• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Remove Front cooler or NOT is the question!!

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
I am seriously debating the removal of my front cooler (front tunnel cooler).

I am running a 800 VES (NPP single pipe)with a 141"x2" track (ice scratchers, 136" Ice Age rails mounted 2.5 inches back (Crow's skid, etc), I have the rear coolers U'ed and extended. They are extended roughly 7 inches longer than stock, and then the 8 inches between coolers. So roughly 22"s of more rear cooler. Don't have front cooler out at moment to measure.

Wondering anyone's experience, I know alot of you guys have the VE tunnels that run through the running boards to a 4-way U-Cooler. I am heavily debating removing the current U-cooler and trying to make it 4 way in the rear 20 inches. But I am also think what I have is enough to remove front cooler.

I still end up riding trails in Northern Minnesota. I didn't have water temp gauge this past year, this year I will.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Tunnel coolers don't provide nearly the cooling a front cooler does. Think of how much snow gets up front vs. top inside of tunnel. I learned this the hard way years ago. I'd guess over 70% of your cooling comes from the front. I dunno, my experience.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i took mine out; but i don't think i'd do it again. the motor mounts on the back tie into the cooler; so when you take it out you have to make a new plate for the back side of the tunnel. I took a 1/4" aluminum plate, tapped holes in it.

hope that helps.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Marais, MN
cooler

Blair, My IQr/raw, the blue one you've seen, Has no front cooler. On my 09, I am going to run a Ucooler and do the exact same thing, it makes a difference when boondocking in the real deep. I noticed that my sled didn't trench as much as past sleds I have owned. Could have been setup, but snow better snow cleanout can't hurt. I have two paddle coolers off an old RMK you can have if you want to ad some cooling to the rear of your sled. Craig

hudini

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston area
I currently have Crow's old black IQR, although it looks nothing like it did. I removed the front cooler and I am running a Holz double pass U-cooler, cooling a 910 with no worries. You should be fine. I did not add any braceing like Meathooker cause' I don't have as much power has him:), but I am running 3 rear motor mounts.:beer;

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Hmm.

Does the U-Cooler run the whole length of the skid or just double pass the last couple feet??

Damn, Crow's old sled sure gets around! Haha. I have the skid, you have the rest of the sled. Isn't Crow in Mi?? Haha, I know a guy Mike in Eveleth MN had it for awhile, thats where I purchased the skid. Now it's in ID.

hudini

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston area
Yeah, it does get around, I got it from Mike. I'll have to post some pictures on here so you can see how much it has changed.

The u-cooler runs the whole length of the tunnel. When I got the chassis it had the stock cooler made into a u-cooler. I would think that since you have lengthened yours everything would be fine. The old Gen-II's just had a little cooler in the very back, a small front cooler and the rail coolers. i would think that you have more surface area and more coolant in your setup.

I would consider leaving the front cooler in if you are not having clearance issues or running a big bore or turbo motor. But if you are just running a small block I would not go through the trouble of removing it just to remove it.

Brad (Power Addiction/PSI 1200) makes a double pass u-cooler for this chassis. You might call him if you go that route.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Damn.

I do not run them on any of my sleds i build double pass coolers for 400-450.00 that willl give you all the cooling you will need. I cool my 1525 no problems even in the worst of spring riding.

Brad

Yeah you tried to talk me into that last year when you did my single pass. I think I am going to yank it out (front cooler)and see what happens, I have extra cooler on the way, if I have to double pass it I will. Brad you extended mine by about 7 inches, and just u'ed it. That plus the 8 inches between coolers is about 22 inches more cooler. Hope thats enough :).

Premium Features