• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mods and tricks that made the difference

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
W

Wish

Apr 30, 2002
Tri Cities, WA
www.staceysdesign.com
I see so many things that you can do to your sleds out there....and I've tried so many different things to get my sled dialed in as we all probably have....

What has been the biggest bang for your buck, what's really helped improve your riding experience?

Here are a couple things that I feel have really made my riding experience more enjoyable:

1. Electric Start! Yes I know there are people out there turning their nose up at electric start, but for me...it has given me a sense of independence. NOTHING bothered me more than having a guy come over and start my sled for me....and there have been times, I just flat out couldn't pull my sled over. LOVE my electric start:D

2. Better boards...I don't have these on my XP, but I have to say..WOW they make all the difference in the world, being able to have control over your feet, no ice build up.....for me, that has been the biggest, noticeable addition to any sled I've been on.

3. 2 wheel conversion kit....at first when I put this on, I thought I would hate it, it changed the handling of my sled so much....but now that I'm used to it, this limbered my sled up to where I can maneuver it so much better now. Definitely something I noticed before and after!

Let's hear what you've done to make the difference.......

P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
I Raised my handle bars 3 inches and a boss seat I love it....
and my husband moded my tunnel looks great!!
and I have snow eliminators’

Last edited:
I
Mar 26, 2008
Proctor MN
I love the easy steer spindles- they have made handling a lot easier.
I also love my Straight line tracker skis, bar riser, light weight front end, but the biggest and best would have to be my shocks- suspension- We have Carl's valved fox shocks on my sled and I love them.

Walker float front track shock, Fox Clicker rear shock
SLP Highflow airbox, ceramic coated pipe -3 lbs, SLP can -6lbs

I am building my new sled right now with an EZ ryde and Exits all the way around, so I am guessing that will be my new favorite mod.
My husband(Angermangement890) tries to find anything that will make my sled easier to handle and lighter for me. I love him a little extra for it, because it has changed my riding a ton.:rose::p

Last edited:
M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
I finally put a 10" riser on last year and LOVE it! In the spring when there's long slow hardpack sidehills it gives me much better leverage, and it's just better all around. Makes my sled much easier to handle, I don't feel like I'm killing my back. And I'm only 5'6".

Fox floats. Stock shocks are not good enough without a sway bar. I love floats, I can quickly adjust them depending on what I'm doing, like if I want to jump for a while. The control is great, sidehilling is awesome with them as my sled isn't constantly diving. I was so frustrated with my stock shocks last year, the diving was driving me nuts. And on the moguls they were fully compressing and jarring me thoroughly. The first day I put on floats we had about 2.5' of fresh pow. I pulled off some moves I couldn't do the day before and was amazed with how they handled.

I also like my powder pro skis. At first they wore me out, but once I got used to them I liked them. Also no sliding or diving when on a long hardpack sidehill. They will hold exactly where you put them. Plus they're thicker and tougher than a lot of skis, they can stand up to abuse.

Clutching! Having the right clutching set up made it feel like a completely different sled. Quick response (especially helpful when jumping), better backshifting, just better all around.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
#1 mod, tether. EFI's love to run upside down, wide open until something gives.

#2, risers. Even shorter girls seem to get an advantage by getting their handlebars up so they can stand up straight to ride.

#3, Better Boards. Feet stay where I want them to, more control for me. I have found that with these on the Dragon I use my legs more, arms less.

#4, front bumper. I can look at a 4" tree and not cringe. Gives me freedom to bounce off more things. Great to hold onto, we can get 3 of us on the front now, when stuck.

#5, this didn't help performance, but reduced bruises... I got the Fastrax throttle block, it is smaller than the stock one. With the stock one when I'd go over the handlebars I'd end up with bruises on my hand from the throttleblock. No more. :)

I've had Slydog skis on, love their flexibility. But going to try out stock Dragon skis this year, I think they'll work better in our heavy snow. Guess that's more of an UNmod. lol

I've got the new Holz front end to try out this year, looking forward to that! Getting new rear shocks, that will HAVE to be an improvement over the WEs.

I've got a pipe and can on it, didn't feel one bit of difference. However, I bought it for the weight loss, not the hp gains.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
My wife and I took a road trip to CO to pick up an 07 D7 for her at the end of last season...CG, your review of your own sled had alot to do with picking the IQ chassis. It's pretty well set up with a Holz rear, 09 Dragon front end, Holz spindles, F-Bomb's track mod, Better Boards, HPS can, 5" riser, and a BMP billet head.

I really like this section and this thread especially because it will help us get things set up better for her because lord knows, she hates the way I set my sled up:eek::D

And Brandy, if you have any clutching advice on the D7, I could really use it because the sled's still set up for 12k' and we just don't get that high in WA...

Thanks to all of you for the info:)

S

sledpiggy

Feb 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
1. got a cordless teth-air system, haven't used it yet but it should be good
2. got rid of the power claw, challenger extreme is 100x better!
3. Left hand throttle, don't use it much on the new sled but it does come in handy sometimes
4. got a new HMP seat
5. risers are a must!
6. snow eliminators for the running boards are a must too!
7. any type of vent kit

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
My wife says she likes the hairdryer looking thingy on her sled, best mod ever.

Seriously though, going from an M1000 to a turbo M8 she has been SOOOO happy with the difference in power delivery & handling.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
My wife and I took a road trip to CO to pick up an 07 D7 for her at the end of last season...CG, your review of your own sled had alot to do with picking the IQ chassis. It's pretty well set up with a Holz rear, 09 Dragon front end, Holz spindles, F-Bomb's track mod, Better Boards, HPS can, 5" riser, and a BMP billet head.

I really like this section and this thread especially because it will help us get things set up better for her because lord knows, she hates the way I set my sled up:eek::D

And Brandy, if you have any clutching advice on the D7, I could really use it because the sled's still set up for 12k' and we just don't get that high in WA...

Thanks to all of you for the info:)

Glad I helped someone! LOL Clutching, I can't remember what I've got in her! It was done by Dan at Skagit Valley. Not sure about that head.... Hopefully they didn't put to much compression in it?

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Glad I helped someone! LOL Clutching, I can't remember what I've got in her! It was done by Dan at Skagit Valley. Not sure about that head.... Hopefully they didn't put to much compression in it?

Yeah, I actually had to put that head on to get rid of the RMX high altitude kit that was on it...they told me no amount of octane would keep it from burning down at this level:(

Thanks for the tip on Skagit Valley, I'll give em a call:beer;

P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
3. Left hand throttle, don't use it much on the new sled but it does come in handy sometimes
4. got a new HMP seat
5. risers are a must!
7. any type of vent kit

what tracks size do you have and do you still have that power claw????

P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
4. got a new HMP seat
5. risers are a must!
7. any type of vent kit

My wife says she likes the hairdryer looking thingy on her sled, best mod ever.

Seriously though, going from an M1000 to a turbo M8 she has been SOOOO happy with the difference in power delivery & handling.

I'd like to have her hair dryer......:face-icon-small-hap

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I'd like to have her hair dryer......:face-icon-small-hap

You know, it's odd, it really doesn't dry hair all that well at all.:D

Honestly, if you can justify the $$, the user friendliness of her sled is SO unreal it's hard to imagine her riding a 1000 again (and a stock M8 would be laughable)

Btw, piggy, also wondering why you didn't like the PC? Abby had one sled with each to compare it to, both 1000's, one with PC one with the CE, she chose the powerclaw hands down, we could easily have tossed the extreme on her new sled & she didn't want it.

On the other hand the PC that comes on the HCR (90 duro) we're not impressed with, the 80 is much better in our opinion.

P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
On the other hand the PC that comes on the HCR (90 duro) we're not impressed with, the 80 is much better in our opinion.

yeah but when they hook up watch out they are fun...:face-icon-small-hap

S

sledpiggy

Feb 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
how come you didnt like your power claw?

Btw, piggy, also wondering why you didn't like the PC? Abby had one sled with each to compare it to, both 1000's, one with PC one with the CE, she chose the powerclaw hands down, we could easily have tossed the extreme on her new sled & she didn't want it.

I hated the PC, especially on the downhills. I find the camo extreme hooks up 100x better and the braking is a million times better... :eek: I just like it better all around...

I see so many things that you can do to your sleds out there....and I've tried so many different things to get my sled dialed in as we all probably have....

What has been the biggest bang for your buck, what's really helped improve your riding experience?

Here are a couple things that I feel have really made my riding experience more enjoyable:

1. Electric Start! Yes I know there are people out there turning their nose up at electric start, but for me...it has given me a sense of independence. NOTHING bothered me more than having a guy come over and start my sled for me....and there have been times, I just flat out couldn't pull my sled over. LOVE my electric start:D

2. Better boards...I don't have these on my XP, but I have to say..WOW they make all the difference in the world, being able to have control over your feet, no ice build up.....for me, that has been the biggest, noticeable addition to any sled I've been on.

3. 2 wheel conversion kit....at first when I put this on, I thought I would hate it, it changed the handling of my sled so much....but now that I'm used to it, this limbered my sled up to where I can maneuver it so much better now. Definitely something I noticed before and after!

Let's hear what you've done to make the difference.......

So what didn't you like initially about the two wheel setup? Thinking about doing that to mine.

Premium Features