• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Assault front shocks info

L
Aug 2, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Looking for a bit of info on the WE shocks on the front end of the Assault. Two questions really....

1. What are the proper dimensions, ie c-c, and whatever else is important

2. WHat are all the alternatives for replacing them? I know about the fox floats but haven't heard any talk of any other air or coil over shocks.

W
May 14, 2008
Iron Range
It's not that they are bad shocks they just have a small problem. The shaft finish is to soft so it can be nicked or scrachted far to easy.

Skinz protective geat has a set of shock cover made out of airoprene a vent neoprene That i put on my assault shocks when I pick it up from the dealer. I put 1500 mile of bush wacking on my sled and haven't had any problems with them.

If you have wipe them out the guy's at ice age mfg. got the hook up on harder shafts for those shocks.

A
Jan 14, 2009
Anchorage , AK
You also may want to consider the Walker Needles off of the 2010 Assault . Its about $1000 for the ski shocks with springs . I work and ride with a guy who has a 2009 Dragon SP 121 with those and Praise newborn baby Jesus they are awesome !

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Options...

We lost two weekends of riding due to seal failure, but it was really frikkin' cold that weekend. -17*F. I bought two pair of IQR shocks form Judnick Racing, and replaced the set on my sled.

The wife continued with her stock set of "WE Airs" and never had a problem again.

The replacement IQR "needles" are a little stiff for my taste, but were OEM calibrated for racing. I believe a quick oil change, and then maybe a a softer spring rate, and they will be more compliant.

If I remember right, the center to center was not the same, I can't remember which way it was off, but I have not had any problems with them.

The weight difference was negligible.

Assaults 032.jpg Assaults 040.jpg

S
Nov 27, 2007
SK
i believe the c to c is 18".

Walker Evans arent bad but need to be rebuilt more often than others. ZBros, Custom Axis, Fox, Works are alternatives...get whatever you buy valved for your weight and riding style.

Coilover v. Air shocks seem to be chosen by brand preference and riding style. i hate having to ride with an air pump. i chose coilovers.

I just ordered a full set of Zbros X1's to replace the WE's on my Assault. The stock piggyback WE's wouldnt quit sagging and I even ran neoprene protectors on them right from the start.

Do a search for shocks and you will see a mountain of info. MH and the guys here have revisited this topic at length.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
You also may want to consider the Walker Needles off of the 2010 Assault . Its about $1000 for the ski shocks with springs

Actually, If you buy the aftermarket versions from Tri City Polaris... You will be out of pocket about $700. These also feature a better Dual Rate spring and the high flow pistons compared to the 2010 stock Assault shocks and have a much better valve stack for the non racer.

I believe they are available in Assault or RMK lengths on request.

IQR WE Piggybacks are too stiff in spring and valving for use on the Assault and are a bit too long. They will give too much ski pressure and make the sled out of balance. You can have them shimmed to make them shorter and change the valving though...just keep the overall cost of the service and parts in mind when purchasing a set of IQR shocks with the intention to use them on the assault. For the RMK... I believe that they will be not be able provide full travel of the suspension due to the longer body length (longer colapsed length CtoC)

Last edited:
L

LT

Nov 20, 2008
menahga, mn.
so the c to c on the assault is 18in. whats the c to c on say a polaris shift?? will the 18in assault shocks work on a 09 shift???

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Which Shift??

They will fit the Switchback shift and the 121" shift but not the RMK shifts.

The Flatland/Cross shifts have the same width front (42.5') and same length shocks (18") as the Assault (42.5" & 18")

If you run the 18" shocks on the front of a narrow 40" RMK, you will not have proper sled balance, too much ski pressure and it will require much more steering effort.

L

LT

Nov 20, 2008
menahga, mn.
thanks crow and mthorse. srry i didnt specify first off...they would be going on a 09 shift 136in.

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
hey jermery they might be nice but who ever has them on there sled that you ride with should buy ohlins. they are worth every penny

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Also, I spoke with Nate Zolinger this morning...

Z-Broz (Exit/ARS-FX) will be making tweaks for the Assault WE Needle shocks that will include reworking the Rebound valving and a triple rate spring package to take these shocks to the next level.

They have a set in the shop right now and will be working with them on the shock dyno to get them dialed in. They really know their stuff.

Should be a good option for these WE Needle shocks .

Premium Features