• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2004 Summit 800 HO Air Box Swap

J
Apr 6, 2009
Thinking of removing the stock box and installing filters? Motor is all stock. Would there need to be any carb/jet adjustments with this change? What about the sensor on top of the box? Would it change the performance at all? Thanks

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
ive dont what you are talking about but only because im running a dual manifold nitrous system. you may have to change jetting, will depend on your sled just keep an eye on it. maybe bump up a size on the main to be safe. if you do this you will want to add a fair bit of venting to your sled so it can still get some cold air, otherwise it wont work so goo. for the temp sensor i just zip tied it to the carb rack, inbetween the filters for now. i plan on making a nice bracket. i believe its a good idea. lose some weight by removing the airbox and side pannel airbox, and possible power increase.

J
Apr 6, 2009
Air box/reeds

I fogot to mention the boyesen rage cage. Was planning on running 390/20's with that set-up with stock exhaust and stock air box.

x-5

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Park City mt
If you ride the mountains/deep, keep the airbox....filters are good for a power decrease.

Why do you say good for a power loss? Myself and stuck have ran pods in the mountains...never seen a loss. Whats your thoughts? Is there a diff in a ported vs stock motor? ares are ported.

C
Nov 28, 2007
Elizabeth Co
Why do you say good for a power loss? Myself and stuck have ran pods in the mountains...never seen a loss. Whats your thoughts? Is there a diff in a ported vs stock motor? ares are ported.

This has been debated for years

1: hot underhood filtered air?

2: cool outside air but has to go through all the pluming?

some sleds work with pods and some dont. I would say that if yours is working leave it.
but if its a stock 03-06 and you want a little more air change to the 07 boxes

Stuck

Premium Member
Feb 4, 2002
Bridger, MT
If you ride the mountains/deep, keep the airbox....filters are good for a power decrease.

As x-5 said, filters are good for a power increase. More air equals more power, more air never equals a decrease in power, unless you don't know how to tune properly, and if thats the case stock would be the way to go. As far as under hood heat, a little venting is all that is necessary to keep temps down.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Wow, this topic AGAIN.
The people that work on and BUILD motors have been saying for years that all pods do is suck up the under hood heat and that's why they lose power. More air doesn't always equal more power. The stock airboxes do a good job of getting outside air to the carbs. The 07 air boxes do an even better job and all they are is just a bigger hole between the two boxes.

Now if all your doing is high speed or hill climbing then pods will work just fine...whether they'll make more power on a stock motor????

Bottom line, stock motor don't waste your time.

Last edited:

Stuck

Premium Member
Feb 4, 2002
Bridger, MT
Wow, this topic AGAIN.
The people that work on and BUILD motors have been saying for years that all pods do is suck up the under hood heat and that's why they lose power. More air doesn't always equal more power. The stock airboxes do a good job of getting outside air to the carbs. The 07 air boxes do an even better job and all they are is just a bigger hole between the two boxes.

Now if all your doing is high speed or hill climbing then pods will work just fine...whether they'll make more power on a stock motor????

Bottom line, stock motor don't waste your time.

k dude,

I guess some people do it with good results and some don't. The sleds I have put pods on, or my friends that have put pods on theirs, have all worked well. All were used for all around mountain riding. That being said its probably not the best mod for an all stock sled.

Premium Features