• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP Questions. Engine/Suspension/Clutching

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Ok, finally bought a new sled. Now I have a few questions regarding certain enhancements. I work at a Doo dealer but we don't play with much more than pipe/can combo's and lots of clutching in our sleds. Now that I actually bought one of my own, I wanna do it up a little bit. Oh, it's a new '09 154 Everest.

I've played with many combo's and arrangements of Xp's but definately don't have the experience the forum draws. Thanx in advance!

So far, most likely or definately going to do the following:

SLP Head, y-pipe, pipe, and HPS can - Thinking of re-shaping the head instead of buying new, as well as ceramic coating the stock pipe however I hear the SLP combo sounds good and works well.

Boyesen reeds - eventually, definately not installing the Vforce(Ran them of 3 sleds last winter.....dead even with stockers throughout range of testing. If reeds go in, it's strickly because I want to spend more money with little emphasis on throttle response, if I feel a difference, great.

Was thinking of going with e removable secondary, keeping with the Doo roller I think. Shockwave and clutching.....I've thought about buying a clutch kit lately. Just to see what else is out there in terms of performance gains. Rooster Built or BJ? More than liekly buying BJ's brace for a piece of mind more than anything, don't expect to experience problems with engine mal-adjustment.

Who's having luck with nitrous on these 800R's? Haven't used it on the 800R. Simplest, most effective HP kit?

Now the real questions I'd like some input to:

1) Airboxes, what are people using and which is making performance gains if any? Bondi, Doo Airbox mod, Timber, etc?

2) Headlights, looking to get rid of them, was originally thinking of venting the top of the guage pod and using that as a hot air vent. Would it be better to use that area for a Cold air vent(airbox)

3) Suspension. Toss up between the Exits and Floats.......input? The rear is getting a Racer's edge Conversion and I'm looking to replace the front shock in the read skid as well.

4) Vent kit. I know the more hot air escapes the better, that's why i was thinking something big like R&M's kit if I went with the Timber Intake, however, not a real big fan of pods inside the cramped space of the XP. Or is this unfounded? Maybe the SLP kit is enough to keep the under hood temps down?

5) How about the Engine Tech Thermostat? Worth it? Think I'm gonna go that route unless not needed?

And now some input on some other questions that I have.

How does everyone like the new taller seat? I've spent a few miles on the showroom floor last spring but that's it.

Should I be talked out of the Racer's Edge Conversion for say a Holz or Timber skid?

Holz or ZBros front end worth the dough?

I've run a few bigbores and just looking stockish on this one. It's meant to be a fun play sled more than anything, but strong performance is a must.

Last edited:
S
Feb 4, 2008
washington
wow its a manifesto:face-icon-small-hap:beer;

like the racers edge skid Darrels stuffs nice

you need to talk to Winter Brew (Rooster built) serious and let him set u up:face-icon-small-hap:beer;

you getting up to Revy this year?

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
wow its a manifesto:face-icon-small-hap:beer;

like the racers edge skid Darrels stuffs nice

you need to talk to Winter Brew (Rooster built) serious and let him set u up:face-icon-small-hap:beer;

you getting up to Revy this year?

I hope so. Didn't make it once last season. First time in 15 years.

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
Dynoport/Crankshop Y-pipe, stock pipe, HPS, THING, or MBRP can

SLP air intake or Doo RS air intake. Don't run pods.

Doo Doctor removable secondary is a work of art. Got it....but can't comment on the performance....can't hurt eh. Shockwave works great. I have straight ramps....might try the progressive ramps this year (not rev angle). Leave primary stock but change out the 200/320 for a 160/320 spring. If a clutch kit is your thing, Dynamo Joes works great....I'm going to try it again this year with my engine hopefully "cured". Winterbrew's has good reviews as well.

I'm sure Racer's Edge skid is nice....but 2500 bucks for re-using the stock rails, stock front shock, and using an automotive rear shock? No thanks. Tom's Snowmobile would be my first choice....Timbersled next. Personally, I believe the skid is just for trail performance....for deep snow, the stocker can be made to work.

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
There's more than one way to skin a CAT ;)....but call me at the shop some evening and I'll give you my honest opinion of what works and what's a waste of $$. 253-333-8533, usually there from about 2:30-5 and weekends. Paul-

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Dynoport/Crankshop Y-pipe, stock pipe, HPS, THING, or MBRP can

I've been running the MBRP for the past 4 seasons on my Summits. Was looking for something similar with a different sound without the weight penalty(sorry Al) The more I think about it, I'll prolly reshape the stock head and ceramic coat the pipe at first. If i think there is more to be gained by going the aftermarket route I will. More than likely the SLP setup as I have a hard time saying anything bad about the set-up.

SLP air intake or Doo RS air intake. Don't run pods.

I'd almost be sold on the RS set-up but I saw n a website the venting that a company has for the pod, I do believe that it would be more benificial running the pod as a Hot air vent instead of Cold air intake. I haven't had the chance to try either way as I think I've said before, we just don't get too crazy at the shop(much to my encouragement to spice things up) The SLP intake doesn't really appeal to me as it still incorporates the stock airbox and the surface area for intake is much les than that of the Rev chassis(if it makes a difference? Surface area wise) Seems like a decent size of money for minimal gains. Hoping for a two in one deal, some weightloss/clear the clusterf*ck and stop using the side intake that comes standard.

Doo Doctor removable secondary is a work of art. Got it....but can't comment on the performance....can't hurt eh. Shockwave works great. I have straight ramps....might try the progressive ramps this year (not rev angle). Leave primary stock but change out the 200/320 for a 160/320 spring. If a clutch kit is your thing, Dynamo Joes works great....I'm going to try it again this year with my engine hopefully "cured". Winterbrew's has good reviews as well.

Never actually bought a clutch kit myself, always enjoyed finding new combo's and trying things myself. However, without much else to test against....I'm wondering if I'm leaving something on the table that other's have found? I'm pretty proud of my clutching expertise but there's that seed of doubt. I think I'll be calling Paul this weekend for a BS session. We had 2 DJ kits on some '08's and weren't really impressed, one was bone stock(stopped blowing belts but performance wasn't what i thought it should be. And the other one was a smild mod sled that prolly just had the wrong combo for what the desired effect was. Neither sled was mine so I can;t comment on exactly how things were done or if they've tried adding to the performance of the kit.

I'm sure Racer's Edge skid is nice....but 2500 bucks for re-using the stock rails, stock front shock, and using an automotive rear shock? No thanks. Tom's Snowmobile would be my first choice....Timbersled next. Personally, I believe the skid is just for trail performance....for deep snow, the stocker can be made to work.

Well, thankfully I do work at a shop and can get some parts a little less than most can. Hence the Baker Conversion option versus otheres. I believe it was a user on here that mentioned that a stock sled with the conversion was neck and neck with his 880. 880 + Conversion and it was lights out. Now was this with a set-up good running stocker or box stock?
Spend $2500 for a BB or $2500 for a skid that may or may not deliver the performance I'm looking for, but be a better set-up than stock Doo.(which I think we've played with enough that it's very capable....however?

Lots to think about, don't wanna be paying twice for the same mod if you know what I mean(which is very hard to do) Lots of reading and personal opinions are what i have to make these decisions. Hopefuly it's a fun winter and not a fustrating one like what you had last season Dave. That's the last thing I'd wish on a fellow sledder.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
There's more than one way to skin a CAT ;)....but call me at the shop some evening and I'll give you my honest opinion of what works and what's a waste of $$. 253-333-8533, usually there from about 2:30-5 and weekends. Paul-

Hehe, you know what I'm after don't you Paul? haha Makes even more sense now that the bro has bought a Cat/Yammi shop now.

I do have the afternoon off so I may just be calling you later today if possible.

Is the Timber that much of a sweet ride and light enough to put some more thought into a complete skid from Allen or is it worth what I am looking for? Climbing with some 10-15ft jumps here and there. I want to be able to abuse the hell outta this sled. So the finicky things....I'd rather stay away from. I already have a headache like that(I shouldn't say my Cat is a headache......but so much less to go wrong on something that isn't built from numerous one off parts.

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
XP work??

I got noth'n....just ask OT he knows EVERYTHING....;)-BJ

Phone number is listed below...pretty good with "package" deals..

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada

Well, thankfully I do work at a shop and can get some parts a little less than most can. Hence the Baker Conversion option versus otheres. I believe it was a user on here that mentioned that a stock sled with the conversion was neck and neck with his 880. 880 + Conversion and it was lights out. Now was this with a set-up good running stocker or box stock?
Spend $2500 for a BB or $2500 for a skid that may or may not deliver the performance I'm looking for, but be a better set-up than stock Doo.(which I think we've played with enough that it's very capable....however?

The guy that gave that comparison also upgraded to a Camo Extreme at the same time.....which will give more height on the hill than a stock track....

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Talking to some actual suspension guys, they dont have much to say about the floats. they are light though.

Enzo is doing a package for my suspension. We shall see. A couple of my buddies did rode them last year and really liked them.

Might have some answers on some engine stuff here in a bit.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
The guy that gave that comparison also upgraded to a Camo Extreme at the same time.....which will give more height on the hill than a stock track....

See, I failed to see that part in the thread. There's definately a difference there. Seen it many times. I was going to hold off on the track until next season. Do a BWK at the same time and slap a 156 CE on there.

what about just upgrading to the 2010 rear suspension. I am thinking of that on my '08

Never thought of that. Prolly not the route I am going to end up taking. Wanted to get away from the stock set-up, looked at a float or Exits, might as well go all the way if I'm there anyways. For the gains I think I'll see, it'll be worth it. But that's why threads like these.....things I don't remember from past threads etc etc.

Port, how much would a set run? All around? Adjustability?

Premium Features