• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Making Trailer Receiver Mud flaps?

S
Dec 3, 2007
Vernon BC
Hey guys just want to see if anyone has made some homemade mud/rock protectors to stop their trailer and sleds from getting hit with road debris? Yes i know theres a few companys(Rock Tamers etc) that make them but ive seen so many trucks with wicked looking home creations on them but now that i want to make one i havent seen any..lol.Any help would be great Thanks

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Great idea. I've been wanting to build my own as well. They want a bloody fortune for the ones that are out there!

B
Dec 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Nappa has fullsized mud flaps for sale with out any logos on them, On a dodge fullsized pickup reciever hitch the hitch is hollow through out so you need if I remember correctly 2" od box tubing that will slide through the the frame of the hitch then attach your mud flaps to that...thats what I have done and many others I know. You can also go to the local truck shop and get mudflap weights to keep them from waving in the wind to bad or you can just get some diamond plate to bolt on the bottom of the flaps

P

pumpnlead

Jan 14, 2008
Nebraska Panhandle
Here's the set I fabed up. I used some square tubing and anti-sail truck flaps. They don't need weights and do a good job of taking most of the brunt.

DSC01046.jpg

B
I made some with angle iron. Welded up a frame to fit around the hitch and welded a nut on so i can clamp it down with a bolt. I have 35" tires so i made mine a bit wider than average. My exhaust exits out the rear so i had to bolt some aluminum to the flaps because they were begining to melt. I need to add some weights or diamond plate to keep them from sailing at high speeds. But or $40 in materials i can't complain.

K
It's a little more spendy, but an enclosed is so much nicer!

Yeah, I hear ya but I have to stay small as I have nowhere secure to park a bigger trailer. The sleds go in my garage when I park em at home. So many trailers and sleds being stolen around here. Sad that a guy has to limit what he buys because he doesn't want it to get stolen by some fricken hairbag! :mad:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I have some hitch mounted flap that I bought back in 99. I hardly use them anymore because they aren't long enough. I lifted my truck after I bought them. AND some ahhole ran into the back of my truck up at Seeley and drove away...and bent my flap frames up.

Can you cut those Rock Tamers to length for lifted trucks?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I have a pair of those old long Polaris Racing race snowflaps. They are like 40" long. I can cut them down and put em on that nice frame I see above.

P

pumpnlead

Jan 14, 2008
Nebraska Panhandle
These are what I have and I absolutley love them They work perfect and dont look to bad.. I leave them on all year cause the boat in the summer and the sleds in the winter.
rock_tamers_back_view.jpg

No offense whatsoever, but these are junk. They may help some, but for 1/4 of the money you can build a set that goes all the way to the ground and gives you the protection you need. When I load sleds on the trailer, my flaps will touch the ground and then I'll air up till they just barely scrape...seems to give me excellent protection. Those anti-sail truck flaps are a little more expensive, but at 75 mph they hardly come off the ground, worth every penny.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
No picture, but I had a section of a plastic bedliner (about 1 foot square), I think from the front bangboard area, that I cut a 2" square hole in. I would slide that onto the stinger then put the stinger in the receiver. Since I have some good flaps on my truck at the wheel wells, I needed something to minimize the blowby that I would get down the tongue of my 2-place. The latch, lock and jack would get gritty/filthy after towing up to the pass and this simple shield kept this area a lot cleaner. My enclosed trailer has a raised tongue from the ball back so it is is higher and out of the way of this debris flow. Kind of ghetto, but I only used it when towing so it served its purpose.

Premium Features