• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

avid drivers

CHARIOT OF DOOM

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
looking to buy a set of avid drivers for 09 dragon 800. will they fit on stock shaft? and also when i went to purchase them they ask for a shaft size, i thought mine was 3 inch but the dont give that option. what am i missing?? 2.86 pitch with 7 tooth? do you need a anti stab kit?

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
Call avid they will set you up . I have a 08 d8 with avid drivers they will fit your stock shaft and 2.86 is right not 3" . And yes you have to get a anti stab kit because you have to cut your rails . I found that mountain machine has the best anti stab kit .

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
^^^^ yeap pretty much, If I remember right there was a slight difference in the 08-09 shafts, like the 09's were just a hair smaller. not sure though.

Give them a call and they will hook you up.

Last edited:
N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
I bought a set when they first came out for my 900. They work awesome. The Avid combo fits all year splined Polaris driveshaft. You need 2.86 pitch 8 tooth. SLP also makes a great anti-stab kit.

Avid combo drivers with SLP anti-stab wheels
900_2.jpg

R
Dec 30, 2008
Spokane
Question? I am considering the Avid drivers, I understand I need the 7tooth 2.86 pitch along with the anti stab kit, I also want to change to a camo extreme but have heard the power claw is a good track also...any impute or experence with this setup would be apreciated

Last edited:

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
I would go with the 3" pitch then you can run either track , I think the powder claw only comes in a 3" pitch and the camo extreme comes in either pitch .

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
So which is it 7 or 8 tooth? And once you cut your rails what will hold your hyfax's on if you cut off the screw hole up front?

I went through the exercise in FUTILITY and installed the anti-ratchets on my 2002 EDGE-X 800. What I did was not use the anti-stab kit and just relocated everything approx 2 1/2" further back and re-installing the stock factory roundover tips back onto the aluminum rails (I obviously did not due a straight cut, I duplicated the original shape on the rail tips) Ditto for the hyfax mounting holes, relocated 2 1/2" further back as well.

Like I mentioned up front, a real pain in the a$$

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
I would go with the 3" pitch then you can run either track , I think the powder claw only comes in a 3" pitch and the camo extreme comes in either pitch .

You cannot run a 3.0 pitch driver with a 2.86 pitch track. Powder claw is a 3.0 pitch track.

3.0 Pitch x 8 Tooth Driver = 24/(pi) 3.14 = 7.64 Dia. Driver
3.0 Pitch x 7 Tooth Driver = 21/(pi) 3.14 = 6.68 Dia. Driver
2.86 Pitch x 8 Tooth Driver = 22.88/(pi) 3.14 = 7.28 Dia. Driver

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
So which is it 7 or 8 tooth? And once you cut your rails what will hold your hyfax's on if you cut off the screw hole up front?

You don't cut your rails back that far, usually just to the limiter straps is far enough which allows you to still screw the hyfax to the rails. The anit-stab kit replaces the bar that the limiter strap is connected to as you can tell in the picture that I posted above which also shows the screw that holds the hyfax on.

Last edited:
T

TREE MAGNET

Oct 28, 2008
ST. MARIES
the 2.86 pitch combo driver from avid is only available in an 8 tooth for polaris.

all good information nelson, but you can run a 3.0 driver on a 2.86 track or a 2.86 driver on a 3.0 track. I ran a 2.86 driver with a 3.0 track half a season last year.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
all good information nelson, but you can run a 3.0 driver on a 2.86 track or a 2.86 driver on a 3.0 track. I ran a 2.86 driver with a 3.0 track half a season last year.

this is true.. if you mic' the distance between the knobs on the drivers they are all pretty darn close. the 3.0 avid is really more along the lines of 2.94ish and the 2.86 polaris drivers are actualy around 2.90ish. they will work with either track, the fit isnt quite as good though. the whal bros 8tooth 3.0 pitch is what i decided to use on my sled with the power claw and when you mic' it the drive cogs are 2.98

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Here's some info from a previous post from Mountainhorse...

Quote:
A 3" pitch driver has 3" between the base of the tooth at the rim of the driver (not the tip of the tooth)...

3" x 8 teeth = approx 24" circumference of the driver rim....
3" x 7 teeth = approx 21" circumference of the driver rim....
2.86" x 8 teeth = approx 22.8" circumference of the driver rim...

or in other words

Circumference / ∏ = Diameter

3" pitch x 8 tooth.... 24/∏ = approx 7.64" diameter ... 3.82" from driveshaft center to inside surface of the track

3" pitch x 7 tooth.... 21/∏ = approx 6.68" diameter ... 3.34" from driveshaft center to inside surface of the track

2.86" pitch x 8 tooth.... 22.8/∏ = approx 7.25" diameter ... 3.625" from driveshaft center to inside surface of the track

A 3" pitch 8 tooth driver will push any given track about .195" closer to the tunnel than a 8 tooth, 2.86" pitch driver. If you add the extra 0.10" of a camo extreme 2.5" track.... mind you in the 3" pitch... you will decrease the tunnel clearance by more than 1/4" over the 2.4" polaris running the 8 tooth 2.86" pitch drivers. This is why the 7 tooth drivers are necessary.

The 3" x 7 tooth driver brings the inside surface of the track .28" closer (over 1/4") closer to the swing arm rub pads.

To answer your question (finally, because I had a brain fart in not reading your question carefully)

For the 2.25" track... on 3" pitch, 8 tooth drivers... an approximation... I'm assuming the Cat Power Claw is a single ply track.... the clearance would open up by the .15" shorter lug LESS the added radius of the 3" pitch, 8 tooth driver (.195") or about .045" Less clearance than the stock Dragon single ply 2.4"... wow... less clearance than the stock 2.4... Who da thunk it???

Some on the forum are using the stock Dragon 2.86" pitch drivers on the 3" pitch tracks... I looked into this a bit... talked with Bruce at Camoplast last season about it as well.

Although the 2.86" pitch drivers will turn the track, the smaller drive cogs of the 2.86" pitch drivers will not fill the space between the involute drive "nubs" inside the track of a 3" pitch and cause slop and wear on the nubs... more prone to ratcheting... if combo 2.86" pitch drivers are used with a 3" track.. the drive teeth will be engauged more than they should.

Since the Power Claw track does NOT have driver windows... the stock center extrovert driver will not have a place to operate and will need to be removed from the driveshaft, which... IMO... is even a good Idea on the Stock Dragon running the stock track to avoid Ice build up and causing other problems. Again, this is IMO and a lot of others will attest that they have had no problems.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
As far as hi-fax go leave them on and use a cordless saws- all, cut at an angle leaving room to drill the holes for the anti stab kit. Done this several times with many miles on sleds and no problems

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Nelson...

A 3" pitch 8 tooth Avid Combo driver and the 3" pitch 8 tooth PPD driver (sold by Wahl, SLP and Carls) has essentially the same Diameter... the track is not pushed any closer to the tunnel with a introvert compared to a combo (avid) driver

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
Also there are different ways to skin a cat.. I chose to leave the 2.86 8 tooth avid extros that I had on my sled when I switched to the ez-ryde with a camo extreme track. I didnt miss any riding (waiting on drivers to show up). It worked flawlessly and I am not seeing any excessive ware or any rubbing on my tunnel. I have no weird vibrations and if I didnt tell you I know you couldnt tell the difference. And yes I am running a turbo so there is a lot of power pushing on these drivers. The doo guys have been doing this mod for quite some time.. I agree that if you have all the stuff the "best" way would be to change out the drivers when going with a new track.

I also suggest going to the 3" drivers that way you can run either track the PC or the xtreme.

Premium Features