• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on 08 D7 Suspension Upgrade

S

searafter35

Nov 27, 2007
Beavercreek, OR
I know there have been several threads on the subject but I'm still asking the question:

To those that have spent the time, energy and money upgrading and dialing in their suspensions, what do you suggest as far as upgrading both the front and rear suspension 08 D7? The Walkers are officially dead to me!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I did the Fox Float Evol R's on the front with Holz front end. It's a great upgrade over the soft WE's. The R's give rebound adjustment which is great for the bumps. Even Fox Floats are a good update. Some people really like the Z's as well.

For the back...I did a Holz on my D7 and it was great. Then I got a 09 D8 and went back to stock and it is terrible. I'm probably going with the Timbersled because it is a bunch cheaper than the Holz Alpha. If money were not an issue, I would do the Alpha hands down. The Holz products are awesome. My $.02.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Where is Beaver Creek Oregon? The reason I ask is that if you are not too far away from Baker Oregon you can NOT DO A THING (for now). Then around December come over and test ride our performance partner demo sled. It is a normally asperated 2009 800cc twin piper from Carl's Cycle Sales with full Holz Racing Products suspension. Fox Evol X up front and the Alpha-X in the rear. YOU WILL LEAVE THAT TEST RIDE WITH VISIONS OF EXTREME MONEY EXPENDITURES! This package is incredible!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I'm running a old style Holz coil over in the back and a set of float 2's up front, Very happy with it so far but I am also planning on adding the Holz front end package to mine for this year.

If your looking for an entire package Mountain Horse has/had (not sure if he's still got it) a great package for sale in the swap that would do great things for your D7.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Where is Beaver Creek Oregon? The reason I ask is that if you are not too far away from Baker Oregon you can NOT DO A THING (for now). Then around December come over and test ride our performance partner demo sled. It is a normally asperated 2009 800cc twin piper from Carl's Cycle Sales with full Holz Racing Products suspension. Fox Evol X up front and the Alpha-X in the rear. YOU WILL LEAVE THAT TEST RIDE WITH VISIONS OF EXTREME MONEY EXPENDITURES! This package is incredible!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

why does that track have the nubs still on it? i thought you clipped them

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Why not put a good set of shocks in the OEM setup and see how you like that? Go with the Fox Floats at least, maybe even the Evol R's. If you like it you are set, if not you can usually apply those shock to a new setup altogether, somewhat buying it in pieces spreading out the cost.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Have had a Holz front and rear on an edge and on an I/Q loved both but I'm putting a Timbersled on my new turbo cuz the Holz come up so darn fast and I'm concerned about tip over, not tried the alfa x thou, I tuned on the WE's a bit and revalved em and they are just fine but for giggles I'm putting on Fox Evol's with the stock arms I'll be commenting in later posts

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Have had a Holz front and rear on an edge and on an I/Q loved both but I'm putting a Timbersled on my new turbo cuz the Holz come up so darn fast and I'm concerned about tip over, not tried the alfa x thou, I tuned on the WE's a bit and revalved em and they are just fine but for giggles I'm putting on Fox Evol's with the stock arms I'll be commenting in later posts
I've got a turbo on my 08 700 as well, I have the old style Holz that every one complained about being a wheelie monster. I put it on Ice age straight rails that eliminate the tip up and relocate the rear scissor back a half inch and with correct setup it's not an issue.

The timbersled is also a great skid from everyone that I've talked to that runs it. I just really like the abuse that my Holz will take. Also the new Alpha-X doesn't seem to have the issue that eveyone complained about with the old style.

Here's a pic of my skid
7aa3ff5f.jpg

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Searafter...

What is your budget??

Do you want to upgrade the ONLY the shocks front and rear? (approx $1300 - $2300)

... $1300 for Fox Zero Pro non adjust single rate coil spring front shocks and float/adjustable zero pro piggyback rear shocks (custom valved)
.... $1250 for Walker evans dual rate coil spring piggyback compression adjustable ski shocks and Walker Evans Dual rate coil spring, compression adjust rear shocks (custom valved)
.... $1500 Fox Float 2 ski shocks and Fox float/adjustable Zero Pro rear shocks (custom valved)
...$2100 for EXIT (Z Broz) Tripple rate coil spring, compression adjustable ski shocks and EXIT trip rate, comp adjustable rear shocks (custom valved)
... $2300 for Fox EVOL-X ski shocks and float FTS/Zero pro comp adjst piggy back RTS

OR replace the complete front and rear suspensions and shocks? (approx $2500 - $5000)
... about $4800 + donor parts from your stock skid for the amazing setup on Rob's ride.(Holz A-arms/spindles/Evol X ski shocks /Alpha-X rear)

... about $4800 for Z-Broz (AKA:ARS-FX, EXIT) X-0 front comp adjustable shocks, A-arms, spindles, EZ-ride w/Exit shock upgrade

....about $3200 for the Timbersled Mountain Tamer standard (uses your stock 08 rails), Barkbuster front, Float 2's ski shocks.

....about $4700 for the Timbersled Mountain Tamer-X with rails, Barkbuster front, Float EVOL-X ski shocks .

What is in your budget/plans makes a big difference in recommendations.

Also, qualify recommendations of people by engine mods/turbos, tracks, lengths, other add ons (spindles skis etc), type of riding (chutes, mogul basher, tree rider), and rider size/weight.

Different purposes need different equipment and setups... even in these new skids with the Float DSC X-R package shocks like the 2010 Timbersled and the Holz Alpha that offer so many adjustments to the user.

Last edited:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Yep we will have it on display at Puyallup. Can't remember what our space numbers are but we put up a pretty big display so you should be able to find us. Look for big black and red BETTER BOARDS TENT AND 25' high BETTER BOARDS FLAGS. Stop in and take a peek and I'll show you some of the aspects of set up that we have found out with this sled.

I can also coach you on multiple aspects of Fox shocks from simple air to elaborate Evol X packages that have been tested for your sled sold and setup through either Holz Racing Products or Carl's Cycle Sales in Boise. There are lots of options over your stock setups. Kind of depends on your needs and expectations followed closely by how much you are wanting to spend. Hope to see you in Puyallup.
Rob

S
Aug 17, 2009
Palmer, AK
aftermarket suspension

who do you think makes the best suspension for deep snow and mountain climbing. I was thinking holz or mountain tamer but would like to hear others experiences first.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
When asking about suspensions.... there are many things to consider....

What kind of riding do you do?
What kind of terrain?
Turbo or N.A?
Climber or Boondocker?

Also qualify the rider that is giving you the recommendation. What kind of sled do they have, a heavy high HP sled or a light lower hp sled or something in the middle. What is the experience level and aggressiveness of the rider? What does that rider wiegh?

There are many great offerings from many different companies... there is no "Best" skid for all situations.

Companies that I know of that still make Suspensions

Timbersled
Evolution Air (Toms)
Holz
Team Fast (M-10) and all of the aftermarket variations/adaptations of this like Racers Edge version of the M-10 or FasTrax setup.
Fabcraft
EZ-Ryde
K-Mod
Carbonsled/Nexus
AD-Bovin

and more that I'm missing, surely.

The recommendation that I would make for a Turbo sled may be different than one for a N.A. (naturally aspirated) sled. Be specific, IMO, and you will get answers that better fit what your needs are.

Also, What is your max budget $$ ... that also makes a big difference as well.

My $0.02

Last edited:
S
Aug 17, 2009
Palmer, AK
When asking about suspensions.... there are many things to consider....

What kind of riding do you do?
What kind of terrain?
Turbo or N.A?
Climber or Boondocker?

Also qualify the rider that is giving you the recommendation. What kind of sled do they have, a heavy high HP sled or a light lower hp sled or something in the middle. What is the experience level and aggressiveness of the rider? What does that rider wiegh?

There are many great offerings from many different companies... there is no "Best" skid for all situations.

Companies that I know of that still make Suspensions

Timbersled
Evolution Air (Toms)
Holz
Team Fast (M-10) and all of the aftermarket variations/adaptations of this like Racers Edge version of the M-10 or FasTrax setup.
Fabcraft
EZ-Ryde
K-Mod
Carbonsled/Nexus
AD-Bovin

and more that I'm missing, surely.

The recommendation that I would make for a Turbo sled may be different than one for a N.A. (naturally aspirated) sled. Be specific, IMO, and you will get answers that better fit what your needs are.

Also, What is your max budget $$ ... that also makes a big difference as well.

My $0.02

well it would be for mostly hillcimbing in powder that varies from heavy snow or deep saw dust snow that just sinks and has little bottom. Right now sled is stock but im gonna get a turbo around mid winter. n yea i was leaning toward timbersled based on price n i havent heard anything bad but id say 2500 would be the limit n thats only if someone can reallyspeak highly of a skid at that price.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
IMO...

I think that the new Timbersled Mtn Tamer will give you what you need best. This skid exells at climbing, even on the 400 HP turbo Apexes. The new Float calibrations are really dialed in for each sled now.

It will fully couple to controll the front end lift of your sled.

This is what will be on my sled this year.... I'm pretty excited.

The rear is only Half of the battle, you also need to pay close attention to the front suspension as well. The shocks on the front are much more important than having a light set of A-Arms...

With your max budget, you could roll with the Timbersled Mountain Tamer rear suspension with the Fit-Kit for the stock rails, Float-2 shocks for the front with shipping to AK for about $2350

If you want even more adjustment to the skid, you can upgrade to the Float X shock, for about $350, in the Tamer-X package with a ton of adjustments available to you....rebound, DSC compression hi/lo, air spring rate, shock position, transfer and coupling adjustments... this will be at the top of the list with very few others on the suspension offerings out there. This new shock allows the rider so many differnt adjustments that will handle anything you can throw at it!

Last edited:
S
Aug 17, 2009
Palmer, AK
Yea but that was just the budget for rear suspension so im going with black ice age rails if i do mtn tamer which is what ill pry do in a few weeks when i get the sled, but yea also gonna do the floats up front to with holz spindles and holz a arm or barkerbuster (depending on what i get in the rear). im sure that what ever i get for aftermarket suspension ill be happier then stock and both are reputable suspensions.

Premium Features