• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 XC 700, 121 to 151

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
A longer skid.

Rail extensions that long are not a good idea, some do it but land the wrong way once and your could have big problems.

Find an 151 Xtra lite or Edge skid from a newer RMK. Sell your Extra 10 & extensions to help pay for it.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
I have done it on a 99 xc 700. now it is acutally a 156. I custom made my own rail extensions. I have put on about 3000 hard miles and have zero problems. With some research and time it can be very successful. I am very happy with my sled. it is awesome in the mtns and awesome on the trails. I dont know about putting rail extensions on rail extensions but if you can build some or have a machinest to build them go for it. any more questions let me know!

O

olymon

It might be a good idea to tie the two sides together with a shaft between the rails. this may help keep the rails from flexing too much toward the end. It will help keep it rigid when landing. I would put in at least one (not to far from the rear wheels) if you are going that long.

K
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks for the replies. A 151 isn't set in stone. I found that WPS makes an extension from 121 to 144, which wouldn't be too bad. Will the rails from a 136 RMK with the Extra 10 fit this skid? Extensions to go quite a bit longer are available for those. I'm looking to trade the sled for a dirt bike and being able to go longer with the track without breaking the bank will help the deal. Also, what height lug will fit this chassis? The chaincase has been rolled. Thanks again.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
i put a 2" on mine with out any problems, since your case is rolled you should be fine. My extensions also have two cross bars one towards the front and one right in front of the wheels. to get my lengths I went to dealer and measured the distance from the rear axle to the trailing are pivot on a 151 and on my 121 I made my extensions the length of the difference plus 6" to bolt onto the rails with, i also tipped mine up similar to the rmks and I put the offset in the extensions for the bigger wheels.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
i put a 2" on mine with out any problems, since your case is rolled you should be fine. My extensions also have two cross bars one towards the front and one right in front of the wheels. to get my lengths I went to dealer and measured the distance from the rear axle to the trailing are pivot on a 151 and on my 121 I made my extensions the length of the difference plus 6" to bolt onto the rails with, i also tipped mine up similar to the rmks and I put the offset in the extensions for the bigger wheels. I am running the extra 10 with the fox position sensitive.

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I was some what the same situation that youre in. I went from a 136 to 151. I noticed that it was kinda flexy towards the ends to so I went down to dealer and picked up a Polaris cross shaft. Then I just measured and drilled my holes and put it in. Works like a charm. Hope it goes smoothly for you.

Premium Features