• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hps silencer

kipperdavis

Premium Member
Apr 13, 2008
De Smet, SD
I just get a 05 900 rmk 151. it came with a hps can on it. Do any of you have one on your 900? How do you have your sled set up with it. Do you like it? I have a the stock pipe and slp intake. clutching and gearing all stock. Let me know! Thanks Kip

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
I ran one on my 05 50th Anniversary 900 166 when they first came out until the SLP kit was available. It worked great. I liked the SLP combo I ran on my sleds a lot better as far as sound.

Last edited:
H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
I have one and love the sound of it. My sled is pretty much set up like everyone elses in here in regard to clutching, gearing, etc. Read the sticky threads and you will know the best way to set it up:beer;

P
Dec 4, 2007
Redmond, Wa
I wanted to change from SLP to HPS but according to SLP, altering the silencer will change the required fuel curve and will lose power and dependability. I think i will still go ahead and do it though, i figured they would say that. And i have heard a lot of great things about HPS. If your interested in selling it pm me.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
I wanted to change from SLP to HPS but according to SLP, altering the silencer will change the required fuel curve and will lose power and dependability. I think i will still go ahead and do it though, i figured they would say that. And i have heard a lot of great things about HPS. If your interested in selling it pm me.

I may be wrong (happens all the time it seems) but I don't think there is any way switching from an SLP to an HPS silencer is going to make any difference whatsoever in the runability of the sled...it just changes the sound:beer;

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I dont believe any of the reports from the MFG's on cans and HP... none of them add a single hp IMO.

I removed my HPS and switched up to a SPG Ultra Q.

I hate the loud cans.... for me and for the image that they give sledders. Kinda like the neighbor kid in his lowered Nissan with the fart can on it... I don't know of a single person on the block that thinks that it is "cool sounding" when he pulls out at 7 am. or even in the daytime.

Some cans do loose power, the 900's dont seem to be as sensitive to cans and backpressure as some of the other CFi sleds (eg the 800CFi).

Thats my 2 cents on the topic...everybody is entitled to their own.

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
I may be wrong (happens all the time it seems) but I don't think there is any way switching from an SLP to an HPS silencer is going to make any difference whatsoever in the runability of the sled...it just changes the sound:beer;

I wonder what happens when you run a cherry bomb glass pack muffler? I'm sure slp would be happy to hear I took off their 300dollar can and replaced with a backyard special. :face-icon-small-hap Not too mention it's 4 pounds lighter!! Seemed to run awesome all last season.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
I dont believe any of the reports from the MFG's on cans and HP... none of them add a single hp IMO.

I removed my HPS and switched up to a SPG Ultra Q.

I hate the loud cans.... for me and for the image that they give sledders. Kinda like the neighbor kid in his lowered Nissan with the fart can on it... I don't know of a single person on the block that thinks that it is "cool sounding" when he pulls out at 7 am. or even in the daytime.

Some cans do loose power, the 900's dont seem to be as sensitive to cans and backpressure as some of the other CFi sleds (eg the 800CFi).

Thats my 2 cents on the topic...everybody is entitled to their own.

Mine was a Mazda back in the day...it's funny how your opinions change as you grow up/older. I went through 3 frames on that truck and yep, it was loud with the glasspack and 4" tip:eek:...now I look at those kids and shake my head but really, what's the difference between them and the old rich guy on the $50k custom Harley...just money and the amount of disturbing the peace tickets they get. It seems the cops never have a problem with a loud bike or street rod...

kipperdavis

Premium Member
Apr 13, 2008
De Smet, SD
hps can

Thanks!! I think I might try the hps can this year, and see how it goes. I think I would like a slp pipe and can on it. I'm not really into loud cans myself, but all my buds have hps cans and like them. thanks again and keep the info coming!! I couldn't find the sticky on how to set it up with the hps can!

T

TGitt

Feb 16, 2009
Logan, Utah
I have an HPS can on my 900. I have the SLP single pipe on there as well. It has a good sound but its not the loudest sled... which is a good thing. I had the SLP can but all the welds broke, so I switched and the HPS can is still going strong!

Premium Features