• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Few Question?

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
1.) Just got the runout on my crank checked. Less than .001". Can't beat that! Is it worth getting my seals and bearings replaced? Should I get my cases line bored?

2.) Who makes a seat cover for the 900's? Don't feel like spending $300 on a new seat just so the colors match my powder coating

3.) Im going with the 975 kit from Carls and a Boondockers Nitrous kit. Do I need to run dual EGT's? I plan on running a A/F gauge for the N2O but do I have to spend $300 on a EGT gauge also?

4.) Has anybody ever broken their rear 2 wheel kits? I've heard they break like nothing and can ruin a track in a cinch? Anybody have this problem?

5.) Looking to buy gauges, SLP y-pipe, Holz Spindles, Seat Cover, Fox Evol shocks, And some small billet boggie wheels. Just thought I would throw that stuff in their too.

-Nolan

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
1.) Just got the runout on my crank checked. Less than .001". Can't beat that! Is it worth getting my seals and bearings replaced? Should I get my cases line bored?

2.) Who makes a seat cover for the 900's? Don't feel like spending $300 on a new seat just so the colors match my powder coating

3.) Im going with the 975 kit from Carls and a Boondockers Nitrous kit. Do I need to run dual EGT's? I plan on running a A/F gauge for the N2O but do I have to spend $300 on a EGT gauge also?

4.) Has anybody ever broken their rear 2 wheel kits? I've heard they break like nothing and can ruin a track in a cinch? Anybody have this problem?

5.) Looking to buy gauges, SLP y-pipe, Holz Spindles, Seat Cover, Fox Evol shocks, And some small billet boggie wheels. Just thought I would throw that stuff in their too.

-Nolan

1. Less than .001". Can't beat that! Is it worth getting my seals and bearings replaced? Should I get my cases line bored? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

2.Who makes a seat cover for the 900's? Don't feel like spending $300 on a new seat just so the colors match my powder coating. You can get a new seat on ebay for $50 or do you just want different colors?

4.What size is your track?

5. You should be able to get that stuff real cheap if you shop around.

Contact Anthony O of TEAM SUMMIT and see if he has any stuff left over from his 975.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Nolan.

like DB said..if your runout is that low..which is amazing...leave it be...deal with line boring and case mods when you need it...UNLESS you end up going with the TM crank since its included

as far as a seat cover..i will let you know what i come out with shortly..i have a local guy that will do one (price TBD yet) and another guy on the internet that i have bought seat covers from before..they do AMAZING WORK....i just need to take the time to mail my seat to them for a quote and get mine done in black...and they will do stitching as well

i dont know much about running EGT/AF gauges...of coarse i have none of them..but to get true readings. i would say AF for sure..but really no sense in running EGTs as well..IMO...i would get whatever gauges you decide from SNOW JW on here..great guy to deal with

i have never heard of anyone breaking billet wheels...i could see it if the wheels were spoked or cheap made..OR if you ran too big of wheels on your sled (if you had a short track) but as long as you get quality wheels, (i.e. MMP, or Mountain Addiction) you will be fine..and do not go any bigger then a 9" on a 159-166 track...on a 151 i would do 8" at the biggest.. if you destroy billet wheels, then you have more issues then wheels..bad alignment, rails, axle that are jacked up somewhere IMO..dont sweat it bro..

i am looking for your parts on your wish list..you know that...same for billet idlers..i cant find the guy i got mine from and need 2 more..i will let you know though

ill get back to you about the seat cover when i know more..and send you the info to get ahold of them

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
If you let me know what fabric material ... I can get a quote from one of the 10,000 shops here in Los Angeles.

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Thanks for the info everybody.

1.) I guess I will just assemble everything back together without modification.

2.) Got a stock 900 seat. Also have the SPG rear seat support. Im going with a green and white powder coating and dont want the red stipe on my stock seat showing. Either a complete new seat, seat cover, or new fabric (which would be sweet!) is in order!

3.) Still on the rocks about this one, will be going with the A/F for sure tho.

4.) My track is a 151". Im running a brand new skid so everything should still be square. Its Ice Age rails and wheels. They are 8" with the Holz Alpha Coil Over kit.

5.) Thanks for looking around for me Sean! You've helped me find alot of stuff I would have over looked! I'll try to do the same to you!
Ok, Some more questions.

Drivers.... Whats the stories on these? Why do you need them? What do aftermarket drivers do that stock doesn't? Is it worth it? Guess Im just looking for an entire run down on Drivers. lol

Thanks,

-Nolan

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
Helps prevent ratcheting. They are definetly worth it and are a major improvement over stock. Rails need to be cut back to run these drivers, unless your Ice Age rails are already made to that length for the drivers, in which case you will also be fine without running the anti-stab kit. Do you have the rails already? You also said you'll just assemble everything back together without modification, Do you have your bottom end apart already?

Avid Combo Drivers installed on my 2006 Dragon 900 166
900dragon_7.jpg

900dragon_6.jpg

900_2.jpg

Last edited:
N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Motor was taken apart and shipped out to carls. I sent them the upper case, ecu, head, exhaust valves, and cylinders. I then sent my crank along with my lower case off to get the run out on. The crank isn't split and I would rather leave it alone if it's not recommended to change everything. Yes I have the rails already, they are waiting to get sandblasted before powder coating. So im assuming running to much HP on the stock drivers is going to cause them to ratchet more frequently?

-Nolan

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Yes it could. But not necessarily mean that it's going to. I have have a buddy with an 05 50th with a 166 and Carls 975, running stock drivers. He doesn't have serious ratchet problems but his just wouldn't hook up as well as mine did. If your case is still together with only .001, then I would just leave it alone as previously said, there's no reason to tear into it.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Nolan.

like DB said..if your runout is that low..which is amazing...leave it be...deal with line boring and case mods when you need it...UNLESS you end up going with the TM crank since its included

as far as a seat cover..i will let you know what i come out with shortly..i have a local guy that will do one (price TBD yet) and another guy on the internet that i have bought seat covers from before..they do AMAZING WORK....i just need to take the time to mail my seat to them for a quote and get mine done in black...and they will do stitching as well

i dont know much about running EGT/AF gauges...of coarse i have none of them..but to get true readings. i would say AF for sure..but really no sense in running EGTs as well..IMO...i would get whatever gauges you decide from SNOW JW on here..great guy to deal with

i have never heard of anyone breaking billet wheels...i could see it if the wheels were spoked or cheap made..OR if you ran too big of wheels on your sled (if you had a short track) but as long as you get quality wheels, (i.e. MMP, or Mountain Addiction) you will be fine..and do not go any bigger then a 9" on a 159-166 track...on a 151 i would do 8" at the biggest.. if you destroy billet wheels, then you have more issues then wheels..bad alignment, rails, axle that are jacked up somewhere IMO..dont sweat it bro..

i am looking for your parts on your wish list..you know that...same for billet idlers..i cant find the guy i got mine from and need 2 more..i will let you know though

ill get back to you about the seat cover when i know more..and send you the info to get ahold of them

I was talking to Crix on here and he broke his MMP billet wheels when he was on a trip out west....almost ruined his vacation if i remember right FYI....

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I got a couple quick, stupid questions.

Is the 975 kit a pump gas kit, or do you have to run race gas in it?

Is there any top end other than stock that you can run regular 87 or 91 octane through?

Nolan, if you don't mind me asking, how much is your 975 kit gonna cost you, crank inspection and other things aside, just for the 975 kit itself?

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
I got a couple quick, stupid questions.

Is the 975 kit a pump gas kit, or do you have to run race gas in it?

Is there any top end other than stock that you can run regular 87 or 91 octane through?

Nolan, if you don't mind me asking, how much is your 975 kit gonna cost you, crank inspection and other things aside, just for the 975 kit itself?

I just talked to hot to go racing yesterday. they sell a 975 pump gas kit for our 900. Rob said it takes 3 to 4 weeks to get one done if you send in now. 1695 plus shipping and he recommends a boondocker box to go with it because he has changed the porting since his ecu's were made and he can't get polaris to make a new reflash for it.

he said 185 hp with the box to add more fuel or around 180 with just his ecu.

as always if you run race gas you are a little better off but he says 91 pump is fine.

http://www.htgracing.com/contactus.php

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi

Here is what carl's told me.... "The 975 kit seems to go both ways. You can try 91 but if you run race gas you are golden." I am running nitrous on this sled so I will be going atleast 50/50 race gas.

Carls and HTG are the only company I know that make a big bore kit for this sled.

Just for the 975 big bore kit was $1995 with core. I have to send them my jugs, head, ecu, exhaust valves, and top half of my case. The machine the case and send me new everything else. I could have kept my other parts but that would have cost quite a bit more...

So drivers....lol... I can leave them stock for this season and then next summer send off my rails to get cut down professionally, then press on new drivers? It's not something that is needed to have a good season correct?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

Here is what carl's told me.... "The 975 kit seems to go both ways. You can try 91 but if you run race gas you are golden." I am running nitrous on this sled so I will be going atleast 50/50 race gas.

Carls and HTG are the only company I know that make a big bore kit for this sled.

Just for the 975 big bore kit was $1995 with core. I have to send them my jugs, head, ecu, exhaust valves, and top half of my case. The machine the case and send me new everything else. I could have kept my other parts but that would have cost quite a bit more...

So drivers....lol... I can leave them stock for this season and then next summer send off my rails to get cut down professionally, then press on new drivers? It's not something that is needed to have a good season correct?

Get it done while everything is out.
One less thing floating in the brain matter PLUS with the $$$$ you are spending a couple more hundred and KNOWING all the HP will go to the track seems worth the effort.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Not sure what length your track is but before I put the extroverts on my 166, I couldn't get it tight enough to keep it from ratcheting. Best to do it now while you're doing everything else like DB says:beer;

edit...Yes you will have to cut them, haven't found anyone else that makes them for the splined shaft, 2.52 is stock, and if you wanna update your track;), I have a set of 2.86 Avids new in the box that were sent to me mistakenly...still had to pay for em though:(

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
If I change my drivers do I have to cut my rails or do they make smaller radius drivers? Is this the driver that I need? 2.52" pitch correct? Does anybody other than Avid make drivers? What does everybody recommend?

https://www.avid-products.com/store/ProdDet.cfm?ProdID=103

-Nolan

2.52 is correct.

Last time I checked only Avid makes them but I hope someone chimes in and proves me wrong.

Here is a guy selling a 2006 900 with 975 and posted this today.

Maybe he will chat with you.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162331

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
The combo driver is only available through Avid. Wahl Bros only makes a 3.0 noncombo driver for the splinned shaft.

A smaller radius driver wouldn't make a differance as I believe the 2.52 pitch driver from Avid is only available in a 9 tooth for Polaris. There still wouldn't be enough clearance even if you switched to a 3.0 pitch 7 tooth driver, you'd still have to trim the rails. I would call Ice Age, those rails may be made to length with the combo driver in mind and you may not have to trim them at all.

3.0 Pitch x 7 Tooth=6.69" Dia.
2.52 Pitch x 9 Tooth=7.22" Dia.

Here is a pic of Superdave3's setup, Ice Age rails and combo drivers. They do not appear to be trimmed.
Turbo004.jpg

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
The combo driver is only available through Avid. Wahl Bros only makes a 3.0 noncombo driver for the splinned shaft.

A smaller radius driver wouldn't make a differance as I believe the 2.52 pitch driver from Avid is only available in a 9 tooth for Polaris. There still wouldn't be enough clearance even if you switched to a 3.0 pitch 7 tooth driver, you'd still have to trim the rails. I would call Ice Age, those rails may be made to length with the combo driver in mind and you may not have to trim them at all.

3.0 Pitch x 7 Tooth=6.69" Dia.
2.52 Pitch x 9 Tooth=7.22" Dia.

Here is a pic of Superdave3's setup, Ice Age rails and combo drivers. They do not appear to be trimmed.
Turbo004.jpg

Here is the website for Wahl Bros.

http://www.wahlracing.com/product.php?productid=19876&cat=276&page=1

M
Sep 19, 2008
Green River Wyoming

I did carls 975 afew years back for sure change your drivers I used whal brothers,it will save you a wreck becouse whene it rachets with the 975 its over no turning back I learned the hard way. the only problems ive had were crank failure bairings went bad and ruined the cases either you can get abeefed up crank like from indydan or you can premix some oil in your fuel tank along with your oil injection system. other then that its a awsome set up atleast run 50-50 race fuel . If you have any more questions please feel free and pm me or I will keep up on this thread and sorry I lied the drivers were avid

Premium Features