yeah right...no wonder none were made last year. There are a lot of brains and know-how on the form here with us also living all over the place. You would think we can put our heads together and get something done so the hawk will not be a dying breed. And we can get the word out all over the place after we've got it going on. Got to be a tough nut to crack since it hasn't been done except by ADB but I am up for the task.

I'm in. :)

Who else is in?
I'm sure others have looked into this. Please let me know what I can do to help or what stands in the way.

Anyone else hitting the SLC snowmobile show this weekend?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
By that much!

I was trying to entice a group from here, was'nt in the cards.

The show we did in Puyallup was a huge success, their eyes give them away, Snowhawk Addiction III did'nt help them escape easily!
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171048

I talked to Sampson/Sledr2 yesterday take that new 800 of his and any other Oneskis you can ruffle up.

One day we all can have a road show and own half the exibit floor, but have them staring at ONE machine in the middle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZvTEg3TAVc

G
Jan 21, 2008
Kennewick, WA
I've searched and searched for ADB Patent numbers and so far nothing.

Anybody have them? On the Free Patent search website, you start by inputting the Patent number. After reading the Patent, read the "related" Patent section in the middle of the page. I've found this really gets you into some interesting ideas.

You know this isn't rocket science, Patents are a pain in the butt, I won't apply for them anymore, they have to many holes in them and it costs too much in court. Now if I came up with a new Hydrogen power plant, yep I'd get a patent for it, but to bolt in an Engine, Transmission, Track, Brakes, Suspension in a unique way for a snow application, Why get a patent?

What we need is some bright guys on this forum to sit down at a table with some napkins a sharpie and after wetting our vocal cords with some beer, start rebounding, ideas of the "Top 8" design decisions.

I've Started this process but in the end have to admit that there are "Way" more experienced people who "know" what works and what's "Up and Coming"
to "aid" or take a fundamental part in making these decisions.

Theirry I loved your last post and "your the perfect" guy for this new design.
-He knows his machine and has fabrication skills.

For mine please check out the Jet Aircraft called the "ViperJet"
http://viper-aircraft.com/
Scott and I started designed by ourselves (yep a couple of punk kids) and even though just about everybody said we were nuts, we persisted.
It's the only Jet Kit plane in the US maybe the world. You can buy one now.

This Single Ski idea is way, way easier then a Kit Jet that does 550 mph and is pressurized.....

I'm not an expert at snowmobiles and there are some really impressive guys on this forum that could in short time with the group design table make it simple.............

-"A man’s errors are his portals of discovery."

G
Jan 21, 2008
Kennewick, WA
Single Ski Designers

Here is the "List" so far of "Single Ski Designers"
-you have shown interest in helping.

-This means you want a part of Designing, Fabricating, Managing, Selling, Securing Capital, Writing a Business Plan etc, and you want to sit down at a table and design. (you guys haven't said that so let me know if you don't)

Board of Directors:

-Beeline
-TLKDPROD
-DRILLS
-Snowhawkaddict
-GoodSpeed

Did I miss any one or does somebody want to be added?

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."

Premium Features