• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch heat

V
Jun 23, 2008
Airdrie Alberta Canada
just looking for some ideas on how to get rid 0f clutch heat, ive got the slp vents and some more little things done but what else could i do? had it out the other day and the one on the inside of the primary ( forget the name of it) was really hot, can you get some stuff at the hardware store to make something on the side pannels??

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Agreed with the above posts.

Also, When was the last time the clutch was completely serviced? New spring, bushings in the weights, could the weights themselves be damaged and binding? If you can figure out why your clutch is getting so hot, you should be able to get it to cool down without any more vents. Motor mounts like mentioned above could be a big factor, have you ever pulled the motor and had a look at the mounts (front ones especially)? Do you have the SLP torque arm or torque stop? How does the factory torque stop look? If it is mashed out you probably need a new one and new motor mounts.

That's the thing about the 9s, a simple little problem could be a lot deeper than you initially think.

Anything more you can tell us? Someone might be able to help narrow down your problem a little bit more.

Good luck:beer;

F

Fast Freddie

Mar 1, 2009
Shoshone Idaho
Put side panel vents in to get cross air flow & some foot well vents to. Some makers are! R & M , 2 cool vents , FNI , slp ect. venting is key to help in cooling. Also check motor mounts, belt alignment, put slp torque arms, compfusion motor mounts to keep motor in alignment.

Fast Freddie:beer;:beer;

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Agreed with the above posts.

Also, When was the last time the clutch was completely serviced? New spring, bushings in the weights, could the weights themselves be damaged and binding? If you can figure out why your clutch is getting so hot, you should be able to get it to cool down without any more vents. Motor mounts like mentioned above could be a big factor, have you ever pulled the motor and had a look at the mounts (front ones especially)? Do you have the SLP torque arm or torque stop? How does the factory torque stop look? If it is mashed out you probably need a new one and new motor mounts.

That's the thing about the 9s, a simple little problem could be a lot deeper than you initially think.

Anything more you can tell us? Someone might be able to help narrow down your problem a little bit more.

Good luck:beer;

Read this post and follow 94fordguy advice. Any of the above advice will help you.

V
Jun 23, 2008
Airdrie Alberta Canada
the machine was only riddin one season last christmas till now, theres only 650miles on the sled all the updates were done before i got it checked it with a friend at the dealer. gearing is most likely stock as the guy that perviously owned it only put on 64miles and was takin to the mountains by his wife for 1 ride. there was 2 of us riding on it together when i noticed the heat but didn't think that it shoulda been that hot.
can u look at the mounts too see if they are pushed in with out takin the motor out?
the clutching was only ever cleaned by me sprayed out with cleaner mostly everytime i came back from a trip.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
the machine was only riddin one season last christmas till now, theres only 650miles on the sled all the updates were done before i got it checked it with a friend at the dealer. gearing is most likely stock as the guy that perviously owned it only put on 64miles and was takin to the mountains by his wife for 1 ride. there was 2 of us riding on it together when i noticed the heat but didn't think that it shoulda been that hot.
can u look at the mounts too see if they are pushed in with out takin the motor out?
the clutching was only ever cleaned by me sprayed out with cleaner mostly everytime i came back from a trip.

What kind of cleaner did you spray on your clutch? A scotch brite pad with hot soapy water is the only thing that should touch your clutch shieves. Never spray any kind of petoleum product on them as it causes slipage which causes heat. Should also scrub the sides of a new drive belt with hot soapy water to get the mold release (oil) off of it.

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
Motor HAS to come out to inspect all motor mounts. If your push stop on the exaust side, or your stop on the clutch side that you can see without removing the motor is looking damaged, you probably need new motor mounts. I just went through this. Comp fusions, your going to pay the money, but good value. They are a new design compared to the stocks. Good luck!!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
VJ..

for sure change your gearing..i know you ride mountains, so go with 19/42...that will lower your clutch heat for sure..

and like everyone else said..front mounts, side vents, also make sure your belt has been shimmed for the belt your using..(i assume you have the 115 belt?) some people dont shim the clutch when they use that belt..you might also want to get it balanced while yout messing with it..

good luck bro

V
Jun 23, 2008
Airdrie Alberta Canada
VJ..

for sure change your gearing..i know you ride mountains, so go with 19/42...that will lower your clutch heat for sure..

and like everyone else said..front mounts, side vents, also make sure your belt has been shimmed for the belt your using..(i assume you have the 115 belt?) some people dont shim the clutch when they use that belt..you might also want to get it balanced while yout messing with it..

good luck bro

thanks sean, i just took er apart and cleaned it up with soap and hot water Trenchmaster said, nothing was really moving freely, seems to be alot better now, weights actually move freely now.
iam gonna look into that gearing for sure.!

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Gear it down

Mine ran super hot with stock gearing. Just drop it down like said before and get a couple more vents from Firenice and R&M you'll be good to go. As long as your happy with the rpms your pulling your primary should be fine it probably has blk/grn spring w/10-72's. Maybe just a new spring in the future and re-torque it to 96ft lbs and ride it.

V
Jun 23, 2008
Airdrie Alberta Canada
i've been lookin at homemade vents in the side pannels and tonight I built some vents for the old girl. came out really nice i'll post up some pics tommorow, almost looks like Sean's wifes 700 little vent on the side pannel.

i'll get some pics tommorow. Iam really impressed on how they turned out!!

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Remember there is no kit to rebuild a 900 clutch all the pieces come seperate!
Regear and if needed a new chain protect chain case cover from heat also!
Did you remove the doors and pockets for extra air also?

V
Jun 23, 2008
Airdrie Alberta Canada
haha thats what kinda gave me the idea Sean. anyways i just used regular door screen but put 4 layers on it and glued each layer to each other. heres the glue i used and the Screen too. These vents are gonna be tuffer then boiled owl $hit. :face-icon-small-hap iam gonna make one for the other side as well.

i had a heat vent out of a bobcat so i cut it into the panel on the side it it flips open or closed.

the SLP vent i know.... its melted i hit it with the heat gun by accident when i removed the foam off of the side panel. :mad::mad:

Ohh... and that thing on my handle bar adjuster is my beer holder. lol

DSCF0403.jpg DSCF0406.jpg DSCF0405.jpg DSCF0404.jpg DSCF0401.jpg DSCF0402.jpg

Last edited:
V
Jun 23, 2008
Airdrie Alberta Canada
ya i know. i drove around yesterday to a few places lookin for them and not one place had em. this will work for me for now, the sliver kinda brightens er up anyways... iam happy with the end result.. total cost of everything... price of 13 rivets... lol

Premium Features