• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So i have a 1M

F
Sep 6, 2009
this whole chassis thing confuses the hell outta me, 01 mountain cat 1k, am i a 1M or that older powder special zrt chassis?
And heres a pic Also what the big seperation between my chassis and the older powder specials, i have a 136" skid and chassis, pans etc i bought from a guy some time ago, was a 99 powder special...look somewhat similar Different suspensions?

new 006.jpg

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Technically it's not a 1M. The 1M chassis has a drop/roll chaincase that the '98-02 mountain sleds didn't have. The '01 and '02 have a slight drop from the earlier models.

All the suspension geometry is the same from '98+ on the Mountain sleds (twins, '99+ triples), until the M-series.

The difference between the twins and triples was just cosmetic, the bellypan and hood were different.

I'm actually not sure the 1000 Mountain cat ever got the drop and roll that the twins did in '01.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Yeah, yours is named a "Mountain Cat" I believe. Awesome lookin hood!:beer;

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Idcatman3 (my son) had a good start but maybe I can add a little more clarity to the situation. Basically all the AWS V bulkheads from 98 on up are the same except for the motor mount locations and the mounting position of the chaincase and jackshaft. Even the fan Panther, Puma and Z were the same except for the front heat exchanger. Up to 2000 the ZRs, ZLs, mountain sleds and the fan models were all the same. In 2001 the mountain sleds got the chaincase lowered about 3/8". The 1Ms have it lowered about another 1" or so. The 1M bulkhead is no lighter than any other AWS V. All the weight difference is in the seat and suspension parts. There are at least five different plastic designs that will all fit on that same bulkhead. (1) 97- 98 Puma, (2) ZR 2, (3) ZR 3, (4) ZRT and T Cat, and (5 I think) the turbo 660. Hope this helps.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Idacatman and others, Yes the T660 will fit! The other half has a 141" mod. It looks trick, But doesn't climb like a 1M! Too heavy to make it a Mtn. class. But a couple yrs ago I wanted to mount her hood on mine! Needless to say she was not game, Maybe a Mtn. fit M series will have to do!

Mike

arcticcatwill

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, id
this whole chassis thing confuses the hell outta me, 01 mountain cat 1k, am i a 1M or that older powder special zrt chassis?
And heres a pic Also what the big seperation between my chassis and the older powder specials, i have a 136" skid and chassis, pans etc i bought from a guy some time ago, was a 99 powder special...look somewhat similar Different suspensions?

If you want your mtn cat to be a 1m, all you have to do is get a 2003.5-the last year of the king cat with the motor mounts and coolers in it or just a roller chassis, and do a swap, thats what i did with my 2002 800 twin LE, made it a whole different sled and i found a 2005 king cat chassis almost roller for $350 with a title, which would in the end moake yours worth more, and be a rare 1000 triple, one sled i want to eventualy build. might be worth $3500 give or take.

Will

Premium Features