• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 Wheel conversion

jokerman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Wy.
Pro's&Con's on this? who makes the rear axle,how big of a rear wheel can you run? Does anybody make a complete kit? Thanks:):):)

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Advantages are suppose to be less rolling resistance in a bigger wheel and less resistance to holding the edges of track flat when carving to help lay over. Is it true? You decide. Mountain machines makes a nice set up, or you can make your own with some polaris parts from newer year and a shorter axel. I believe you can do this for under 30 bux.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Advantages are suppose to be less rolling resistance in a bigger wheel and less resistance to holding the edges of track flat when carving to help lay over. Is it true? You decide. Mountain machines makes a nice set up, or you can make your own with some polaris parts from newer year and a shorter axel. I believe you can do this for under 30 bux.

Please elaborate on this a little.. I would like to know how this can be made (what parts are needed and from what year?)?? What size wheels can be used with the self made unit?

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
I think that having the bigger wheels, for sure cuts down on rolling resistance, which equals power down, but I really notice the ability for the track to really lay in for side hilling. I'm running the 8'' mountain machine kit. I'm pretty happy with it. Looks killer too!!:D

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Somebody will help me out here or you can search since I dont remember the part #'s. But you will need the two outer plastic spacers and a shorter axel. I believe you can doo this all for under 40 bux. If no one replies just goto Babbits online and look at a 07 dragon rear axel parts. You will find the part #'s you need.

E
Nov 28, 2007
Cannot help you on the poo parts needed, but I know it can be done by getting a couple parts and cutting the spacer you already have all done pretty cheap. I learned that after I bought the mountain machines axle. I will sell that axle if you want to spend the money

I
Sep 29, 2008
Idaho Falls Idaho
I will post a pic tomorrow of what I have but it is off and 07-08. Can I buy billet wheels to go on that polaris axle, it just has the stock plastic wheels on it now? And how big of billet wheel can I get on there with my 159?

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
having two wheels on the inside of the rails will also cause snow to be thrown up by the outsides of the track into the coolers, it works well if you have scratchers, helps in low snow conditions

jokerman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Wy.
Thanks for the reponse on this:),what's the largest size you can go with that has the most benfit,mainly boondock?

I
Sep 29, 2008
Idaho Falls Idaho
Here is what I have, as I understand it it will bolt to my 900, but I am wondering if I can put bigger billet wheels on it? I am thinking that I would have to get a different axle like the freedom axle cause if I put bigger wheels on this one wouldn't my bigger wheels sit below the hyfax?

2 wheel.jpg 2 wheel2.jpg

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
you are correct...if you put bigger wheels on that axle..they will sit below the rails..you would need the freedom axle or similar that has a bracket that raises them...

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Looks like stock setup for new chassis,you can do billet, just not any bigger:(
Running 9's for a few thousand miles now with no problems.
And MMP is having a sale now!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT

What effect does the hyfax take with the 2 wheel kit? i would assume they wear out faster.

Nope...the hyfax wont wear from installing a 2 wheel kit..it will wear if you dont maintain proper track tension, dont use scratchers, dont keep the hyfax lubed..

but other then that, its just fine..:D:beer;

Last edited:
C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Nope...the hyfax wont wear from installing a 2 wheel kit..it will wear if you dont maintain proper track tension, dont use scratchers, dont keep the hyfax lubed..

but other then that, its just fine..:D:beer;

thats good to know. me and a buddy r planning on doing this but i wasnt sure how the hyfax would take it. thanks:beer;:D

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Somebody will help me out here or you can search since I dont remember the part #'s. But you will need the two outer plastic spacers and a shorter axel. I believe you can doo this all for under 40 bux. If no one replies just goto Babbits online and look at a 07 dragon rear axel parts. You will find the part #'s you need.

So would I just buy the Dragon rear axle setup to make this for mine?

Premium Features