• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

which turbo kit and why

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
i am buying a new nytro 162 se and am doing some research on which turbo kit to get. i dont know much about the differences between the kits that are out there. question 1: front, mid, or rear mount?.....most of the riding will be 55-8000 feet and treeed boondocking with some climbing but not the main focus. i would like to stick with pump gas for ease of fueling but i understand the benefits of race fuel. 2. install....whos kit is the most complete and straightforward install? any coments on do's or don'ts?

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
I have had both mcx and impulse and now have the new pump gas impulse and to be honest the impulse is the way to go especially with his new kit. Very simple and clean install, cant wait to get it on the snow.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Just bumping this thread up so its right under the Sticky that tells you to run a SEARCH before starting a new topic. And right next to the other topic that asks the exact same question.

Last edited:

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Depends on install more than almost anything. I have seen lots of good ones and several bad ones. Also depends on needs/wants. I have 8,000k on my little blue sled with boost....that thing is amazing. Spit one clutch and one broken chain....probably due to no maintenance on either. I just ride and absolutely hate wrenching......so for me what I ride works for my needs.:)
Safe boostin'
RS

T
Sep 8, 2008
Response to Drinkwyo, how do you know that kit works well when you haven`t even run it yet? Drinkwyo, you know i am just joking. I run one of Diamond s sleds and haven`t had any problems with it. I talked to the guys at impulse before i bought this sled. They are very professional and are willing to talk to you and explain their kit , it is a very clean kit, the only thing that kept me from going that way was the lack of padding on the seat! But don`t count Scotts turbo kits out either, they run good!

Last edited:
B

bigbird

Nov 26, 2007
edmonton area
www.rushmotorsports.ca
I went MCX as they seem to have by far the best reputation for reliability. Seems to be one or two out of an awful lot of guys that don't care for them. Also found a good used kit for alot less than new.

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
Response to Drinkwyo, how do you know that kit works well when you haven`t even run it yet?

Maybe he rode mine?????
Or maybe he has paid attention to every time there is a new post on "what turbo to get" you get a dozen people that know Paul and or ride with Paul and rode his stand alone ECU and it did rip all spring long?
Just saying.. Maybe??

Bottom line.. all kits work! and all kits need somekind of maintance! There is no turnkey kit that you can go rip all day long then go park it. Get up in the morning put gas in it and go rip all day long again.
Something is going to break.. it all boils down to added stress.

If you read all the "what turbo to get" that seem to appear every other day
Drinkwyo had a bad luck with his mcx kit and he lets people know his personal experience with that kit. bashing? or freedom of speech? WHO CARES?

All kits work!! Find a dealer that is close by and go with the kit they believe in that way they are comfortable helping you get it set up!!

IMO!!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
hmmmm... being from kalispell, you might know MTdream on here. he runs a NW turbo, now ulmer racing, i know the kind of riding you do, i ride there to.. i can honetly say much over 10# is a total waste in the riding you will be doing. also, lag is NOT gonna happen, it just cant, the timber is just to tight for any, rev time on a NA sled gets to be a hassle sometimes!

check with MTdream on his view of the NW kit, its really well setup for the riding in our area, throw a headshim in it and then you can run pump all day, or go no shim, and run av gas. and having someone else with the same kit you can ride with and compare makes life pretty nice.

the impulse kits are SICK, but I really doubt you could ever run 17#, except a few spots up lost jonny in the bowls in the back, and that would be in retarded deep snow, so then the extra $$ is kinda just fancy extra, all food for thought.

R

ridehard1212

Nov 26, 2007
LANGLEY BC
NW/ ulmer kits are good on pump gas to 7.5lbs(around 200hp/no shim) add av gas 10lbs 12lbs?? but 200hp with stock compression on pump 91.. sounds good to me.. plus cast header at a good price... I figure run av gas at about 9lbs.. then dial down if you run out of av on trip.. oh and another thing.. Ulmer will probably be a stand alone no tinkering kit just like impulse soon.. set boost/AF and let programmer mess with maps.. :beer; Im with RS no tinkering for me.. been there done that.. (860R :mad: )

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
THANKS FOR THE INPUT EVERONE. I REALLY LIKE THE STAND ALONE FUEL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM OF THE IMPULSE. SOUNDS LIKE THE HEADER IS A BIT BEEFIER THAN OTHERS TOO.
SKI-DOO- DONT KNOW MT.DREAM BUT HAVE READ A FEW POSTS AND SEEMS LIKE HE IS HAPPY WITH THE SETUP.
SNOW IS COMING....:beer;

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I think stand alone would be the only way to go these days if you have the option. You can always turn the boost down and it will run just fine on 10psi with the shim running the 2860 turbo.

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
the impulse pump gas kit is a great kit . I ride an old impulse nytro set for 17 pounds and av gas , his pump gas kit was right beside me spring! I still cant believe you can make that much power and have that kind of throttle response with 91 octane :D

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
I have an IMPULSE on my Nytro and MCX on my wifes phazer, the only things I do not like about the MCX is using the stock header, which has a high failure rate, and may be the cause of a lot of phazer burndowns. The Nytros just seem to crack, I have not heard of an mcx nytro burning down. The other thing would be the turbo mounted on the rear of the rear of the sled, and the lag that comes with. I have been riding my Impulse Nytro for the last two seasons and it has been great, I will hopefully upgrade to the standalone fuel system this year. Paul does not build Phazer turbos or we would have bought a phazer turbo from him also, it would be cool though if I could get him to fab a header and turn the phazer into a mid mount.

M
Jan 14, 2004
AK

Would you do the Phazer turbo again or just put your wife on a lightened up Nytro. I thought about the Phazer but just ended up getting a Nytro and dropping a bunch of weight off of it. Turns out I like the Nytro and want it for myself (with an Impulse kit) and there are some great deals on Phazers which I could get for her but I just can't see the benefit of turboing one with the track limitations and $$ wise not much more power than a stock Nytro.

M5

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
M5- I wanted to just put my wife on a lightened up Nytro but she refuses and says it is to big and bulky compared to her phazer chassis, she will only ride the phazer. I have heard the horror stories of the turbo phazer but we will see how long it will last. My wife can ride a stock phazer really well, and she has never really held us up, all my friends are really amazed where she can take it, she is really small, so with her light weight and the small chassis the phazer is perfect for her. I just installed the turbo this summer so I can't wait to see her ride it, I think it will be perfect for her, I am really wanting to ride it my self. If I had my way I would have most likely got another Nytro, but we had the phazer for a couple years and figuered we would give it a try.

Premium Features