• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 Tunnel Rear Cooler Paint Options!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Ok..

well i had my 900 Tunnel sprayed with Super Liner (bedliner) its beautiful..on average would cost someone about the same as powder coating, but with less tear down and i think it will last alot longer..plus has a warranty!

It looks like paint, smooth, black, glossy..love it..i left the running board coolant lines un touched for a few reasons..
---it may not transfer much heat, but i didnt want to trap any heat in..
---i am sure that my boots would eventually wear through the liner on them since the lines have the small spike like grips on them
---it looks like the 06 900 Dragons
---always better safe then sorro

Sneak pics below..

Anyways..i taped off the rear cooler for obvious reasons of improper heat transfer..i was going to powder coat it, but i cannot get the stupid OEM rivots that hold the cooler inplace off..they suck..so i pretty gave up on removing them..

so i am looking for inputs on what i should do now..
---dont worry about it and leave
---polish it
---spray it with high heat temp black paint
---have a real man come and get the rivots out for me, and powder coat it black or even silver

any inputs or suggestions!
1021090827.jpg

1021090827b.jpg

1021090828.jpg

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Sean, I removed the cooler on mine and it was a huge pita. I found that a Dremel (spelling) worked allot better than a drill did. Keep trying and you'll get it and it will be worth it in the end. BTW That tunnel looks sick!!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Fan!

sorry, I don't have any suggestions for you ... just a question. What is the power supply looking (fan?) mounted behind your sec clutch?

hey bud.
no sweat..the Fan is actually a "kit" that Tri-City Performance (in utah) designed..its acutally just a small desk top computer fan that they used to blow air on the belt as the secondary spun to cool it..i dont know "ho weel" it actually works, but it doesnt hurt anything..but has been good to me so far, lol..

the "kit" is no longer on their website, it included the fan, and 2 vents that go on the console where the "doors" went..it was $99 when it was for sale..

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
!

Sean, I removed the cooler on mine and it was a huge pita. I found that a Dremel (spelling) worked allot better than a drill did. Keep trying and you'll get it and it will be worth it in the end. BTW That tunnel looks sick!!

thanks Nolan..i "may" try to dremel them out..it sucked drilling them, lol..

are you going to powder coat your cooler, or whats your plans with it..

Nov 20, 2008
Maryland
hey bud.
no sweat..the Fan is actually a "kit" that Tri-City Performance (in utah) designed..its acutally just a small desk top computer fan that they used to blow air on the belt as the secondary spun to cool it..i dont know "ho weel" it actually works, but it doesnt hurt anything..but has been good to me so far, lol..

the "kit" is no longer on their website, it included the fan, and 2 vents that go on the console where the "doors" went..it was $99 when it was for sale..

thought so. ok, thanks.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
weight

So Sean, how much weight did that coating add? I'm sure it's a lot thinner than a truck bed coat but...

Looks really nice though:beer;

hey bud.

i talked to the shop that did it, and he said it would be MAYBE...4-6lbs..max!!

the smooth compund is less weight cause they dont add some sort of compound that makes it "rough"...

so its like having 1 o2 boggie wheels back on, :D

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
If you think about it, it can't be much weight... A gallon of water only ways 8lbs. And a 5 gallon bucket of this stuff will do a 3/8" thick layer on an 8' truck bed... Im not sure how much he used but I would say around a gallon maybe a lil more. I know this stuff isn't water but its in the ball park of ABOUT 8lbs a gallon...

Atleast thats my .02

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Sean Quit being a candy azz and get those rivets out ! I think you need to in order to do a good job which ever way you decide to go. I guessing you have work hardened some of the rivets and cant drill anymore ? those will have to be ground out or drilled with a carbide bit( Spendy) Most people go to fast when drilling out rivets use a good bit and slow the drill down you will have better luck. Drilling fluid as always is invaluable.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
KREG..
its too hard to drill the rivots out when i have a purse in my hand..its too hard..lol..

i will see what i can do..i should have worked it better before it was coated..but worse case..high temp paint, and i will blame you for not helping me... ;)

W
Feb 27, 2008
guido...cmon man,get those rivets out! anodize it like a transparent black or the same color as your cowl?if you cant get them out just hit them with your purse!coating looks bad azz.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
HA!

guido...cmon man,get those rivets out! anodize it like a transparent black or the same color as your cowl?if you cant get them out just hit them with your purse!coating looks bad azz.

boy..you guys sure know how to make a MAN feel like a sissy girl..lol..

I will try and get them babies out..if i cant..i will LIE!;)

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
KREG..
its too hard to drill the rivots out when i have a purse in my hand..its too hard..lol..

i will see what i can do..i should have worked it better before it was coated..but worse case..high temp paint, and i will blame you for not helping me... ;)

HAHHA Just send me a plane ticket! you can just sit on the seat and powder your nose while I make it look easy.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
What kind of rivets are they? You have a pic?

I love doing tear down, so I get a giddy like a kid at christmas, when I get to take out rivets. If I knew which ones I might be able to help you...

2poor

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Boise Idaho
Sean,
Your sled sure looks great. I was just thinking if you painted it the same color as your pickup then this year you wont have to just stop you can keep going and make another run at it.(paint matches) LOL Are you still looking for those new motor mounts I have? If you are let me know.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i will try and get you a pic..will have to be off the wifes sled, since mine is coated..its hard to see them at all..

might have to wait till fri

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Lol!!

Sean,
Your sled sure looks great. I was just thinking if you painted it the same color as your pickup then this year you wont have to just stop you can keep going and make another run at it.(paint matches) LOL Are you still looking for those new motor mounts I have? If you are let me know.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA...

man, no one forget anything around here...hahahaha..thanks for looking out for me...at least this way..i might end up with some SWEET PIN STRIPES..lol..

i will send you a PM now ;)

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Sorry about my post right after yours Sean, must have been a split second difference.

Outlaw Addict,

If they are the ones im thinking of..... The rivits are the ones that are pressed on with an air chisel. Smooth edges with a dimple in the center. Practically flush on the other side...

Premium Features