• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP Tower Suppert Brace

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
That is the HIGH DOLLAR brace there. I see no reason to spend that kind of money ($169.99) on that brace. I took an old tie rod, a piece of alluminum, couple heims, and made my own. I bet you could by everything you need to do your own for under
$25.00. My advice is, if your mechanical at all save your money and build your own. Spend the $145 leftover on something else.

F

faskor

Sep 22, 2009
Madison Lake MN
I agree, but is it doing anything to help out in any way? Is it fixing a problem with the xp chassis or ...... Is there that much flex, that u would want one.

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
go to ebay and look up XP Tower brace, there is a more fair priced one on there. And it looks like it should work.

jwsummitx

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2009
Zimmerman MN
I have it on mine and I think it was worth every dollar. Yes I could build one for cheaper, but it is a nice product and I like to help out the industry when I can.

T

tollen77

Feb 19, 2008
The rod is set up to collapse in the event of a front on crash. This saves the jackshaft support and the tunnel from being damaged by a brace rod that is not designed to fail.

A home made job will work, just don't ever crash or you'll cause even more damage than you would without the brace.

Good luck!

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
I put the smittybuilt brace on mine, saw a few pics of tower bolts tearing thru the tunnel and figured it was cheap insurance for 50 bucks....

pics133Small.jpg

pics132Small.jpg

pics131Small.jpg

pics130Small.jpg

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Is any one running this on any of there sleds? Can you justify if it is doing anything?

That is the best kit...yes its $169 shipped (i have them in stock)...its a bolt on, its designed to fail if you hit a rock so it doesnt cause more damage, and it looks good...the best thing is it keeps the tower from flex'n under acceleration/load...and in worst case scenario keeps the tower from break'n out of the tunnel...BJ

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
I read a lot about the tower braces before I made the choice to buy the smittybuilt brace, and read that during testing of various braces by schmity1, every bump felt by the front suspension was transferred to the tower during normal riding while using the above mentioned brace that bolts to the shock tower. the bigger the hit, the more energy transferred to the tower, thus weakening the tower bolts and mounting area in the tunnel. tho the failure design is a good idea, everything less than a severe movement due to impact is tranferred to the tower. may be just his marketing thing, but it makes sense to me.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
There's something to think about? Since the lower bolt is shearing heads anyways(winter brews thread) does the brace help or is this on machine's with it?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I read a lot about the tower braces before I made the choice to buy the smittybuilt brace, and read that during testing of various braces by schmity1, every bump felt by the front suspension was transferred to the tower during normal riding while using the above mentioned brace that bolts to the shock tower. the bigger the hit, the more energy transferred to the tower, thus weakening the tower bolts and mounting area in the tunnel. tho the failure design is a good idea, everything less than a severe movement due to impact is tranferred to the tower. may be just his marketing thing, but it makes sense to me.

Sorry- but do you honestly believe the shock mount is moving?? the chassis is a pyrimide design...as in the big tube looking thing coming from the steering post and the one going across support said shock tower...NO flex/movement there...it was a BS claim I shot down then too...not a jab at you-BJ

R
Sep 2, 2009
When installing the Raceworks tower brace, when you are tightening it up, you can turn & tighten the heim joints nuts and see the flex in the tower by just turning the brace by hand. Tighten the brace until it is neutral and good to go. Good idea to install the brace, there is alot of flex there. $169 is cheap ins along with the grip n rip upper and lower a arm braces(about $100).

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
Sorry- but do you honestly believe the shock mount is moving?? the chassis is a pyrimide design...as in the big tube looking thing coming from the steering post and the one going across support said shock tower...NO flex/movement there...it was a BS claim I shot down then too...not a jab at you-BJ
he claims to have measured movement with some sort of measuring device, can't remember the whole spiel. is there a reason why the brace you sell is better? not jabbing or prodding either, my questions went unanswered on dootalk last year when I asked the same. I want to know every good/bad aspect before I purchase anyone's new "gimmick", based on the answers I recieved, I chose the schmity brace. to tell you the truth, I never even saw the brace with the built in "failure" feature, was it offered back in '08?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
he claims to have measured movement with some sort of measuring device, can't remember the whole spiel. is there a reason why the brace you sell is better? not jabbing or prodding either, my questions went unanswered on dootalk last year when I asked the same. I want to know every good/bad aspect before I purchase anyone's new "gimmick", based on the answers I recieved, I chose the schmity brace. to tell you the truth, I never even saw the brace with the built in "failure" feature, was it offered back in '08?

The brace is not a gimmick...when I built the VERY FIRST brace kit I felt it was important..saw more HP on the track dyno...a few grass drag teams ran my brace for consistant upshift...but when I saw consumer sleds with broken towers (they tear out of the tunnel from the flex)...it became mandatory IMHO...the brace you have is a modification of the factory RS 600 brace (wont work on the 800, already tried that-LOL)...there is no "bad" with this brace...BJ

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
brace

That is the million dollar question...anything is better than nothing...but a piece of bar stock has plenty of flex (side/side or twist)...the fact ours is mounted at the top and is "in line" with the "load" the tower is giving makes it better...now you dont have to take yours off to put mine on (that would be silly) but if a guy wanted the best brace its the Race Werx-BJ

Premium Features