• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

changing track on edge

R
Dec 25, 2007
Hey guys, 03 rmk edge im changing my track, is there anything i should keep an eye on whial changing it? any helpful hints.

Thanks
Harry

W

Wayniac

Nov 26, 2007
sunny Seattle
I would put a new bearing on the speedo side of the driveshaft. They are prone to failure and when they do they often ruin the shaft too.

Wayne

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Same size or longer ?

Driver Shaft Bearings, Hy Fax.

Good time to upgade rear shocks if you need to, install a Big wheel kit, or change your gearing.

Remove the Driven Clutch to get it out of the way, take it apart for inspection while its off.

Put some new Exahust springs on while the Pipe / Can is out.

Been down this road many times.

H
Nov 27, 2007
NW Washington
Bogey bearings, grease shafts while skid is out, make sure arms do not go wrong way and tear up drive nubs on track when re-assembled.....

A tie down to help hold up the track while you are working the drive shaft back in helps.

Bearings and seals for shaft. Easier to do it now than the night before a ride.

R
Dec 25, 2007
sure enough took it all appart, the spedo cable driveshaft bearing is peached, theres a greese nipple on there, didnt see it ever. Probly why they all fail.
Thaks for the tips guys
harry

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
They fail even when they get greased. They get a lot of moisture in them. Probably should be greased every ride if you wanted them to last. Everytime I have greased mine there has been water in it.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
You can get one at any bearing shop a bit cheaper and they should have it on the shelf. Can't remember the # but its stamped right on the bearing.

If your local poo shop doesn't have it on the shelf you might find a different shop, its a common enough part they should have it in stock. Same bearing was used for ages and is probably still the same one in todays sleds.

R
Dec 25, 2007
i went to lordco to try and match the number, they couldnt do anything for it. Im going to try the transmition and bearing shop in town today, not sure if their open tho.

While im here, what kind of oil do you guys run? iv been using ams oil whats the difference between the blue stuff and the gold intersepter oil? why thoughts?

Thanks
HArry

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Changing the left bearing on the drive sprocket is probably the single most difficult maintenance job on the sled. Better buy a half dozen bearings because you will ruin most them while trying to install them. Rebuilding the water pump is the second most difficult job.

Of couse, the local polaris dealers has been known to deliberately sell me wrong and/or sabotaged parts, (i.e, o-rings, oil pump and thermister) He may have sold me a bearing that goes on another sled because the fit was so tight that even heating the bearing up to expand it, and cooling the drive axle to contract it, did not help one iota.

Last edited:
D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Changing the left bearing on the drive sprocket is probably the single most difficult maintenance job on the sled. Better buy a half dozen bearings because you will ruin most them while trying to install them. Rebuilding the water pump is the second most difficult job.

This guy is a pile of misinformation. I don't understand how anyone could ruin even one putting them on.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
2002 Edge 159 x 2.25 HRP big wheel Pic

picture.php

Premium Features