• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Studding an older track.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
Can it be done? Which type should I use? The studs that drill into the end of the paddle or the ones the poke through the track itself. Can I stud the track while its still on the machine or does it have to come completely off?

How many should I do? Living in VT it gets Icy.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Where the Buffalohawk roam.

Talk to him, Eric has the 121" he removed before studding the new one, he told me once upon a time he offered it for sale to a Twoski for $200 and was refused for its battered spouse like condition.

He should ship it to you on your dime and trial run it with the studs you think you would need.

He also is in the market for a new helmet!:D
BubbleShield.jpg

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
Eric = Buffalohawk

hey, check my profile pictures....nice 2.5" studs!!! i ran the lug screws from boivin= JUNK!!! wore down by the end of the weekend on the icy trails and all the road crossings around here. then i tried the TLS carbide tipped lug screws....worked good,lasted long, but seemed to cause a bunch of lugs to fall off... the other thing on the adb screws is they are so fat they end up tearing through the lugs when they flex. remember too,im on a 503! imagine what the 6 or 8 hunnert will do! my new 2.5" studs have been awesome. icy hills can be walked up with ease while the 2 ski guys stuck at the bottom say no way,take the bypass and other ones at the top stare with amazement!!

did you see the new fox v3 carbon fiber helmet? SICK!!

2.5 studs

hey, check my profile pictures....nice 2.5" studs!!! i ran the lug screws from boivin= JUNK!!! wore down by the end of the weekend on the icy trails and all the road crossings around here. then i tried the TLS carbide tipped lug screws....worked good,lasted long, but seemed to cause a bunch of lugs to fall off... the other thing on the adb screws is they are so fat they end up tearing through the lugs when they flex. remember too,im on a 503! imagine what the 6 or 8 hunnert will do! my new 2.5" studs have been awesome. icy hills can be walked up with ease while the 2 ski guys stuck at the bottom say no way,take the bypass and other ones at the top stare with amazement!!

did you see the new fox v3 carbon fiber helmet? SICK!!
Where can I get the same studs you have? Cant seem to find any that long?

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
i found them on ebay, not sure of the brand but i never found them listed with any of the stud manufactures... maybe one the hawkers going to the show can ask around with the hillclimbers

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
Problem is most of em have got it all backwards.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskm6kDOao0

So are the conditions Eric, don't you listen to that phone, mountain snow conditions mandate softer rubber compounds and flexibility in deep, and steep.

They put the spikes on for the golf course, such athletes!:eek:

You see addict, like people skiing and snowboarding in the West you are spoiled and lose your edge feel and become lazy in the powder. In the East we get all conditions including powder right out our back doors. On a windy day I may have to ride a steep Icy wind swept trails(ice-blue groomers) to the hillside that has 4 ft of blown in snow, the spikes will make the Ice fun and I am sure my hawk will still float in the pow. I ski in the East and when I went out West for a winter in 93' I was a f**n God compared to the average hard core talker. Its the same with the Hawk we become well rounded "survivors" that can ride anything anywhere. I am sure if I brought you out riding around here you would say it sucks, while I am freaking out loving the conditions.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Ah so!

But Grasshopper I have been to the East, where the Comisac roamed, I was introduced to Ben Law of Artic Cat fame, the only thing in common was he and I ride snow with a MX helmet and goggles.

But to my surprise I too realized that the only way I could enjoy myself in those off limits farmer fields, twisty roads, and steep banksides was with the Oneski!

Saw lots of Amish buggies going down and at me on the trails, but they needed farm triangles if a flock of Hawks were to touch down in the east.:face-icon-small-hap

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
But Grasshopper I have been to the East, where the Comisac roamed, I was introduced to Ben Law of Artic Cat fame, the only thing in common was he and I ride snow with a MX helmet and goggles.

But to my surprise I too realized that the only way I could enjoy myself in those off limits farmer fields, twisty roads, and steep banksides was with the Oneski!

Saw lots of Amish buggies going down and at me on the trails, but they needed farm triangles if a flock of Hawks were to touch down in the east.:face-icon-small-hap

Alright Mr Miaggi, come to Vt where we live in the MTN's.. It's nice here!
Comisac live to the East of lake Erie no? Wicked lake effect snow there!

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
You see addict, like people skiing and snowboarding in the West you are spoiled and lose your edge feel and become lazy in the powder. In the East we get all conditions including powder right out our back doors. On a windy day I may have to ride a steep Icy wind swept trails(ice-blue groomers) to the hillside that has 4 ft of blown in snow, the spikes will make the Ice fun and I am sure my hawk will still float in the pow. I ski in the East and when I went out West for a winter in 93' I was a f**n God compared to the average hard core talker. Its the same with the Hawk we become well rounded "survivors" that can ride anything anywhere. I am sure if I brought you out riding around here you would say it sucks, while I am freaking out loving the conditions.

Talking of my own experience from east to west, that's totally true TCS. That is if you don't loose interest down the road like 95% of my snowboarding friends, myself included, around 19 years old, who couldn't find anymore fun to have on these icy groomed slopes & parks. I got back to it when I moved here and I'm just loving it so much more... Riding all that powder for me is just like being in a dream and riding a cloud ! Then somewhere through the day you get a bad stuck and it's not a dream anymore !!! Hahahahaha !

Back to the track thing, the problem with the '06 and older 121" & 136" track is they are not designed to get screwed ! '07 and '08 136" tracks do have these dedicated integrated "fingers" in each lug where you can properly screw studs in. Too bad it took ADB 5 years to come up with this simple update that's basically only a modification to the track mold... Did anyone had good luck with this new track design and studs ?

If you do it with ice racing studs, get the 1" and 3/4", they'll still allow your lugs to bend instead of tearing the lugs off as 1-3/4" studs will. That's what i did on my good'ol 503 and so far I did one complete eastern winter (mid-January to end of March) and I got them worn off right to the point where I needed to put new ones in on the opposite side of each lug. Didn't tore any lug off though. Good thing is you don't need much in order to hook up reaaaally good. I only had about 50 something on the 121" in and it was hooking up like crazy on icy spots.

BuffaloHawk, didn't you had a great setup with woody's track studs last year ? Longer life, good hook-up... Sure looked weird to me though !!!

As far as riding here out west, it never even came across my mind to stud my track as I can't remember going over one single icy spot in 2 full winters... Spoiled aren't we...

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
powder??

i could only wish to ride powder everyday and not deal with the icy conditions i have here....

tlk my studs may look wierd but all you guys have funnin looking hawks with an extra couple feet of track hangin off the back! you need long track to go...i need funny studs to go and stop. the stud pattern was copied from most pro sno-x sleds

tony.."I ride snow with a MX helmet and goggles." isnt there a picture of you wearing a mx helmet and shop glasses not goggles on here somewhere?

cats do it doggy style??? does that mean dogs do it kitty style?

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
The sheet metal screws work great up here in AK. But we don't cross any asphalt or ride alot of icy trails either. They work great for the occasional ice shoot or wind blown lake crossing.

Premium Features