• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Unsticking a sled

W

Wish

Apr 30, 2002
Tri Cities, WA
www.staceysdesign.com
One of my biggest challenges in snowmobiling is my size and strength (or lack of)
I'm doing my part in trying to get in better shape, but lets face it..once a sled is packed in the snow/full of snow..it's just plain HEAVY and awkward to get unstuck.
And what girl wants to stand back and check her nails while the big burly men pull it out for her? I don't...:eek:

What have you found that helps make this task easier? There are actual training videos on how to pick up downed bikes....so I know there has to be some technique to getting unstuck...

There's also some great things to have with you....shovel (obviously) stuck straps...etc. What do you find most helpful?

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
honestly I've thrown out my back more than once trying to unstick sleds. So far the best technique for me is my shovel. Take off the helmet and pack, shovel her out, stomp down a little path infront of the sled, and then get back on and ride. If you have to lift from the bumper, make sure to use your legs!

Sno-bunjies (typed "bunjie 5 different ways and it still looks wrong so I give up) also work great when you have someone to pull from the front.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
The best thing I ever did was take my windshield off so I can just roll the thing over when it's stuck...assuming I'm stuck on a hill and it won't keep rolling:eek:

Otherwise, it just takes patience, a shovel and a lot of stomping around, and in front of the sled...or even easier, a snow jack;)

S

sledpiggy

Feb 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I have been stuck in some bad spots where my buddies couldn't get to me... so I try and:
-get stuck on an angle if possible... not straight up. The sled will already be in a better position to pull it around.
-After that shovel underneath the bellypan and shovel the downside of the sled, free it up as best you can
-then wiggle and pull the skis around as much as you can...
-then repeat shovelling, repeat pulling... inch by inch it will come out...
-pull it around until you feel you could start it and ride it out. You might need to fill in your trench if the track isn't quite touching...

I hope that helps!

P
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
Im a firm beliver in the "Marmot Move" Burrow your little way under the front of the sled and dig a REALLY BIG hole all the way back to the track and then some. sit on the front bumper and push the sled so its headed down hill so to speak... pack in the snow under the back of the track, tromp out a nice little trail in front and voila. :)

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
well on flat ground sticks..try this..stomp the snow down the length of each side...then grab the frt suspension and tip the sled up on its side(most riders can do this pretty easy even by themselves), once up on its side..kick/shovel all the snow from about the frt bumper and down the side into the trench left by the track, once its mounded full flip the sled back down on it..and off you go...on a hill....I just roll the sled over..after setting the park brake..same deal dig out the down hill side some and dig out the uphill side of the track..then pull it over(I try to roll from the uphill side whenever possible so the machine doesnt run me over)..once it starts over keep your hands on it and be ready to slow it down so it doesnt roll all the way down the hill..by the time it comes back to the track it should be pointed straight down hill...I never lift a sled up unless there is no other way to get it moved..and if it does need lifted I never do it alone..only with help....

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I cant remember the last time we "lifted" a stuck sled unless you count ones that at all tangled up in trees and logs:D. Like aksnowrider said, the single biggest thing you can do to make yourself usefull until others see you are stuck and offer to help is to start stomping all around your sled like you are mad that you are stuck! Down both sides, from ski tip, to the back bumper. Reach as far under you your sled as you can. Just keep stomping until it starts to pack in tight. Then get in front of your sled and do the same thing until you are about 2 sled lengths out in front of it. Once again, stick your leg under the front of your sled back in there as far as you can. At this point your buddies should be there to help. If not, they aren't worth riding with! Joking aside, at this point you can most likely ride it out without any help, but if someone grabs a ski and gives you a jerk as you smack the throttle and hang on, you should be on your way. This is all assuming you are on flat ground or near flat. If on a hill, like others have said, start rolling it over again and again til it's pointed down hill. Gravity is your freind when stuck. Don't try to fight it, go with it. Even on flat ground there times, especailly when alone I will roll my sled just to trun it around rather than to lift it around. The front end is a bigger barrel than the back end is so every time you roll it over, it turns about 90 degrees. Sure beats trying to lift it.

Last edited:
The advice everyone has given so far is right on the money. This is best piece of advice I have other than what all the other ladies have told you....It may sound silly but if I know that I am going to be stuck for sure I will step off the side and give my sled a strong push away from me and give it a little gas and let go of the handlebars, allowing the sled to pop up on top of the snow ahead of me. Assuming of course that it isnt headed for a tree or any other dangerous obstacles. So instead of trying to ride it out and trenching your sled, usually just by giving it a little braaap and shove away from me, the sled will pop up, or at the least you wont be totally buried. I usually wont do it on a steep hill, just because I don't think its very safe, but it really does help. Just learning the mechanics of how your sled rides and your "stuck point" can really save you some energy.

Never feel guilty about bein stuck.... It's almost always going to be a team effort getting unstuck. As long as you start either stomping or shoveling in front of your skis, bulkhead, rails etc. most people you ride with are not going to mind getting you unstuck. Just think of the snow like wheel chocks on the wheels of a trailer, you're not gonna go anywhere if you dont clear it out. Just take your time, remember to take breaks if you start getting short of breath and save your back. Good luck!

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I bought a Snowbunje for this season. Last year I did some stomping around the front of the sled and the sides by the track. :eek:

you was only stomping cause you was mad.........:D
hi ya shweety girl..so mag said you was giving me his turbo as a early b-day present...thanks...........

T
Dec 20, 2008
Radium, BC
Learning to 'blurp' it outta the deep stuff just before you're stuck is the best move you can learn! Davidoff points this out in one of his vids -swears by it!
On hills, I agree that getting 'er planted sideways on the hill instead of pointing straight up is a must! An easy roll on a short or powdery hill, or an easier tug around on a steep hill. It's best not to need help when you're stuck up a steep hill, that's usually when the trouble starts when too many sleds get up there to unstick one sled.
We roll them over whenever possible. And like everyone says...stomp, stomp, stomp...shovel, shovel, shovel...worse case scenario you shovel yourself down 4 feet and start from level ground...:(
We got a bungie as well, but seem to not use it. You get used to doing things a certain way, but it worked good when we did use it.

I still remember the days when I could lift the back of my 1980 skidoo440 up and out by myself when I was stuck...now, I can't even budge my sled when it's really stuck! But I sure couldn't go anywhere I can now! :D

S

Soccerd6

Nov 21, 2007
Marysville, WA
SNOWBUNJE!

also, the first thing that came to my head when I saw this thread was MARMOT!

my philosphy is to get as much snow out of the track as possible - I refuse to attempt to move a sled that has snow in it - snow is HEAVY! we all have shovels - use them!

D
Jun 17, 2009
Wyoming
The best method for me is to drill a small hole in the throttle, get a piece string run it through the hole and then over the hood, pull on the front ski and at the same time pull the string, the only problem with this is you can get run over:D But hey it works, it also helps to pack down snow in the front of the sled.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I use the pack one side, roll it up and fill the trench in method. Being a tall guy I have a lot of leverage for this, but most of the guys/gals I ride with now do this too. Also, once you get the sled up on its side, pack down under the belly pan out a ways so the sled has a runway to climb up on when taking off. I have also had to fill the trench in and packing it down, set the sled up and then roll to the other side and repeat with more fresh snow, otherwise you can get too much snow built up to roll the sled up flat again.

Also, the "blurping" technique can be used in deep fluffy snow if you have to stop. If you watch the bow wave the front of the sled creates, imagine stopping right on top of it. With your weight back on the sled, let off the throttle and you will feel the sled ride up onto the bow wave. When you are immediately on top of hit, clamp down on the brake and compress this added snow. If you have reverse, back up a foot or so, then shut it off. This compresses more snow right under the sled and you haven't spun it at all. Now when you go to take off, you are on a packed base with about a foot of run out to help get you going. I ride a 144" so I'm always looking for a little advantage to keep up with the longer tracks.

T
Dec 20, 2008
Radium, BC
The best method for me is to drill a small hole in the throttle, get a piece string run it through the hole and then over the hood, pull on the front ski and at the same time pull the string, the only problem with this is you can get run over:D But hey it works, it also helps to pack down snow in the front of the sled.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I'd end up under my sled with track marks up my face! LOL

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Some great tips! :)

We have a snowbunje......and it gets used. I'm a bit more *cautious* about my sticks, so it's been used far more for the hubby (and others). Lately I've been saying what the heck, if I get stuck, I get stuck. After reading about the "Marmot Move" last year, I gave that a shot. That helps out quite a bit. The first time the hubby saw me under my sled I got the funniest look, but what I had accomplished helped it to be a real fast unstuck. :cool:

S
Nov 26, 2007
Craig Colorado
This wouldn't be an issue if you ladies stayed at home in the kitchen where you belong!
I'm kidding of course! The key to unsticking a sled is teamwork, weather you're a man, woman or kid, all the above methods work better with 2 or more people.

D
Oct 7, 2009
Washington
This wouldn't be an issue if you ladies stayed at home in the kitchen where you belong!
I'm kidding of course! The key to unsticking a sled is teamwork, weather you're a man, woman or kid, all the above methods work better with 2 or more people.

My hub is a far better cook than I...if anyone should not be allowed in a kitchen, it's me! :p

CANNONMAN

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado/Wisconsin
www.thundermountainlodge.net
My lovely better half now has a Hi-Jacker sled jack on here sled. She is 5' nothing and about 110 lbs. She always had a problem getting unstuck until I would show up which I tried to do promptly but you know how it is sometimes! Anyways with this jack she is out in no time with very little energy expended. It literally take seconds to hookup and lift sled out. These things are great and I find myself using it all the time and my buddies are always waving me over to use the Jack. I have tried every way possible to get unstuck and personally I don't even notice it on the sled when I ride and won't be without one ever again. She loves the thing and thinks it is the best "mod" I ever bought her for her sled. Make sure and buy the original as it is built much better than the copycat one.

Premium Features