• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Nytro overheated

R
Jan 5, 2009
I bought a new 2009 Nytro last week and had it crate shipped to my house. After putting everything together, I started the sled and was going to let it idle for about 10 minutes. The sled sounded fine, but after about 5 minutes or longer the sled shut down, and the yellow warning light came on as well as the hot temp icon. The radiator was full of coolant, I pulled the rubber bleed nipple off to chech for an air lock, but coolant was the only thing that came out, and the overflow tank is full of coolant. The only thing I noticed that may be wrong, is the radiator fan did not come on. Can anyone tell me when it is supposed to come on, and how to diagnose problems with the fan, relay or???

Thanks Vince

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
IF its like the apex once the coolant hits 220 degrees it shuts the sled down. Sounds like it was a normal operation for the sled and nothing to worry about.

R
Jan 5, 2009
IF its like the apex once the coolant hits 220 degrees it shuts the sled down. Sounds like it was a normal operation for the sled and nothing to worry about.

The radiator fan never did start up. When is the fan supposed to come on?

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Another thing...is that if you didn't touch the throttle then the sled will shut down after a period of time to prevent overheat as well. I can't remember exactly what the time limit is but its in the manual.

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
The fan should come on at about 165-170 if I remeber correctly. The fan relay is in the nose of the sled. There are 4 of them it is the one closest to the motor.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Fan probably came on you just could not hear it. also....10 minutes is a long time to leave a sled running in the garage with no snow hitting the heat exchangers. if yamaha did not have shutdown protection for this you would have overheated the engine and f'ed it up. its kind of like letting a boat idle on the trailer with no water to cool it

R
Jan 5, 2009
Thanks for the replies. Here is the latest findings:

Radiator fan motor tested good.

Radiator fan motor relay is good.

Radiator fan motor fuse is good.

I will be testing the coolant sensor tonite but I expect it to test good.

What I still do not know is when the fan is supposed to go on/off and how often these fans typically run. I would expect that the fan runs frequently especially in warmer conditions but I do not have another sled to compare it to. Any information is appreciated.
Rogue Rider

Y

yamaha4life

Feb 11, 2009
don't worry about it my apex mtx does it too. the engine shuts off to prevent overheating issues and therefore preventing it from blowing up. it's a safety thing.:)

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
The Q is, did it stop because of overheating or time limit, my guess is the time limit, else there are something wrong with the fan, it should go on before overheating!
I let my sleds idle for ~5min @ the most, especially when it's new it tends to go warm!

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
The Q is, did it stop because of overheating or time limit, my guess is the time limit, else there are something wrong with the fan, it should go on before overheating!
I let my sleds idle for ~5min @ the most, especially when it's new it tends to go warm!

I usually let mine idle until the red temp light turns off, and after that its fair game!

R
Jan 5, 2009
Sorry to have so many questions but here is one more. I want to test the coolant temp sensor next.

Can someone tell me where the sensor is located and what is involved to remove it?

Thanks

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
Hey man you dont have to jump my ****.... i was jus sayin it sounds like
blown head gasket:face-icon-small-con

SORRY if it looked like I was jumping your ****
I did not read where you said you thought it might be a headgasket
I was wondering what it test for temp freezing, with only @ 15% mixture
Yamaha recommends a 3:2 antifreeze and water mix
from the coolant manufacture label
mixture freeze temp boiling temp
70-30 -84' +275'
50-50 -34' +265'
all at 15 psi
?
15-85 ? ?
sounds like it could freeze to me and I wouldnt want someone to freeze their motor, so I thought I would ask? So now I have to ask again do you know what temp its test good for?

PS. checked 7 parts water / 1 part coolant
tested with 2 different testers good to @ +20'

Last edited:
Premium Features