• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I think my season is over

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I borrowed a dial indicator from a friend of mine and measured the crank runout on my sled today... 5 thousandths measured right at the end of the crank stub. I guess my season is over before it ever started this year! I don't really want to just run it till it blows, and I won't be able to sell it for much with the crank bad so I guess I'm screwed. Hooray...

B
Dec 3, 2008
Come on man... You know the three R's of sleds!

Ride 'em
wReck 'em
Re-build 'em

Im guessing its the 800 in your list as this is the "Edge" section. Looks like 2 options, fix now, or enjoy riding it until you NEED to fix it. Had you not checked that, you'da just saddled up and rode! Not to mention, How long do you think you've been riding with it like that with out even knowing?

I'd ride it like you never knew

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
I borrowed a dial indicator from a friend of mine and measured the crank runout on my sled today... 5 thousandths measured right at the end of the crank stub. I guess my season is over before it ever started this year! I don't really want to just run it till it blows, and I won't be able to sell it for much with the crank bad so I guess I'm screwed. Hooray...

Last year we were checking dads crank, and mounted the dial indicator in a few different places. We were getting some crazy tollerances. The only way you can get the correct tollerances is to mount it to the block.

P
Feb 22, 2004
Wisconsin
That 700 in your 99 will bolt right up to the mounting straps from the 800. Transplant time!

That or stretch your 700 to a 159. You already have a perfectly good track and suspension...

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
run it, from what ive read from some indy dan posts is that cranks go in and out of true all the time! ive got some cases and a crank with a bad rod bearing i will sell for cheap if you want to build up a spare bottom end

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
you need to check the run out on the seal boss but if it is at 5 on the end it will be around 2 and a half at the seal.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
That 700 in your 99 will bolt right up to the mounting straps from the 800. Transplant time!

That or stretch your 700 to a 159. You already have a perfectly good track and suspension...

The 7hundo is the wife's sled, and if I mess it up she'll kill me :D

Last year we were checking dads crank, and mounted the dial indicator in a few different places. We were getting some crazy tollerances. The only way you can get the correct tollerances is to mount it to the block.

Hmmm I'll have to try and figure out a way and mount it to the block and try that.

you need to check the run out on the seal boss but if it is at 5 on the end it will be around 2 and a half at the seal.

I thought it was supposed to be checked at the end... I will check it again at the seal I guess. Maybe it's got another season left in it (a season is only a few hundred miles for us typically...)

The sled has around 2400 miles on it and the PO had been running with an SLP single before he sold it to me (he swapped exhaust and primary with one of his buddies before I bought the sled so its all stock now) so I guess it was just a matter of time.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a sturdy way to mount the indicator to the block? The indicator I have is a mag base and I had it stuck on the SLP torque arm and it's pretty solid, but not 100% so the readings aren't very reliable. I checked it again and got 2-3 thou at the case seal and 7 thou at the end of the crank :eek:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The easier you make it on the crank ... the better it will last.

Make sure the primary clutch is balanced well and that all the bushings are in excellent shape.... Also, the belt side clearance is critical that it gets set up correctly. This is not something you can do at home unless you have some expensive shop tools.

How old is the belt. If more than 1000... Replace it regardless.

Set the belt deflection to factory specs and make sure the engine is aligned EXACTLY correct.

Run good quality oil.

I send my clutches off to IndyDan for full service rebuilds rather than just a balance job if they are at all higher mileage.

Good luck.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Mountain horse,

Where do you recommend getting a primary clutch balanced? There used to be a place in Spokane, but I think they got out of it quite a while ago.

Thanks

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
The easier you make it on the crank ... the better it will last.

Make sure the primary clutch is balanced well and that all the bushings are in excellent shape.... Also, the belt side clearance is critical that it gets set up correctly. This is not something you can do at home unless you have some expensive shop tools.

How old is the belt. If more than 1000... Replace it regardless.

Set the belt deflection to factory specs and make sure the engine is aligned EXACTLY correct.

Run good quality oil.

I send my clutches off to IndyDan for full service rebuilds rather than just a balance job if they are at all higher mileage.

Good luck.
Just some background info to help fill in the gaps...
I bought the sled spring of 07 with roughly 1800 miles on it... has about 2400 miles now.
PO had an SLP single and clutching on it, but took it off and swapped his buddy for stock parts when he decided to sell it.
I have the SLP torque arm and push stop but still running stock motor mounts.
Engine is (or at least was last time I checked) perfectly aligned.
I did blow a belt last season... it was on the trail but I had the hammer down.
I have the primary off right now and I need to read up again on how to check it over to see what needs replaced... Indy Dan told me I'd be better off to **** can my primary and just buy a new one.

Y

yardfarmer

Jul 30, 2004
Sw Iowa
I say RUN THAT BIOTCH!

Do what you can for cheep with clutches and such, then go rippin.

My O2 800 has 3700 miles on it. Has some mods but what is it really worth $ wise..., not much...! It puts a big smile on my face everytime I ride it! The riding buddies and I decided it is a test sled I am riding it till she grenades. Then I will part it out and shop for a new sled!
SledingMarchO8020.jpg

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Getting your crank checked out and big bearing is fairly inexpensive if done before you break the crank.

I had Cranky Joe(spokane) do mine two seasons ago was about $300 with the seals and everything that was through Allsport.

Brad(1200PSI) used to balance clutches. Probably still does. He did mine a couple years ago. Need to get it done again.

Premium Features