• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

porting for 700RMK(dragon)???

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
Looking for opinions on porting my 08' 700 RMK. Debating between Fastrax, and Carls. I know both of these companies will do the job right, but the question is whether its worth the money. I figure that if I get porting done, it will be for a pump gas (90octane) or Pump/trick110 mixture with (93-94octane), dont know if its worth the horse power to have to mix fuel, or what kind of power would even be gained either way from stock. Any opinions from the people who have these setups????Thanks.

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
With Carls you will just need a re-flash done, but I believe you'll need to run a controller with the Fastrax porting.

What do you have done already? Both are great to work with and do as equally as good of job with their set ups.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
With Carls you will just need a re-flash done, but I believe you'll need to run a controller with the Fastrax porting.

What do you have done already? Both are great to work with and do as equally as good of job with their set ups.

Have Carls Float 2's up front, float front track shock, and Zero pro clicker in the very back. SLP silencer attached to stock pipe(wondering how well that would work with the porting job, or if its really worth getting the pipe made for the porting setup). Going to install a power claw 153", before I do anything else.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
You definitely won't get as much of a gain by porting and running a stock pipe.If its temporary and you plan to add the pipe or pipes when you can afford it, I'd say go for it.If you are only going to do one or the other....do the pipe-more cost effective in the end. Porting is all about moving and directing airflow.The porting won't be as effective if its corked up on the exhaust side or choked down on the inlet side-high flow intake,porting and pipe need to be done as a package to realize the maximum gain for your dollar.Here's a fun test we've been through several times now with customers...put on your ported cylinders set it up and ride a day or two, then put the pipe in the equation, adjust the set up accordingly and go ride again- you will understand how it all works together after this exercise-to many people install several mods at once and never truly know what each mod did for the performance of their sled.

curt

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
You definitely won't get as much of a gain by porting and running a stock pipe.If its temporary and you plan to add the pipe or pipes when you can afford it, I'd say go for it.If you are only going to do one or the other....do the pipe-more cost effective in the end. Porting is all about moving and directing airflow.The porting won't be as effective if its corked up on the exhaust side or choked down on the inlet side-high flow intake,porting and pipe need to be done as a package to realize the maximum gain for your dollar.Here's a fun test we've been through several times now with customers...put on your ported cylinders set it up and ride a day or two, then put the pipe in the equation, adjust the set up accordingly and go ride again- you will understand how it all works together after this exercise-to many people install several mods at once and never truly know what each mod did for the performance of their sled.

curt

absolutely correct and all of this is a waste unless you jet and clutch for the changes. Curt does a good job with clutching so get your information from him. The jetting can be trial and error but Curt will get you a baseline to start at.

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
The 700 Dragon is a CFI engine, no jetting.

Not to Hijack the thread but,

Curt, In conjunction with your porting, what pipes have you been testing with the best response on the 800CFI?

SLP single, SLP twins?

I was particularly wondering if you have run or been around the CPI Twins for the 800 at all?

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
Thanks for the response Curt. Do you know if anyone has tried running the twin pipes for the 800 CFI on the 700. I would think they may be in tune, if the 700 is ported, and your running at lower elevations???

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
Decided to go with Carls, and I will be tearing down my sled tonight so I can ship off my cylinders, and ecu. Now I just need to find a power claw track and order a drop and roll kit from fastrax. Should be a good winter.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
The 700 Dragon is a CFI engine, no jetting.

Not to Hijack the thread but,

Curt, In conjunction with your porting, what pipes have you been testing with the best response on the 800CFI?

SLP single, SLP twins?

I was particularly wondering if you have run or been around the CPI Twins for the 800 at all?

Wow Guys, I apologize for missing these questions-haven't been getting notifications on my e-mail-its tough for me to get on here everyday and surf the forums! Anyway, all of our development has been with SLP (twins and singles both). Zero experience with CPI on these motors. The 800 pipe on a 700 for low elevation really isn't the answer(although it may work!)-use the 700 pipes and install larger stingers appropriate for your area and conditions.I would pull some compression out of your motor also for sea level use-you'll like the results!

curt

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
Well I figure I better update my thread. I installed the Carls Porting setup, and can say that I am enjoying the results. Pretty much my goal was to make my 700 run like an 800, and I believe that has been accomplished. More field testing against a stock 800 RMK is needed though. I did have to go up 2 grams on my weights, so that is a good sign of new power. I have been mixing my fuel with trick 110 to achieve 92+ octane. Chris at Carls did say I may be able to get away with straight 90octane. What are you other guys running for fuel with your porting, near sea level, without head work???
Although I like my porting, I must say the biggest improvement this year has been switching to a power claw 153. I am running Fastrax hex shaft conversion with 8-tooth wahl extroverts. Yes it does fit with minimal grinding on the back of the rails, so dont let anyone tell you otherwise. However you may want to install a pre stretched track if possible.

J

JesseJames

Jan 9, 2005
I have been thinking of having carls or slp port my 700. Does Carls reflash your ecu? I assume you are running an SLP pipe for the ported motor? Did they do any case porting? Thanks, Jesse.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
thedougdanger_ak ran a ported 07d7 here alst year. First with an slp single, then with twin slp race pipes. His was ported by fastrax and ran the fuel box. That thing ripped with the single. The twins were a headache. He went back to the single and put a 163 camo extreme under it and was out climbing 163 dragons with it. This year he stepped up to the turbo crowd. He made us a believer in the lil 7 though last year with his ported 7.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
I have been thinking of having carls or slp port my 700. Does Carls reflash your ecu? I assume you are running an SLP pipe for the ported motor? Did they do any case porting? Thanks, Jesse.

Yes I am running the SLP power edition single pipe, and carbon tech reeds. Carls does a reflash of the ecu for this setup, and I did not have any case porting or head work done. My understanding is if you live at higher elevations then head work is recommended. I went with Carls over SLP because Chris Kassel over at Carls is awesome at customer service, however Curtis at Fastrax is awesome also.

Premium Features