• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sway bar keep or remove?

W

WITHERS

Sep 19, 2009
Looking for pros and cons.I have a 2003 rmk 800 with 159 extroverts,big wheel kit inside the rails,six inch riser ryde fx fronts with walker evans in the rear.Also thinkin of gettin a new track what would the snowest guru's recommend. I ride in north eastern bc (pine pass,tulber ridge areas):beer;:)

W

Wayniac

Nov 26, 2007
sunny Seattle
Unless you are a trail rider, remove it. I took out both my wife's and mine and we love it for boondocking and hill climbing.

O
Dec 6, 2007
Definately yank that thing out. I think it actually improves the trail ride because there isn't transferance from side to side without it in there. Makes it a little less stable at high speed but you definately sound like you have an off-trail set-up going.

T
Dec 20, 2008
Radium, BC
Remove it and you'll never look back.
Anyone with a wife...remove hers too -if she wants to do anything but trail ride that is! Hubby kept mine on thinking I might not like it...wish it was off long ago!!! Didn't notice a big difference on the trail, but it sure makes throwing the sled around, carving and sidehilling ALOT easier. Would NEVER have one now!

E
Nov 26, 2007
meridian idaho
Yank that bad boy out!!! I have the exact same sled and set up and I would never go back. I could care less if I have to slow down on the trail the handling in the powder and sidehill far out ways the cornering. Who rides trails anyways?

W

WITHERS

Sep 19, 2009
what about jumping and doin big drops, does it still have good results.:confused:

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
I didnt like the handling on the trails or boondocking with the sway bar removed. It seems like the sled wants to continuosly dive down hill. I like it better in so I ported my sway bar and ran a NOS line to it.

B

BYOB

Feb 18, 2003
Canada, Eh
Yank it and forget about it. Best mod that can be done for the handling without spending mega bucks. I didn't find it any more difficult to handle on trails and hardpack, just got to get the new feel for it. It is a huge improvement for climbing, sidehilling, boondocking, and transitioning from one type of terrain to the next(like cutting up a berm off off a groomed run up the mountain, it will sidehill and climb up better instead of just wanting to roll over back onto the groomer run). Just hit it with a sawsall and toss her in the recycle bin, no sense putting in the time to take it out intact because you will never want to have it in again anyway.

B

BYOB

Feb 18, 2003
Canada, Eh
As for jumping and big drops, I found that it helps for jumping when the takeoff isn't level and the sled would want to barrel roll because the sway bar wouldn't let just the one side of the suspension collapse and take it even, so it definitely helped on that front. I had to crank the front springs a bit tighter to compensate since the hits aren't being absorbed on both sides as much anymore but I liked the ride better. Didn't notice much change in big drops although the biggest I went on that sled is maybe 25ft vertical, so I don't know how it handles on the massive drops, never went there. I jumped it huge though and loved it. For some reason I am more comfortable flying way up than dropping way down. I was about 230 lbs when riding my edge and it would soak up big air no problem.

NO SWAY BAR EVER!!!!!!!!! there is no negative, if your a smaller rider you have so much more control over the sled and bigger riders will feel more sensitivity and you can push your sled to new heights.

Premium Features