• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IQr front suspension swap

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
I should have been a little more specific. I meant swapping an IQr front into a RAW chassis.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
It's 12 pounds heavier but a hell of a lot stronger. You need to use everything including the tie rods from the iqr to do it right. If you're using the WE shocks (which is the only reason to do the IQr swap IMO) it will sit a little higher so you may want to use some drop spindles. The race WE shocks are pretty stiff so you might want to get them revalved pretty loose if you are more of a boondocker.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Like IQRIDR said ...you will need everything...this will work on all the IQ Chassis from 2005 - current.

Also... the ride height and ski pressure will be way off as will the valving.

You end up with a wide front end, I believe 43-45" and add a fair amont of weight... about 15 lbs for the pre 2009... after 2009, with the Holz front that was factory installs on the IQR's now. The weight of the new IQR fronts is about a couple pounds more than stock RMK's. These still sit higher in the front than the RMK's and because of that will give more fwd biased ski pressure and make for more steering effort.

Dont confuse this type of ski pressure from too tall a front end with the ski pressure from a skid designed for high hp.

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
So MH, is there any reason to recommend doing this swap? I assume the taller front will affect approach angle?

Z
Dec 20, 2007
To me it would be worth it because up here in the north east there isn't alot of "boondocking" just alot of ditch banging and jumps, so the added width will help me out and so will the better shocks, im definatley going to looking into this and see if timespentsearching from HCS can get the shocks revalved.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If you use the two inch drop spindles... this would prove to be a very stable platform with premium shocks to it. Very durable as well.

There are many different camps of thought on it...and different abilitys and weights of riders speaking about it... IMO.. On a mountain sled, used primarily in the mountains...a wider front is not an asset in anything but climbing.

TCP or FasTrax can revalve these shocks for non race use easily.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I guess you have a good reason to do it in the flat lands. But it goes against all standards in a mtn chassis. Lightweight is out the door, soft shocks for carving and sidehilling go out the door, narrow stance goes out the door, etc. Seems like you would be better off trading your RMK for a flat lander sled or IQR (then you could really let it fly). Just my $.02

Z
Dec 20, 2007
i have a switchback dragon which is ideal for the way i ride, just the suspension isn't quite up to par. I would LOVE an IQR but if you want an IQR in new england your going to pay the big bucks.

Jan 10, 2008
i have a switchback dragon which is ideal for the way i ride, just the suspension isn't quite up to par. I would LOVE an IQR but if you want an IQR in new england your going to pay the big bucks.

If your into an IQr front end. I have one!!! PM me if interested.

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
I ride a assault and I actually like the wide ski stance it has. I think the iqr front end setup right would be similar, but stronger just soften up the shocks get drop spindles good to go!!!

S

springer

Feb 1, 2008
Washington
PM Winter I know for sure that he a 09 Iqr front end complete.The 09's have the holz spindles so there is no need to drop them further.

Premium Features