• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

advantage of drop brackets? good or bad

R
Dec 8, 2007
I was just wondering what the advantages of drop brackets are. I am a believer that the factory engineers would have the best suspension setup, Is it only better in different snow conditions?

S
Advantages:
Makes the sled easier to sidehill and lay over when boondocking,
reduces the tendency to "wheelie" so much on steep climbs, better traction in deep snow because you can dig a deeper trench before getting hung up.

Disadvantages:
None that I can think of.

Hope that helps

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
drop brackets are designed to lift the a$$ of your sled up, so the running boards dont drag in the snow = causing trenching and getting stuck
this will also result in putting more ski pressure up front, which will help keep ur nose down when climbing hills

your suspension does have to be tinkered w a bit (to your liking) for them to work properly
there are a TONNE of posts over on dootalk regarding these

best supplier would be Smitty for these (although he is out right now, but will have some in a few weeks)

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
If you install drop brackets you also have to redrill the front axle mounting 1" lower and 3/4" back otherwise the rear will bind---after I installed my DB my rear suspension bound up and the steering became too heavy but the powder performance was notably improved but hard snow was worse--so I removed them.

BCB

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
What do you mean by binding? I've had Smitty's drops on my sled for about a year now and I didn't move the front axle and I also didn't notice the reaend binding. I thought you only had to move that front axle if you were extending your skid with the drops on it.

C
Jan 2, 2008
Meridian, ID
Drop brackets are the SHIZ! Two winters ago I struggled to get my sled to sidehill, to keep the ski's down when climbing steep hills, and to keep the boards from dragging in the deep stuff, even after extensive suspension adjustments. So, last summer I removed the front sway bar, swapped the left and right skis, and fabricated my own 3 1/2" billet aluminum drop brackets. WOW!!! It was like riding a completely different machine last year. It is almost effortless handling it on sidehills, the skis stick to the hills longer on climbs, and the boards are obviously much higher out of the snow, because, MAN it digs some trenches! It raised the rear bumper 7" from the stock position. I don't know what those guys are talking about when they say the track binds, and that you have to lower the front axles. I rode it all last season, and did not experience any binding, and did not lower my axles.

I would definately recommend this mod! It is the best mod I've done to my sled yet, and cost me no more than a little time and effort. If you don't have the ability to fabricate your own, you may want to try a kit.

Hope this helps

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
I found that it made mt REV act like a DOG. It was great for the hills, except when you had to come back down. i found it was too front heavy. I put the back to more normal heights, and it handles waaay better... Just my .02/

Premium Features