• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

dumb question

A
Oct 22, 2008
As you guys can tell I'm really trying to learn the ins and outs (mechanically) of my new to me 03 mountain cat 900. I've only ridden 3 seasons so far and my sleds have all ran great and needed no major repairts so I'm lacking experience of really knowing how the major components of the sled work. The guy I got it from said that he while he had it in the shop getting a new jack shaft that he had them change one of the gears from 40 or 41 tooth to a 44 tooth. Which gear is he referring to?. He also said that it improved the top end, but I know when I added a 14 tooth front sprocket to my quad(from a 13 tooth) it improved my low end. Was he backwards in what he said?.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Think of it like this, your gearing now is probably 19/43. So this is like a 19 tooth of the front of your quad and a 43 on the rear. Going from a 41 to a 43 would gear it down. That is actually a very good gear ratio for that sled. The gears are inside the chaincase. Right next to your silencer. The jack shaft runs through the disc brake and then into the back of the chaincase. The top gear is hooked to that jack shaft the bottom gear is hooked to the driver shaft under the sled that turns the track. What track length are you running?

Last edited:

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
it funny you mention your sled is a 1/2 early build some of the EB's had 19-41 gears in them, love them on the trail but in the hill you need 19/43 or so. replace you secondary spring every year! red/w in the middle hole.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
If your ever working on your sled and you run into a problem give me a call and I will help you any way I can.

Jeff

hey who slapping ya with red..??...oh well leave it be...but i can;t understand it as you fellas are real helpful...you must be stepping on the odd toe...keep up the great participation..

A
Oct 22, 2008
hey

yeah, holy crap, this IS the most helpfull forum I've ever been on. Thank you for all the awesome info. I am hesitant to ask some of my questions for fear of being snickered on for not knowing 1/16 of the stuff you guys know. Well thats cool, so my sled IS geared down, better torque for the hills correct?. I could care less about an great top end speed, its the 0-50 that I want to be strong and crisp. I'm running a 144" track. I'd like to run a 144x16 instead of going longer.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Don't be afraid to ask questions. The only time it gets dumb is when you ask the same one over and over when you keep getting the same answer. Had a guy on a P & Z board I am on that drove us all nuts doing that.

Yes, gearing down does give you more torque/ acceleration but less top speed.

S
Dec 8, 2007
Also new to my 03 900, what kind of a job is it to change out the chain? I have a full shop and have worked on trucks and quads my whole life but am new to sledding.

Premium Features