• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Going to buy my first XP this week.... and I need your help!

V
Mar 29, 2008
Whatup everybody! I'm finally going to pull the trigger on a XP. There are some pretty smoken deals here in UT, and I'm down to a couple of choices.

First choice, and the most likely. holdover 09, Everest 146. Under 8k for a new one here w/ warranty. I like the short track, from a boondocking/ jumping perspective. But, its an everest, needs some upgrades out of the box from my understanding, which I am willing to do.
Looking at evol r's up front, and who knows what to do with the rear suspension, that's why I come to you. What is the route to go with the 146 rear suspension? Stock? Upgrade the ****ty Everest suspension out of the box? evols up front seem like a no brainer...

What other mods would be needed on this sled? I would do a exhaust can, just to shave 10 pounds, and maybe a 2 wheel kit, definitely vent the $hit out of it. What else? Pull the sway bar for sure, anything else that will make this thing perform?

Second option, which I dont really want to do, 09 Holdover hillclimb edition. 8600 new in crate w/warranty. I could probably leave this thing stock, just switch out the longer a arms for short ones.

Either way I'm excited to ride a xp, just want to make sure I'm getting the right one!

thanks snowesters!

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Talk to Tom at Tom's Snowmobile( 1-530-862-1128) about his evolution air rear suspension. HE is replacing the rear shocks with fox float evol R's and float 2 shocks.

I put one under my 163 last year and it rocks!

a can is a good way to lose wieght and room under the hood.

Get familar with the clutches this is where the boys are seperated from the men. Once you get the clutching dialed in you will be able to run up against most anything and doo very well. Clutching is probaly the most important aspect of performance gains. You can have all the HP in the world but with piss poor clutching what good is the hp.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Talk to Tom at Tom's Snowmobile( 1-530-862-1128) about his evolution air rear suspension. HE is replacing the rear shocks with fox float evol R's and float 2 shocks.

I put one under my 163 last year and it rocks!

a can is a good way to lose wieght and room under the hood.

Get familar with the clutches this is where the boys are seperated from the men. Once you get the clutching dialed in you will be able to run up against most anything and doo very well. Clutching is probaly the most important aspect of performance gains. You can have all the HP in the world but with piss poor clutching what good is the hp.

what did you like so much about the Tom's setup?

F
May 17, 2008
Clutching is probaly the most important aspect of performance gains. You can have all the HP in the world but with piss poor clutching what good is the hp.

I just got a 08 Xp 163x What set up as far as clutching is the best for the $$$.

I've been told to go Team secondary with a POOlaris primary?

My buddy put just a team Secondary in without any primary change (09) and thought it was a waste of $ no real change.

Also heard stay away from the Poolaris clutch as it doesn't have a rubber bushing and will take out crank/bearings.

My experence with clutching so far has been turning the clickers (none)

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I just got a 08 Xp 163x What set up as far as clutching is the best for the $$$.

I've been told to go Team secondary with a POOlaris primary?

My buddy put just a team Secondary in without any primary change (09) and thought it was a waste of $ no real change.

Also heard stay away from the Poolaris clutch as it doesn't have a rubber bushing and will take out crank/bearings.

My experence with clutching so far has been turning the clickers (non)

What type of riding do you do?

F
May 17, 2008
All mountain 6000' Boondocking mostly with a little climbing. Not really into highmarking all day,but still like to take a poke once in a while. Motor is stock the only things done are Can/10" riser/clickers/scratchers/vent kit. Oh yah I'm in the 220lb club.

Last edited:
S

Seeker

Jan 26, 2009
Western Colorado
The 146 is terrible in deep powder, not sure what kind of boondocking you are doing. The Hillcimb is too wide & has a stiffer track which is not good for anything other than Hillclimb on hardpack, cool looking sled though.
I would seriously consider looking for a 154 X or everest.

Dbook

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Denver, Colorado
The 146 is terrible in deep powder, not sure what kind of boondocking you are doing. The Hillcimb is too wide & has a stiffer track which is not good for anything other than Hillclimb on hardpack, cool looking sled though.
I would seriously consider looking for a 154 X or everest.

How does the track know to be stiffer on the hillclimb model? It is the same part # for the X and the Hillclimb.

R

Randog

Dec 3, 2007
I had the same dilemma, went with the hillclimb for $8500 you can get the x 163 for the same price.

L

lucky13

Nov 26, 2007
northern utah
anyone else? Thoughts?

great choice on track lenght, my 146 is the funnest sled i have ever owned, and it climbs better then you have been told by farr. pull the sway bar, set the skis to the narrow position, stiffen up the front shocks, pull the noise deadning foam from under the hood, pull or put holes in the plastic belt guard, let the limiter strap out 1 hole, maybe a light weight can for sound and weight loss, they sound good but i think you loose a little top end, start there then see how it performs

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
great choice on track lenght, my 146 is the funnest sled i have ever owned, and it climbs better then you have been told by farr. pull the sway bar, set the skis to the narrow position, stiffen up the front shocks, pull the noise deadning foam from under the hood, pull or put holes in the plastic belt guard, let the limiter strap out 1 hole, maybe a light weight can for sound and weight loss, they sound good but i think you loose a little top end, start there then see how it performs

Everything he said, just leave the stock exhaust and call it good.
If you want to drop a few lbs on the exhaust, add some possible hp, and lower under hood temps...remove the insulation and ceramic coat pipe and muffler and THEN call it good.

Is the possible loss of power and 5-10 lbs worth losing riding areas over?
I wouldn't doubt you'd lose the same amount of weight by doing the above; remove insulation + c. coat.
I'm actually a pretty big weight nut myself, and 5-10 lbs is a lot of weight to pull of a sled...but we have to recognize the noise and 'cool sound' comes at a price in the long term. Its an unfortunate and hard learned fact.

Oh, and another good suggestion for any style Rev...VENTING. Vent the PTO side panel.

Premium Features