• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 Yamaha Apex Turbo?

S
Sep 28, 2009
Boise, Id
I am considering buying a used 2007 Yamaha Apex and installing a turbo kit on it. What Turbo kit do you guys recommend and what is the expected lifespan? Is this the right choice of sled for a turbo kit considering reliability and longevity?

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
X2 on the IMPULSE!!!!! Paul is one of the best!! Great kits and is always there to help you if you need any..
Once you go boost there is no turning back!!:D

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Sense you live in Boise I'd go with McX... Snake sells them and they do an excellent install. I had mine done by them and it turned out great. They even had me bring in it in after I ran it to make sure everything was still tight and they checked things over at no charge.

Go with a kit that you'll get service on if something goes wrong. Talk to Jerry in Service at Snake River Yamaha.

Also, someone mentioned that McX is hard to tune... I went with the kit because you don't have to touch it... Pump gas fuel, alt adjust for boost and simple design. Didn't touch mine after a couple of rides to get the clutching set.

yamymod

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
mcx is my vote. i have had great luck with mine and NO tunning! once you get the gear and clutch setup you are good to go. being able to run pump gas is also a plus.

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
Go with Impulse. If you search my posts, I just did an apex impulse install. Paul is awesome to deal with, will talk to you at all hours of the day/night whether it be a weekday or weekend during the install process.

The quality of his parts were great, everything lined up very nicely. He will also give you some pointers when doing the head and stuff that takes a lot of the guess work and trial and error when putting the cams back in.

My next sled will be impulse powered also. He will also preset the fuel controller based on the boost you want to run at the elevation you run. And also knows what to clutch it for.

Not to mention you get the surge tank, which I feel is a big plus, and with the surge tank and new tank you get 12 gallons of fuel. Means no carrying on the back for big rides.

J
Nov 27, 2007
turbo

you should start by figureing out what you want to do with the sled. how much power you want, how willing you are to tune it. etc.
you can go from turn key install that you dont have to mess with to fully adjustable tuneing nightmare.
Most kits are really good anymore. Its a preference thing. I will tell you to look at the simmons/story propane kits. the fuel is cheap more available than race and you can run huge boost.

big-zig

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2009
Minneapolis
Having sold, installed and ridden both Mcxpress and Boondockers I can say that both work well once set up properly. The install advantage goes to Boondockers but the "look stock" must go to Mcx. The disadvantages: Boondockers - no room for reverse and a lot of underhood heat. Mcx - twice the install time and it is almost impossible to eliminate a momentary faulter in throttle when stabbing it while riding above 9000'. On several installs we ended up installing a BD box and disabling the Mcx box and secondary injector rail to get rid of faulter. Once this was done the Mcx kits were fine.
There are a lot of "kit makers" on the scene now and probably make fine products, I just have experience with these two.
If it were my choice of these two, I would go with Boondocker for the install time and cost savings - but you lose reverse.
Good luck.

reed4rmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Clackamas, OR
Just as an aside, I have a Boondockers and reverse. It runs the cable from the e-brake control to the reverse system. Doesn't work perfectly, but it's good enough. I wasn't planning on going with big boost so I went with the small turbo. With that I can run 12# of boost on premium. More boost if I start running race fuel. Certainly enough to put a big grin on my face.

big-zig

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2009
Minneapolis
Reed4rmk,
I guess I have tried the same cable to the reverse system and broken it a few times, but you are correct. It can work.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
You can use the stock oem reverse. It just needs to be cut down and a little fabricating. It works great just like the oem.

reed4rmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Clackamas, OR
If that can be done then it's probably the better way to go. My cable has never broke, but sometimes it's a ***** to get out of reverse as it's no longer a mechanical linkage and it relies on a small spring to disengage. On my phazer the reverse was real tempermental, switching to Red line oil for the chaincase made a world of difference. I'm going to try that on the Apex this season and see if that helps the reverse disengagement issue.

Premium Features