• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any problems with radiator removal

L
Aug 29, 2008
CT
Has any one had any over heating problems after removing there front radiator on there older IQ's while on the trail? I want to go with the 09+ frount end on my 06 but when i get stuck on the trail i don't want to over heat. (I do have have scrachers already)

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Yup, removing your radiator will help you run cooler actually, just remember to use your scratchers as you should be.

here's a couple helpful links for you on how to do it.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157449

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161289

Just make sure you get the system completely 'burped' after you get it back together... elevating the front end and cracking the bleed screw while you let the machine idle for a few minutes will be very effective.

Good luck:beer;

O
Oct 14, 2008
I am wanting to remove my front rad. Does anyone have instructions. pictures or a link on how to remove the rad from a 06 600 switchback HO. It seems that they are different from the 900 go figure.

S
Sep 24, 2009
MN
I just finished doing this task on an 06 600HO RMK. SLP provides you with step by step instructions and an illustration. Not very hard (the actual removal and installation). I would scan and post my instruction sheet but it is kind of coated in coolant now. Sorry.

One question for anyone else that has done this though, the restricter goes into the same hose as the one cut, correct? I am fairly certain but want to be absolutely sure.

Also, if anyone can tell me where the bleeder screw is or a trick on how to get the springs back on the fat part of the pipe I would be grateful.

L
Aug 29, 2008
CT
I just started to remove mine. I have a 2006 switchback 600HO. Getting the radiator out is EZ you just have to remove the cover with the star drives and it comes right out. With mine i want it to look like it came without a radiator so I ordered the factory block off for the radiator and the 08 RMK 800 (163) coolant bottle and thermostat with a the bypass hole. I also went to home depot and got a 3/4 brass plug to plug up the bottom of the head where the coolant when to the radiator. The existing fitting just trends out. I will let you know how it goes.

J
Feb 18, 2009
I've got a couple of questions.

How does having the front radiator removed cause the sled to run cooler?

Most of our riding is done off trail in decent snow, but sometimes when the whole family comes, we are stuck on the trail with them most of the day. Would this cause an overheatin problem without the front radiator?

I

IQOUTLAW

Sep 10, 2008
Mine is removed!!!

I am riding an 07 Switchback 600 CFI and I removed mine last year and ran over 1,000 miles on a trip in the UP of Michigain with NO PROBLEMS!

I also updated my thermostat and coolant bottle so that it had the right "look" and Tri City Polaris was a big help. The t-stat update also helps with your engine temp and is worth every penny...

I was NOT running scratchers and ran on a warm day(36 deg) in Pennsylvania on very hard packed snow(practically ice). I did have some overheating and had to find deep snow ASAP.

I installed scratchers for this season and think that this will eliminate the problem that I ran into last year.

I also did the 09 front end update for this season and installed an aftermarket front bumper.

The reason the sled will run cooler after removing the radiator is because generally the front end of your sled(with the radiator) is going to fill up with snow(because of the vent in the belly pan) which will start to melt from the radiator and then freeze into a solid block of ice right infront of the radiator. This block of ice would block all airflow to the radiator which will in turn make your sled run hotter.

By eliminating the radiator you can also cover the belly pan vent with a float/ skid plate or block it off on the inside to prevent all of that snow from going into the nose of your sled. Or you can go with the 09 plastics update... You are also removing some weight by elimiating some hoses, a radiator, some fluid, and that block of ice!!!

A LOT of people have done this and there are soem very useful threads posted above. Mountainhorse was a big help when I did mine!

Good Luck!!!

MAXX:beer;:beer;:beer;

J

JesseJames

Jan 9, 2005
It runs cooler with the radiator removed because it is a parallel loop. Back when we first removed these out of the 900s, most of us removed the loop all together, and disregarded SLP's instructions to use the inline restrictor. That way ALL the coolant has to go through the heat exchangers, and can't just "loop" around where the radiator used to be. Jesse.

L
Aug 29, 2008
CT
I just trail tested my switchback with the radiator removed this weekend. I also added a 151x2 track this year too. I had no problems at all cooling so far. The new track throws a lot more snow on the coolers. As long as there a small amount of fluff I stayed a 126 all day. On the hard packed snow covered road I had to ride for about a mile it only got up to about 140-150. Haven't had to run the scratchers yet. So far so good.

Premium Features