• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

95 zr700

O
Nov 11, 2008
Hello all looks like the snow will be here soon:face-icon-small-hap... Unfortunately my sled is dead on one hole again. Last winter the thing burned the piston on the right side (starter side) three times... The first time one of the carb flanges broke from dry rot... and well... you know what happens then right. thing is though I got a re-cromed cylinder new piston kits and gaskets for both sides and put it back together. Less than 40 miles later poof :mad: same side takes the top of the piston out. Sooo I was able to clean up the cylinder with muriatic acid to get the aluminum out and honed it, put new rings on the spare old piston and got it running again. this time I re-jetted this side even richer than when it was put together the first time. What was wierd was the plug on that side was looking a little lean, even with 380's in it. My normal jet size for where I ride has always been 350's until spring and then I drop it to 340's. Anyway the last time I rode it she ran close to 200 miles and then Poof :( Plus once again the plug would look a little lean, and the clutch side was almost to the point of fowling. Also when I got it running the last time I changed out the hoses to the carbs, fuel pumps (fuel and vacuum) and the oil injection pump. The only thing I have found when looking at it this fall is the spark plug cap on that side is failing... The screw that is made in to the cap that screws in to the high tension lead was broken off and you can tell it has been that way for a while. My question is could this be my problem??? or am I missing something. A guy I know that does two stroke marines told me that I have found the problem, but this is something new to me. Any ideas would be apreciated!
Mick

O
Nov 11, 2008
Thanks but one question... Being an old diesel mechanic I know how to do a compression check (before the last melt down both sides were around 130 psi. and within five lbs of one another) Is this what you are talking about as a "pressure check on the engine" or is there another type of test that you would do for a two stroke gas engine? Thanks once again for the reply.

To do a pressure check you must plug off the intake and exhaust, install the plugs and tighten. Then remove the impulse line that provides vacuum to the fuel pump and install an air line with gauge on it. You can then put air pressure into the engine not to exceed 8 lbs. Once you put the pressure to the engine it should not lose more than 1 PSI per minute. You can use a spray bottle and soapy water to check for leaks. If you don't see any leaks anywhere around the PTO side crank seal or any of the gaskets or intake flanges and it is loosing pressure it could be the crank seal behind the stator causing you the problem.

Hope this helps if you have any other questions let me know

Jeff
Gold CatMaster Mechanic
www.FunOutfitters.com
Free Technical Support Line: (866) 531-0123

Premium Features