• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

phazer stuck wide open

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
ran good last year. This year, I changed the recoil rope. I put it back to gether and it fired up on the 5th / 6th pull full choke. It idled very high so I turned it off. I checked the carb boots and they look fine and they are seated correctly onto the airbox and carbs.

I adjusted the white knob (when in doubt, start messing with stuff) on the carb. Now it won't start at all. I returned the white knob to its origianal position but no luck.

Spark is good, it feels like lots of compression. I put a bit of gas down each cylinder and it ran for a second.

Before I rip apart the carbs, anything else to try?

Last edited:
S
Dec 27, 2007
Aberdeen, SD
I have an older Yamaha that acted the same way last season. I always drain the float bowels at seasons end. The fuel pump allowed the oil to flow through from the oil tank and filled the fuel lines and float bowels with oil. I had to disassemble all three carbs, remove all jets, and use carb cleaner throughout. It worked great again after that. I would pull a float bowel bolt and drain the fuel in a clean cup to make sure gas is pure.

T

tard

Nov 28, 2007
I agree on the carbs, the other thing to check is the choke plungers. I have re done carbs on 4 Yammies this year, and 2 of them the choke did not return properly. A little lube on the plunger shafts fit it up.

B
Mar 19, 2009
You need to clean your pilot jets and put new spark plugs in it. As far as the white knobs, (idle screws) have your local Yamaha dealer give you specs to get them in the right place.

A
Aug 7, 2009
Berthoud Colorado
You said it has been setting for a year? I am sure the gas smells ok.
Also you said you poured gas into the carbs and then it started for a bit.
That is good.
Have you unhooked the gas line to see if it is flowing. Something could have stopped the flow from the tank. Or the oil pump
Could have gotten dirty fuel, Not sure if you have a fuel filter on your machine.
Hope you get it figured out.
Please let us know as you progress.

Last edited:
K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
updated, Thanks for the help so far

took the carbs apart, drained and cleaned. Put it back together now it starts right away. Problem is that it is wide open. This is what it was doing prior to not starting.

When I had the carbs off, I pulled the throttle and it opened and closed the flapper normally. It didn't stick at all. It isn't a stuck cable. When I pull it now, it sounds like it is opening the flapper.

Now what??

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
I can't edit the title of the other thread so I am starting a new one.

1998 phazer, ran good last year. This fall, I got to start it and it is wide open. I kill the throttle then it won't start :(

clean the carbs now it starts but it is wide open.

The throttle seems to move the flapper in the carb body so I don't think the cable is stuck

any ideas?

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
the throttle cable opens the flapper, I can hear it moving inside the carb with the engine shut off.

If there is dirt or something in the carb, shouldn't it block the gas or air and make it hard to start or run slow / poor?

I am thinking of raising the track and then starting it. Then I can play with the throttle cable to see if it is sticking. Right now, the sled wants to rocket off because the track is on the ground.

My concern with this idea is a cold sieze.

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
the throttle cable opens the flapper, I can hear it moving inside the carb with the engine shut off.

If there is dirt or something in the carb, shouldn't it block the gas or air and make it hard to start or run slow / poor?

I am thinking of raising the track and then starting it. Then I can play with the throttle cable to see if it is sticking. Right now, the sled wants to rocket off because the track is on the ground.

OK, Something is wrong here. It sounds like either something went wrong upon reassembling the carbs or possibly you forgot to unscrew the idle screw you originally turned in because it wouldn't idle?

A
Aug 7, 2009
Berthoud Colorado
do like ^^^^above and check the idle screw if it is all the way it will be almost full throttle.

When you had the carbs apart did you do anything to the needle? Did you adjust it any?
Also stick your finger in the carb from the side to make sure the slides are moving crisp.

Last edited:

take the belt off, then it wont move and you dont have the potential for it falling off the stand and ghost riding. somewhere on the cable itself is an adjuster. should be a brass looking affair with nuts for adjusting, or a plastic sleeve if yours is a 2 into 1 cable. find this joint and make sure its together. sometimes after removing carbs it will hang. remove the cable from the thumb flipper and pull it by hand. should be about a 1/4" or more slack before feeling the slides. leave it unhooked when starting and see if it makes a difference. sounds more control than carbs.

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
thank you guys. The throttle cable was too tight. It was always 3/4 open. I adjusted it as much as I can and it is perfect now.

BTW, there is a lot of clever engineering with these Phazers. No wonder they sold so many of them.

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
it is running good and I cleaned it up. A real nice example of this sled.

IMG_7408.jpg

IMG_7409.jpg

IMG_7412.jpg

IMG_7414.jpg

Premium Features