• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 thundercat gearing

T
Jan 27, 2008
lapine oregon
hey guys! my thundercat is geared with 39/24 gears. this places me at 1.6 ratio. i understand for mountain sleds you want 2.1-2.6 ratio. my ? is what should i change my sprockets to and what should my chain be. thanks!:rolleyes:

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
My M/C 1000 came with 19/39 it screemed, it would all depend on how much track your going to run. The 19/39 Im thinking would have no prob with 2"x 159 to 162

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
RUN 20/44 or so.If you like to be on the gas when jumping and stuff the 19 top gear will RIP the chain apart. With the gears you are running you should see higher speed that what you are. So I would guess you are either running out road in the straights or your clutching is off a bit. With those gears you should be able to hit 100 before the clutches shift out fully. Get the strongest chain and gears available cause when you gear down this much the chain becomes the weak link. No pun intended. You will sacrifice top speed a little but when you boondock your drive belt will run A LOT cooler. I ran this set up is a zrt 8 136 and when it came to boondocking up through the trees when we would stop I could put a hand on the belt. A friend of mine had a zrt 6 and you could fry eggs on his cluthes. Don't know if you can get the hyvo chain and gears for yours but if you can for the money get them. WPS is one place to look, these are the polaris chain and gears much tougher.I personally would go 20 45 or 46. You will not believe the difference in belt life, and launch especially on harder snow. You can put a different helix on to load the engine to keep it from over revving, just go less angle on the helix. This will change your back shift some but that can be corrected with spring tension in the secondary.

Last edited:
I

ice man

Jan 26, 2008
oliver bc canada
99 1000 t-cat

i run 20/42 or2.1 with a16x2.5x162, 9 tooth drivers, aaen tripple pipes, fabcraft tunnel, light weight hood.think i"m going lower.she blows by the xp[stock] at the top of a long pull :beer;

2009 sled pictures - sale pics 003.jpg

Premium Features