• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 XP X 163 vs 09 Hillclimb Edition 154

C
Oct 7, 2009
I need some help/advice on which sled I should get. I can't make up my mind between the 09 XP X 163 or the 09 Hillclimb Edition 154. They are exactly the same price (8,800) so I am torn on which way to go. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

X

Xman

Mar 5, 2008
I bought an 09 x 154 last year love it. First time in five years that i have been on a sled that is shorter than a 162. In fact about all the guys i ride with have went back to 154's haven't heard one of them complain about not having enough track yet. Just depends on the riding you like to do. We boondock and climb quit a bit hope this helps.

You think a "Hillclimb" edition would be a 163. I have a 163, my father has the 154. I'v rode both and I like the 163. The 163 climbs and floats better. My dads seems squirrely. The 154 is a little more responsive when carving. Good luck both great sleds just depends on riding style.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
The "Hillclimb Edition" is built mostly for the sole purpose of giving the guys on R.M.S.H.A. circuit a sled to race in the stock class. Due to a rule change for the 2008-2009 season Stock is Stock no changes allowed from the way it left the factory with clutching with stock parts being allowed.

Same goes for the Polaris Assault and the Arctic Cat HCR all are built and gear more toward the hillclimb circuit. Not for climbing prowess in the back country.

It really depends on how you ride.

C
Oct 7, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I know the 154 would be fine for me but some of the guys I ride with are really pushing the 163. We hillclimb a lot but also boondock. Right now I think I am leaning towards the 163 X vs the 154 hillclimb. Talk me out of it if I am making the wrong pick. Like I said both are the same price. Is 8800 a good deal/fair price for the 09 163 xp x? Thanks.

doodah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Fremont Wisconsin
i dont really have much to compare to as i havnt rode a 163, but the hillclimb edition floats great, the the track is not too stiff by no means. the only flaw with it, and i wouldnt even really call it a flaw, is that it has the wider a-arms. eventually i would like to go with the timbersled or holz arms, but for rite now it works. it rolls effortlessly, climbs like crazy! for that price either or,im just speaking from my experience. good luck!

S

sledjunky3

Dec 4, 2007
Beautiful B.C.
i was on the hill last year with both 154 track and 163 to test out which one would climb better. I took the same line both runs right beside eachother and got a hell of a lot farther on the 163. It did not want to stop climbing as the 154 i had to turn out. I was amazed at the difference that it made "to me" I was going to get the 154 track but sfter that i changed my mind to a 163 track and i will pick it up in 3 weeks on my new 2010! My 2 cents

K

KAW76

Jan 28, 2009
Ravensdale, WA
Size and weight of Rider

Doesn't this play a role? I believe it does, but have no proof just seems logical that if wieght of the sled mattters then weight of rider does as well. I myslef am a bigger guy 6/5 280ish. So a guy that is 5/10 and 180ish could easily get away with a shorter = lighter sled.? Just curious peoples thoughts on this. soemtimes I wish with sleds I was smaller and lighter for this purpose. I am not partial to any sled but currnetly ride an 08 m1000 and a 09 M8 SP. I have been trying to get a buddy who is much smaller to purchase an Assault 146. I think it would work well?

The wife and I both had the 163 X's last season and loved them. A little setup in the suspension, gas it and go. She is 135# and I am 215#, rear spring change in mine was basically the only difference. She could throw hers around very well. Again due to set up and the tipped up rails. Handles very well on the trails for a long sled...at the end of the season even had her racing me down.
For the money the 163 X would be a no brainer....:cool:

X
Apr 26, 2009
I just bought a new 2010, 163x and I had a new chalenger Xtreme 2.5 installed on it before it even left the shop, I have always rode the 151's but my buddys were doing so much better with the 163's i decided to try it out. From the post on here I think it will go pretty good. I just hope I have all the right gearing set up. Good luck on what ever choice you make.

C
I have been told by more than Colorado rider that if you put em' on both sleds they dont think they could tell the difference....

I guess thats not the case though?

I went with the 154" as all the tweaks, performance and handling tricks seem aimed at the 154" crew?

Couple of these posts almost make me wonder why I didnt look closer at a 163" as well!

Premium Features