• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rotax 440 in a hawk

J
Sep 21, 2009
SWE
I got a 503 hawk and want some more power without making it heavier.
Do you think a rotax 440 -04 would work??
what changes do you think must be made??
I belive the 503 exaust should work and i wonder if the cogbelg will break or not.:confused:

Please snowhawk experts give me some help
/Jonas
SWEDEN

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
After my own heart.

Why not?

About four years ago bought a nice 03 Rev440MXZX with under a thousand miles on it's odo., dismanteled it and a new Snow Hawk 503F 136" to do the transplant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmVhyHBRAM&feature=related

A friend perswaded me to trade him all the Twoskis parts and pieces for his really nice enclosed trailer, putt the Hawk back together and hooked my first victom! I did happen to weigh the engines before this, the 440liquid was five pounds less than the 503F not including it's water relations.:face-icon-small-hap

Through this wonderfull forum two years ago I found a Twoskier/Couchrider/Preacher in the classified section selling the goods, motor, electrics, clutch, pipe, carbs, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs3OpZqF2JY
He revelated that before he glued in the 8Hunnert in the chassi a new topend had revealed itself.
What do you know, when I popped the head off at home the rings had parted from the cylander and blended, must have overheated in the move or when his wrenches were spinning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2gxUYL7hcU

At least the $400.00 spent was worth the TRA alone, putt it away till justification of all new internals. ROO currently has it was going to overhaul for his ABOMINATION, now a 600HO is taking over.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135546
So now when I get it back from him back under the workbench till $$$tree blossoms.

If you want to go on the cheap, get TLKPROD's stock 07,8 exchanger he has removed and offering up on here, should drown that 440 in liquid, not sure if it will keep things on the cooldown when the snow is low, should help though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSlaZPzXUqc

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159910

This is Rude Awakening's 600HO one less chamber.
019.jpg

stuffforsale007.jpg

Mabe come up with your own.

Engine mount plate mounts in the same place but engine rides on rubber bushings TLKPROD should be able to help with the dimensions since he has his out for rolling his new Phat Hawk.

If anyone reading has ridden a factory snocross sled such as the MXZX, you can attest to the spunkieness of these little rippers, there is a switch on the harness to retard the timing for non pump gas application. Other wise buck up for the race juice putt the switch back and experience about fifty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vXgpBVK24o extra horse hooves over that Fan. An 800HORotax has 12:25 compression 140HP, the baby mill is over 14 and makes 96HP!;)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGrL_Dzb9SU

In the hands of a skilled rider it would be a lite weight Twoski Executioner.:D
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazymccurdy#play/uploads/8/6D5jMAgjwGg
Blow your nose ROO!:rose:

Last edited:
T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Wow SnowHawkAddict, that's a lot of work you threw up there on this post !

Radiator already sold ! Too late !

Motor mount on an '05 race 440 and an '05 600HO is the same part number, according to ski-doo's online parts catalog.

So the heart transplant could probably be a direct bolt on with a 600/ate Hunnert motor plate. I have all the dimensions to reproduce a stock 600/800 motor plate and rubber bushing core spacers. PM me about it if you really want to do it, i'm willing to help !

Would love to see this mod happening. According to me you'll probably still miss about 50 horses for the big mountains and super deep pow (do you even get that in Sweden ???) but it would make a crazy "SnowHawkCross" 121" or 136" machine if used with a proper suspension and a proper cooling system such as whitesurf's cooler. If used with the std, "under the seat" radiator, you don't get the weight reposition you're looking for, just a couple very welcomed poniiiiiz under da hood. Do it right the first time, treat yourslef with a rail radiator and you won't regret it !

SnowHawkAddict, what the heaven are you waiting for ! You got everything, just a matter of hooking up the hoses to one of your Sex-hunnert ! You will probably agree with me that you can't let that thing sit there anymore ! Enough resting ! Put that thing to work !

J
Sep 21, 2009
SWE
Thanks for the great answers guys!!
I belive the 440 would be the best chose for me becouse I have the 121", we dont have that mutch snow where i ride and I want it to be as lite as possible.
I dont think the cooling would be the biggest problem. My last snowmobile was the rev440 -04 and i know huw much cooling it need. It will be something like the pic snowhawkaddict posted. :rolleyes:

What du you think about the cog belt?? will it hold??? If it does not it will be expensive:(

I can really see this build happen in the future but I have to be realistic about it. right now Im unemployed and I only have enough money to ride it stock:(

/Jonas

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
My opinion on the cog belt is if you didn't blow one when riding your 503, you might end up still being fine with the 440. Friend of mine back east rides the 36mm wide cog belt on his 800 and he made it through 2 seasons so far without problems, he cleans his torque limiter often though. Yours probably don't have the Torque Limiter. If you snap a belt or 2, then don't sink some money in this anymore, you'll have to go to Chain drive and solve the problem forever.

This thing on a 121" will rip man ! It'll feel like a 125 !

S
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Utah
S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Gonna have to stack em!

60.jpg

So it fits in the VAN, allthread price is rising.:eek:

That 440 Rotax Hawk ought to lay over by just tilting your helmet, better invest in shoulder pads.

Last edited:

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
what are you really saving in weight?? over say a 6 or 800..
I also like the idea of less weight, but all the work and expense involved
Just doest seem like 30+ Hp is worth it.... 125s suck ***..
there is a reason alot of 440 sled owners are using the 600 jugs or entirely replacing the 440 with a 800...

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
You might have a deal..send me the #s I usually see Shane on a 200.plus..like hes riding in the photo.:D mini bikes for mini riders..

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
there is a reason alot of 440 sled owners are using the 600 jugs or entirely replacing the 440 with a 800...

All right enough with stuff like "5 pounds less than a 503", let's get some real numbers here !

My 800HO motor with the Y-Pipe and the back coolant line, no carbs, no Primary tops the scale at 72.2 pounds. And my stock 800 cooler weigh around 17.5 pounds all filled up with liquid, I weight it last week. So we can actually say the "power plant" of an 800HO motor and his water relatives to be close to 90 pounds. The rest is very close to be the same on all Hawks except tracks, rails and gas tanks.

Now Tony weigh your 440 Engine and Darryl weight your 503. Take a picture like I did, We'll let the facts speak here !

In my opinion the quest for power/weight (as of now, beginning of '09-'10 season) will remain going 800HO or 800R and soup it up (that means just make them work "RIGHT"), get the most out of our clutching, relocating as much weight as low as we can so we don't feel it. Going fanner mean you can't get over the 80HP mark "reliably". Add another "X" pounds (for the 800 powerplan) and you can achieve an easy 160, a possible 175+ reliable HP. Don't know if someone REALLY got there already (a guy in Qc told me he was at 180 just with an 84mm big bore pistons but I honestly don't think he's there yet). That's more than double the amount of horses guys for way way way, way way less double the weight. Radiator being relocated between the rails removes about 14 pounds down to about 5" off the ground instead of 20 something inches off the ground. That can't be a bad thing.

This quest can also be worked around another way with a turbo'ed rotary engine I think but then that would mean a guy would have to screw around designing a whole new tubular frame and go tubular. That would make it A BIT lighter. We can't forget that a decent mountain track will weigh 40-50+ pounds, fork assembly as stock is 27 pounds, Suspension/Shocks/Rails ???, CVT system ???, Driveshaft ?, Jackshaft ?, Gas tank big enough to last a day of riding ?... Unless a guy wants to go crazy on the carbon fiber, titanium and turbo'ed rotary engine, I don't think we can come up with something mountain capable that's really lighter than 350...

800 HO on a scale.jpg

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I can go get a photo of the 503 and weigh it.. but Im not thinking thats going to prove anything.. Sometimes it is the screamer that takes the show, but in my experience there isnt no disadvantage to cubic inches..as it relates to the hawk anyways..Can you tell I decided to dump building the 503??
Looking hard for a wrecked sled..

J
Sep 21, 2009
SWE

What im really saving isnt just some weight, I save alot of money too.
Lets say I build a 600 instead, the build cost would easily at least dubble for an extra 25hp here in sweden, and it would be heavier.
I just dont have that money.
+ Not everybody has a 440 snowhwak:p
125s dont suck, they just need a better driver too go fast:D

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
What im really saving isnt just some weight, I save alot of money too.
Lets say I build a 600 instead, the build cost would easily at least dubble for an extra 25hp here in sweden, and it would be heavier.
I just dont have that money.
+ Not everybody has a 440 snowhwak:p
125s dont suck, they just need a better driver too go fast:D

Why does it cost more to build a 6 than a 440??, Unless you already have the 440 doner sled..125s are fine for an MX track.. we ride mountains and goat trails on the bikes..and single skis... I wont even take anyone riding a 125cc mx bike.. guaranteed we would be scraping them up from a cliff face.. no traction, to squirly, cant climb the tech uphills, and always breaking down..Now let me tell you how I really feel:beer;

J
Sep 21, 2009
SWE
Why does it cost more to build a 6 than a 440??, Unless you already have the 440 doner sled..125s are fine for an MX track.. we ride mountains and goat trails on the bikes..and single skis... I wont even take anyone riding a 125cc mx bike.. guaranteed we would be scraping them up from a cliff face.. no traction, to squirly, cant climb the tech uphills, and always breaking down..Now let me tell you how I really feel:beer;

Becouse as you said everybody´s replacing the 440 with a 800 so theres alot of 440s lying around and I probably dont have to uppgrade the cog belt.
A 600 is more than dubble the prize than a 440 and i shouldnt even mension the 800 :(

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Something to satisfy my curiosity.

I'd like to know the weight of the following engines without primary and carbs on, just to satisfy my curiosity !!!`

600HO - That's a job for Rudeawakening !
Race 440 - SnowHawkaddict, put it on that scale !
503 - Off road Rider, weight it before you make a KTM 503 out of it !

Thanks in advance guys.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
503 71.3 lbs with clutch, no carbs or intake manifolds.. bathroom scale..
One tip for the guys running 503s there was a huge step or flange all the way around both the intake and exhaust ports from the shroud. carve that out of there. mine had at least an 1/8th inch all the way around:eek:

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
My 600 is just setting in the zx chassis, if rude does not get to it i will weight the 600 tonight.

Last edited:
Premium Features