• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shift/rmk suspension

S

Stormxz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 8, 2008
Hi everyone,
I'm planning to buy a 09 shift 800, or an 08 rmk 700.
How are the suspension on these snowmobile?

Im planning to buy a seat jack, because my GF want to come with me (maybe 7-8 times per year...). I know rmk are not built to have a passenger, but i really want it...Is the stock shock okay for this? I'm 200lbs, my GF is 120lbs.

Another thing, if i want to jump with these sled (Not with my GF on it :) ), is the suspension enough stiff? I dont plan do jump 150feet height, but some ''normal'' jump in the snow. Sometimes i jump over road, but nothing too extreme.

Which shock do you suggest for me?
Oh, and i dont want an assault...

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Not being a stick in the mud here and I know you are serious but a rethink is in order. Riding double is a pretty good way to make it so your G/F never goes sledding again! For that short duration of events I think you should save the money on the seat gadget....and save up for another sled because my experience has been it's either a new girlfriend, a new sled, or you go it alone.

This post reminds me of the Sweethearts (two up) Race at the 09 McCall SnoCross. Open winner, one of the Crapo kids, doubles with his girlfriend flapping on the back of his Polaris IQ RACER. She was also a racer and a heck of an athlete but WAS NOT HAPPY WITH HIS CHOICE! Serious babyhead when you can't see what's coming. (OUCH but it was impressive!)

S

Stormxz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 8, 2008
DONT worry for my girlfriend...
She LOVE to ride with me on my MXZ 600 2002, on the old zx chassis with the stock shock...
My friend has a polaris 600RR and he rides with her girlfriend with no problem.

Do you know when your girlfriend is not happy? When she try something better like a grand touring. But as long you dont show them these machine, they will never say anothing negative and they will be happy forever :)

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2008
I own an 09 600 rmk shift 144. Im 160, my girlfriend is 110. The suspension is stock with the springs set to high.

It rides great! The jack seat is a good idea. I've dumped her quite a few times with a long carve lol

overall its stiff enough to do some mellow drops and jumps

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
So true, what she doesn't know won't hurt here. Don't want to spoil her! I guess if she bails on you for the that fugly dude in the parking lot because he has the sweet cushion seat two upper then yes that is a problem and you'll want to defend against that with the rumble seat! :D Me...I'd pay that dude to follow me and around and chauffeur her so I could have fun in both senses of the word.

Powder riding double tip of the day. Put your passenger sitting in front of you while you stand behind. This is a great excercise to teach a new sledder what it feels like to carve, balance the ski angles, throttle control through the turn, and body english.

L
Aug 2, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I agree 10 fold. If taking a passenger and carving, put them in the front....so much easier. I take both my daughters out carving sometimes (obviously one at a time). My 7 year old just loves it but the 14 year old is tooooo cool for that now!!! Back to the point though, way easier with passenger in front.

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south
DUDE, save your $$$$ and get her the other sled that YOU want, THEN when your sled breaks down, you can take hers. I dont know about the other dues on here, but sledding is my guy/free spirit time, she just doesn't get it. She would rather be on a b-ball court yelling at a bunch of jock chicks, whatever. Whats that saying? Ditch the ***** and lets go riding:D

Dec 25, 2008
So passenger infront..? Cool, ill give it a shot this winter. For me it seems just as easy... but then again half the time im sitting even when carving alone.

I miss winter ! stoked for sled show in syracuse next weekend!

Premium Features