• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

my impulse replica kit

Mar 4, 2009
My Buddy Sledhead162 is building my kit for me. Let me know what u guys think? Its turning out really nice!

Attachments

• 004 (2).jpg
    004 (2).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 590
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 536
  • 006 (3).jpg
    006 (3).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 539
  • 007 (3).jpg
    007 (3).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 496
  • 008 (3).jpg
    008 (3).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 517
  • new 015.jpg
    new 015.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:
D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
So let me get this straight... You guys are knocking off an Impulse kit??
If that's true good luck on getting any info from the guys that run the Impulse kits.
Do you have a good reason? or am I getting the carriage in front of the horses..
I will let you explain yourself before you get burned at the stake..

M

minecat

Nov 27, 2007
Winnemucca, Nevada
So let me get this straight... You guys are knocking off an Impulse kit??
If that's true good luck on getting any info from the guys that run the Impulse kits.
Do you have a good reason? or am I getting the carriage in front of the horses..
I will let you explain yourself before you get burned at the stake..

Maybe they just dont want to pay the outrageous prices that the turbo kit builders are selling them for

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
Maybe they just dont want to pay the outrageous prices that the turbo kit builders are selling them for

And that is understandable, BUT Don't expect the loyal Impulse customers to help out on info or parts.
Paul has done a ton of R&D on his kits and makes sure that his customers get what he thinks is the best. And lets don't forget the countless hours he is on the phone with his customers.
Outrageous prices?
How much do you think anybody that sells turbo kits make for a profit?

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Whoa Whoa

Personally I think this is heading the wrong direction. Obviously this guy has the ability and tools to build a quality setup. He is not asking for anyone to tell him what they are running for a setup on the impulse kit. Some people just prefer to ride something that they built with their two hands. And a large part of the hobby of snowmobiling for them is just that building the sled as much as riding it.

Also please remember that "Imatation is the best form of Flattery". All of the turbo kits have there own quirks. And design(impulse may be one of the best designs in my opinion). One has to remember that the price in a turbo kit is not only for design of the kit, materials, and R&D. But also for shop time to build the components that are not purchased, Ussually shop rates can range from $40 to $100/hr. With probally 10-20hrs in building each kit that is already developed. So possible $400-$2000 of shop time in any given production kit. This guy like myself probally does this as a hobby. He does it on his spare time, time when he otherwise may have been sitting belly up to the bar, in front of the tv or something else not as productive and chose to use the time to build something he can be proud of.

With no offense to paul or any other turbo builders(as they do a great job, r&d'ing building, selling and customer service). But There are guys out there that have the ability and skill to build quality components, but don't have the business sense or want to make a business out of it and prefer to be a "weekend warrior". As I am assuming this gentleman is and a good one at that.

O BTW. Looks great wish you the best of luck.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
“Imitation is the highest form of flattery”

I dont think its a big deal if your building it for your own personal use. NOW.....if you copy it, make a kit and then start selling them, thats a different story.

Just my .02 Eric

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
T583,
You make a great point.
Do you think that if these guys need some info and do call Paul for help that Paul should help them out?

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Looks good. I really don't believe anyone should get their "panties" in a bunch. No bash intended. I have a friend that has had a mid mount systems on RX-1s for years now. He has one on a Nytro also. His own system. We are changing my Apex from a BD front mount to mid mount now also. Paul has an incredible system, no doubt. Like was posted above though, if one has the ability and know how to install a system, why not.

My 02

Sam

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
T583,
You make a great point.
Do you think that if these guys need some info and do call Paul for help that Paul should help them out?

That is Paul's decision. I can say that I know the individual who is making this version and he is doing it because he can. It is not exactly the same as an Impulse, in some ways maybe better. It is a challenge for him to build something like this. Look at Alpines new kit. Is everyone yelling and screaming at them because their new kit highly resembles an MC or Powderlites???!!!!!!!

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
“Imitation is the highest form of flattery”

I dont think its a big deal if your building it for your own personal use. NOW.....if you copy it, make a kit and then start selling them, thats a different story.

Just my .02 Eric

I agree with you there. That is not right but happens more than it should. Going to the Puyallup snow show was proof enough. The bad blood between XXXmodrods and mountain fit hoods is a good example. I will be introducing a product in the next few weeks and you can be sure it will likely be copied as well. All a guy can do is make a topnotch product at a fair price.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Opportunity I say

T583,
You make a great point.

I personally feel as though it should be seen as a opportunity. First of all there are alot of turbo sleds out there. Yes Pauls run great from what i have heard. But look at it this way. This guy has built a turbo setup that looks alot like pauls and someone may ask him what kinda turbo setup is that. And he may say it is "completely homemade custom" or he may say it is homemade but a replica to an Impulse system. Now if it is working well great. That guy who asked may not have the ability to build his own system but has the money to buy one and head straight to paul at impulse. If it is not working great and the gentleman said tells the guy I called paul and he would not help me out or sell me his fuel setup or clutching setup(Just a hypothetical. I don't know paul or his nature of business). And this guy he is telling is steered away from a impulse kit because this is virtually a impulse kit in his mind and it doesn't work. Now this guy that is steered away from buying from paul may not be mechanically inclined or no anything about turbo kits or never heard of this forum to read about them he just knows he wants one and that the setup that is alot "like" impulses doesn't work. And takes his business elsewhere. Then Paul is shooting himself in the foot.

I think that the turbo builder has to watch out for a guy that could take his setup and try to sell turbo kits that are the same. But in the end I think that guy would buy a kit from paul copy it exactly and sell it as almost new and produce his own impulse kit and sell it as X brand.

I think this is what customer service is.

I think customer service will sell more kits.

Here is a story.
I built a turbo sdi sled last year. Ground up. Bought a fuel controller from X company. Got poor Customer service and was told to call another company that this guy sells fuel controllers to and ask them. The first time I called they said that they were not in the shop and that they would call me back in a hour and had my number.(never got called back). Tried for about a month. With no answer. Called a couple times each week. No answer. Then finally got ahold of them again. Same story I am not in the shop asked for my number told me they would all me back the next day. And again no call back. Needless to say. Yes all I was looking for was customer support from a company that I spent good money to buy something from. And didnt get it. And the other company I was refered to didn't want to help me for a second. Lesson learned. I will not say anything good about my dealings with them.

Really all this could go either way. These are the thoughts that Impulse and other turbo builders need to keep in mind.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
In the end

But really in the end. It is up to Paul to do what he wants. I hope that he is flattered that someone would want to copy his setup. And doesn't take it as someone stole his ideas. And for his sake I hope his has kept some of his ideas in the back of his head for the next big thing! That is what will put him on top. Not where he has been but where he is going to go with it!

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
T583,
You make a great point.
You keep saying "these guys" to me this seems more like one guy, who is making a kit for himself. I don't know Paul, But what I have heard about him leads me to believe that if this guy called him with a problem, Paul would help him out. BUT if 09 NYTRO RDR is planning to mass produce and sell his kits as a "Impulse replica" thats b.s. and flame on. My .02

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
You keep saying "these guys" to me this seems more like one guy, who is making a kit for himself. I don't know Paul, But what I have heard about him leads me to believe that if this guy called him with a problem, Paul would help him out. BUT if 09 NYTRO RDR is planning to mass produce and sell his kits as a "Impulse replica" thats b.s. and flame on. My .02

Totally Agree. Doesn't look like it though. Probally a guy just building a kit for himself. I hope anyways.

Well back to the point of this guys post. He probally is just looking for a pat on the back, or a "good job there man".

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Totally Agree. Doesn't look like it though. Probally a guy just building a kit for himself. I hope anyways.

Well back to the point of this guys post. He probally is just looking for a pat on the back, or a "good job there man".

Sledhead162 is building one for himself and one for his friend 09 Nytro Ryder. Wouldn't think he has time or desire to mass produce kits. He has a fulltime job that takes up way too much time. Not his style either.

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
All right now we are starting to see the bigger picture here.
We have 2 guys building a couple of turbo kits that resemble an Impulse kit.
I personally don't have an issue with someone trying to make up there own kit and learning the ins and outs. Everyone that makes turbo kits had to start somewhere.
I am just a loyal customer and supporter to Paul and to Impulse. As like anyone else would be to defend there own brand of turbo kits.
I don't want to see a thread saying "Impulse replica kit" and have the integrity jeopardized for Paul and all of his HARD work!

So this is were I am coming from.
and yes it is my 2 cents.
cheers:beer;

Premium Features