• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cooler ideas

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Anyone have any good rear cooler ideas for a 05 IQR 800? I have a 153" Van Amberg extension, 151" ez-ryde, 151x2.5x15 camoplast track, and i need to get an idea of what to use for a cooler. I do not want to use the stock cooler cause i don't want the ugly cross over tube and its in my way.

Is there anyways you can get rid of the cross over? My idea was to cap it off, cut the ends at a 45 and connect the cooler to make it a true u cooler. Is this possible?

I have like $4000 worth of stuff i have bought for the sled but it seams like every week i have to throw another $500 at it and i i would just like to save some money.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
Both Carl (meathooker) and i got rid of the cross over hose and added extra capacity to our sled by doing what you described. I used a miter saw to cut the angles on some extra cooler material out of another iqr and had it welded up. So now you have to find some extra coolers that nobody's using.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I also did the same thing that you are describing. I bought a new cooler for about 75 bucks. Cut each end 45* and then cut off the nipples off the old crossover and had a weld shop weld them up for me. Works great and cheap! Weld job was about 80 bucks. Here is a pic

coolers1.jpg coolers.jpg

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
U-Cooler.

I would read the thread that I started a couple down, about removing the front cooler. Lots of idea's in there. Call Brad at Power Addiction is the best one though!

Jan 10, 2008
Just wondering, how did everyone close the hole on the top of the stock coolers? The stock coolers sit right up tight to the tunnel. Welding a piece over the top pushes them away from tunnel.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
cooler hole.

Just wondering, how did everyone close the hole on the top of the stock coolers? The stock coolers sit right up tight to the tunnel. Welding a piece over the top pushes them away from tunnel.

Cut them off before the hole in the cooler, then (because I believe you will be extending it also) add more cooler up to where you are U'ing it. If you had someone that is a very good welder I think they could make plug piece and weld it in there. Then grind down the welds. But if you are extending it, just cut them off before the holes.

I know Brad charges $400.00 for the dual pass U coolers, but I think it is alot less to send him yours and just have him extend and U them. Thats what I did first time. Doing a dual pass now.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
I used one out of an old 700 wildcat ,its about 6'' wide 45ed it welded new ends on total 10.00 bucks cools 214hp had to add t-stat out of a storm to keep it above 80deg now does not get above 145deg.

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
I bought a length of cooler material from Ted at Terra Alps, it is nearly identical to the stock iqr cooler material and made my own double pass with it by just cutting and butt welding the ends onto the stock cooler lines.
Of course it helps I'm a welder and I have a tig at home, but I'm sure if you cut the pieces and brought them into a shop with a tig welder and all they had to do was sit down and weld it, it should only cost about $50....that's what I would charge
here's mine....
PA200541.jpg

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
hey poorider, how much did it cost in total to do that set up?

I just checked the bill, it was $85 canadian for 6' of cooler material plus shipping plus a handful of rivets, some gas and tig rod and about an hour and a half of my time. That gave me 72" of extra cooling instead of the 12" or so you would gain if you only join the 2 sides together with a chunk in the middle

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
I just checked the bill, it was $85 canadian for 6' of cooler material plus shipping plus a handful of rivets, some gas and tig rod and about an hour and a half of my time. That gave me 72" of extra cooling instead of the 12" or so you would gain if you only join the 2 sides together with a chunk in the middle

That looks great as well as adding a hell of a lot more cooling. Nice job, honestly after seeing yours that's what I'm going to do on mine. :beer;

Premium Features