• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinkin of getting a new tunnel...

Aug 15, 2008
Hey guys,
I have been doing some shopping around and have been looking at the CR tunnels.. What would you guys recommend for aftermarket tunnels?

Also, how much should a guy be paying to get a shop to do it??? Any info would be great, thanks.

Last edited:

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
CR Tunnels are sweet.....BUT!!!!!! Stay away from their powder coating. It peals off easy...so easy mine is coming off in the trailer and its never been ridden yet...........

Sure did look cool when it was first done though.

Lincoln County Customs did my instal and Troy does awesome work.

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
VE for sure, they fit great and look great. Plus I will do the install for you for $400, just bring it to Spokane.:beer;

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
I've heard bad things about CR's "Finish". "Fit" may be good but plenty of people complaining about the powdercoating pealing off.

I opted for Timbersled as i felt it had the cleanest look. Here is mine. I bought the tunnel raw and had it powdercoated locally

DSC00494.jpg

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
I have had both the VE and the CR. The VE felt better to me while boondocking, That tunnel was a 162, the kick up on the running boards was perfect for me. The finish is better on the VE. The powder coating is coming off my CR as well:mad: The CR is a 174 and the kick up is just a few inches further back than my VE was. This may be better for taller riders though??
Mounting after market skids is not as easy on the VE, because of the way they mount their running boards.. I do think that VE is changing this in their new tunnel.
I would go with what ever one you can get first!!!
Hopefully CR has change who ever does their powder coating???
This IS IMO..
Cheers:beer;

K
Oct 2, 2008
Chad has addressed the problem with the powder coater. The candy/anodized colours will probably never be as tough as the solid colours however. Primarily due to the tunnel having to be polished first, less "tooth" to the raw material. Order what you prefer, but don't worry about the powder coating.

T
Dec 10, 2007
I have a cr tunnel and love it, install was very good for aftermarket. I would however never ever get one powdercoated from him again. Polished & powdercoated trans blue and looked great for 50km!!!!! Now at 1000km and very well looked after, looks like sh*!. There is no warranty on the finish it is buyer beware...... so ....... BEWARE!

Aug 15, 2008
Hmm VE looks very interesting... Man this thing is gonna cost me...lol. Gonna have to hide the bills from the wife..lol
I'll look into timbersled as well.

Last edited:
B

blacksnow

Jan 3, 2009
everett, WA
there's no need to polish before you powdercoat!! when doing translucent colors two coats is all that's needed. the first coat is the "near chrome" finish and the second one being the candy. i've had many parts done this way.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Can't really go wrong with any of the major builders: VE, CR, Timbersled, PA. Im personally going with a PowerAddiction tunnel cause there a little thicker aluminum and there close to me.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Hard to beat CR tunnels. I vaguely remember a company in Alberta that was building tunnels. Wasnt it called SLY or something like that. Looked like a nice tunnel similar to CR but I cant find any links.

I think they charge 1k for apex and a bit less for a nytro tunnel swap. Others may know.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
price quote on a nytro tunnel from quantum.

We are @ the $2200.00 + we will have to build custom drop brkt for Ez-Ride + powder or polishing. Our tunnels are a little more but if you have seen one they look as good as anything out there plus they have the coolant tubes running down the center of the running boards so you never have any snow build up. As for install with taking your turbo off and on we can only estimate @ about 10hrs and we are $89.00hr. Have you seen our tunnels, with powdercoat we can do 2 colors and they look great. If close by stop in and have a look.
Thanks Ron.

Last edited:
D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Quantum is making tunnels now, they look pretty tough and well built, running boards are pretty cool too, maybe Ron or Jeff can put up a few pics.

Premium Features