• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Suspension which one's better and why

N

nelsonsr1

Nov 3, 2008
Anchorage
Looking at a new suspension tell me what experience's you have with these.

Evolution Air with X evol or R evol

or

Mtn. Tamer Back Suspensions Timbersled

What's good whats bad why

Prices are close
I have a 09 XP 800 146 X
ride the trail and climb

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
XP

Just search it in the search box located in the upper right hand corner there is tons of info already talked about.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
I have Tom's set up evo R rear and evo r in the front on my 08 xp and am very happy with it. I have never used the MTBS but have heard only good things.
Why I went with Tom's set-up:
Simple and easy to install, did not have to remove skid.
Retain most factory parts, all which can be bought at a Ski-doo dealer.
Support from Tom and crew, I did not contact Timbersled I would think the same.
Follow up questions on how to set-up air pressure and settings.
Ride there was no comparison to the factory ride, sled now can take bumpy trail and eat them up.
Skis stay about 1 to 3 inches off the ground when climbing and you are not leaning forward at all.
Jumping the sled never bottoms out the suspension does the work and absorbs the landing.

hope this helps

Link to doo talk about toms set-up
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index...s&result_type=topics&highlite=+Toms+Evolution

N

nelsonsr1

Nov 3, 2008
Anchorage
I have Tom's set up evo R rear and evo r in the front on my 08 xp and am very happy with it. I have never used the MTBS but have heard only good things.
Why I went with Tom's set-up:
Simple and easy to install, did not have to remove skid.
Retain most factory parts, all which can be bought at a Ski-doo dealer.
Support from Tom and crew, I did not contact Timbersled I would think the same.
Follow up questions on how to set-up air pressure and settings.
Ride there was no comparison to the factory ride, sled now can take bumpy trail and eat them up.
Skis stay about 1 to 3 inches off the ground when climbing and you are not leaning forward at all.
Jumping the sled never bottoms out the suspension does the work and absorbs the landing.

hope this helps

Link to doo talk about toms set-up
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index...s&result_type=topics&highlite=+Toms+Evolution

thats what i am looking for from others
Thanks that helps a lot

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Looking at a new suspension tell me what experience's you have with these.

Evolution Air with X evol or R evol

or

Mtn. Tamer Back Suspensions Timbersled

What's good whats bad why

Prices are close
I have a 09 XP 800 146 X
ride the trail and climb

IMHO- either one is a winner...one (MT) has new rails and a different set up...Toms super improves stock style skid...BJ

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Rude

I did not mean to come off as rude. To be honest you seem to be a little rude. I was just trying to help him access information that he may not have known was readily available. In no way was I attempting to be rude just help a snowester out. But thank for checking up on me. I am glad your looking out for me.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Can't say much about the timber sled. But I can say that Tom's does work and is very easy to set up and adjust for your style. Plus Tom has been great on customer service end as well. I have the evolution air rear and the fox float evol R's on the front. All I can is well worth the extra money.
No more rear suspension sag, no more bottoming out, manuvers easier, etc.:)
It fixed all my grips on the past 2 years xp summit suspensions.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I was almost set on the Mtn Tamer but I'll be giving Tom's a call and bending their ear if I can get some time in the next few days.

Edit: For $1400USD for the Tom's rear skid update seems a little high considering I can get into a MT for under $2g. Complete skid versus a modified stocker. Hmmm. Then there's still the Racer's Edge skid conversion as well.

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I had Tom on the phone this morning(Richard actually phoned me first). He called me promptly after an e-mail to him, and was full of information. Also educated me quite a bit on the differences between the Evol X and Evol R shocks. I'm going to sit on this for a week or so before I make my decision. I was looking for a complete replacement but after some thought on ease of availability of parts and adjustability on the hill.......I have to take a serious look at Tom's Float skid.

From what I've read, Tom's set-up is the most user friendly best all around skid. Not the climber that a Timber or RE skid may give, but a solid all around set-up.....hmm

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
anyone got a link or site for toms susp

N

nelsonsr1

Nov 3, 2008
Anchorage
anyone got a link or site for toms susp

Call him he is one of the nicest guys to talk with I have talked to him 4 times in the last month and he is always very nice and has answered all of my questions.

530-862-1128

T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
I put Toms Evol Air under my XP and love it. There were a few issues early on, but Tom HIMSELF called me and took care of things. Great service and a great addition to the XP if you go FAST!!!

R
Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake
I have the Racer's Edge and am really happy with it. this is by far the best handling sled i have owned/rode. I too looked long and hard at he Timbersled and almost went that route until i rode a RE skid. A little more money but Baker is a chassis wizard and the quality is top notch. It was a little front end heavy at first but a few adjusments sorted tha out as well as some better skis.
IMG_0534.jpg

C

CSCHERER

Nov 26, 2007
Ok so we have the guy to make us go faster....

What about higher and the 4ft moguls on the way back to the parking lot?

C

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
i am looking for a new skid as well, will it work with the 154 rails or does it come with them, does it weight more than stock, how is weight transfer in the steep and deep, whats darrell price for it, it does look good

will it work with the 2.5inch 154 0r 163 track

I have the Racer's Edge and am really happy with it. this is by far the best handling sled i have owned/rode. I too looked long and hard at he Timbersled and almost went that route until i rode a RE skid. A little more money but Baker is a chassis wizard and the quality is top notch. It was a little front end heavy at first but a few adjusments sorted tha out as well as some better skis.
IMG_0534.jpg

R
Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake
i am looking for a new skid as well, will it work with the 154 rails or does it come with them, does it weight more than stock, how is weight transfer in the steep and deep, whats darrell price for it, it does look good

will it work with the 2.5inch 154 0r 163 track

They are the stock rails. Yes it wil work with any track length and size. i believe it was around $2100 installed. It works really good everywhere, handles the whoops on the trail as good as my snocrosser, and really gets up on the snow and stays there better than the stocker. Last year all day on the same hills as a identical setup 09 xp with stock skid i could easily out climb, stock skid just kept trenching in.
Thats with a titanium springs on the coil overs.
my .02

Premium Features