• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

mountain perf transfer kit slop???

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
just wondering if anybody has installed one of these. i installed one last night with the help of a good buddy. had there been a diagram or two describing to me (a yammy virgin) what some of the parts were called, it would have went a lot quicker. but, all in all it went pretty good.

what i am wondering about is if anybody else has slop up in the rear suspension mount? we took the transfer rods out and replaced them with the provided spacers. as far as i know, the bogie wheel on the throttle side went back to where it was supposed to be. but, we got it all tightened down, and there is a lot of slop up in the top of the rear suspension mount. like 1/4 inch or better. the instructions claim that there will be some, but i wouldn't think that much.

M
Jan 15, 2008
Whitehorse Yukon
I have a MPI kit on a 01 MM 700.
I installed mine according to the provided instructions.
I have no slop at any mounting point. Maybe the shims that
were provided are not long enough. I would be sure to shim it so
there is no slop.

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
i am going to contact mountain performance today and ask about it. i am pretty sure we did everything right. we got one bogie wheel off, slid the shaft out the other side, removed the rods, replaced them with spacers, and reinstalled. the outside bushing is flush with the shaft on both sides.

let us know what you find out. i have put several of these on assorted yamaha sleds, even made my own, with different results as to transfer on each sled. some same model/year, others same skid, different sled. could never get a straight answer from mpi. you know in your instructions about the rear pivot being vertical or tilted slightly forward? put the same kit on 3 01 mtn maxs, in the same holes, had one forward, two laying back the way they say not in the install. never heard directly from max(owner) heath is doing a good job in the cya dept, for now, as long as he comes through on the trailing arm replacements, but the answers arent there. to answer your question, you missed something, none of the six or seven i put on had any slop.

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
i ended up taking it apart last night. i crawled under there and looked. the washers on the side that my buddy did were loose. my side wasn't. so, i pulled it out and measured the spacers. they were the same size as the rods we originally took out. so, i put it back together and this time, pressed the bogie all the way on. took most of the slop out. there is a little, but not enough to worry me.

Premium Features