• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Making a "Sub 500-lb" 900 RMK

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
For those of you who have severly lightened up your 900's, what all did you have to do to get them "Under 500-lbs" and also post what size track you were running.

I've lightened up my 900 significantly from stock with all I've done to it, but I feel like there are still more things I could do to shave weight on it.

As of now the two big things I could still do would be removing all the bogey wheels and re-locating my ice scratchers closer to the front of the rails than in the middle so as to lubricate the entir hyfax ..... Then I could also do a headlight delete, and a boss seat maybe?

I'm kind of on the fence with this, as I ride at night and need a head light, and I'm not really too enthusiastic about dropping $600 on a seat just to save 5-lbs.

So anyways, post up what all you've done to make your sled reasonably light without it basically being just a stripper sled with a motor and a track :)

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
i,ve done some of that

i have taken my wheels off and weighed them it was a cheap 6 to 7 pound drop and i have a headlight delete but i try and not ride at night i carry a light just in case tho there is one that has the center light still in it but its like 300 bucks

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
whats the front bumper u have wanting to put a new one on mine

I have TreeDog's bumper ... It works pretty well. I don't think it "added" any weight considering the radiator was removed ... that bumper weighs maybe 2 pounds at the very most. It's not very heavy at all, but it's pretty damned sturdy ....

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Actually, I have no idea what mine weighs...just that it isn't light enough.

The Boss seat doesn't drop enough to justify paying that much just for weight loss...it is much more comfortable though if you actually sit down. I've also done the Holz rear coilover, lost all of the un-necessary wheels, ported the track (stock 166 2.52) and opened every window though I added clips to every second one so probably cancels out, ditched all the rear tunnel plastic and tail light, aluminum bars with a billet throttle block and Wilwood m/c, no windshield or side shields, modified Timbersled intake, no front cooler, HPS can, all foam removed, and no sway bar...oh yeah, and I removed all the stickers;)

Hopefully this year I'll be able to do a mesh hood with a single PIAA 1100x...that should dump a few more pounds. But now I'm curious about what it weighs...:confused:

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Dry, I don't think it's possible to do a sub 500-lb 900 wet without basically just making it a stripper sled.

I would say your close already depending on which track length you have. You already lost most of the big savers pipe/can etc. and I think your right about the seat to much$$$ for the savings. if it where me and it is ! I would go with floats all the way around ( saves 5-10 #s) 3.0 pitch track and drivers (saves #s and HP)how much depends on your preference of track.Last would be the hood I am drooling over a diamond S hood myself I would love to see an actual weight with the pod and headlight.I have had a boss seat and now I have an Axccess i might have saved some weight but I wanted a wider seat so that was my biggest motivator and the fact it had red on it (I HATE RED).

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
I would say your close already depending on which track length you have. You already lost most of the big savers pipe/can etc. and I think your right about the seat to much$$$ for the savings. if it where me and it is ! I would go with floats all the way around ( saves 5-10 #s) 3.0 pitch track and drivers (saves #s and HP)how much depends on your preference of track.Last would be the hood I am drooling over a diamond S hood myself I would love to see an actual weight with the pod and headlight.I have had a boss seat and now I have an Axccess i might have saved some weight but I wanted a wider seat so that was my biggest motivator and the fact it had red on it (I HATE RED).

I'd love to go with Floats all around, it just that damn $$$ thing that gets in my way:( Same deal with the track...maybe after I break this one though;)

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I'd love to go with Floats all around, it just that damn $$$ thing that gets in my way:( Same deal with the track...maybe after I break this one though;)

YA! Me too I put pricing to my wish list for the sled and it is still over 5K . But thats w/ the indy dan bottom , evol fronts ,floats w rezis on the rear , NOS,and diamond s hood . After all that maybe a turbo !

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I had the option to go with the Floats when I did the Holz skid, but I decided on the Zero pros ....

For some reason it doesn't seem to me like the Floats are really built for heavier riders, and when I'm fully geared up with a pack ready to ride I'm pushing ~300-lbs easily.

Hell even the 200-lb/in spring on the Zero Pros I have to pre-load to the max just to get close to what Holz recommends for the correct sag .... hahaha.

I wish they offered a 225-lb/in or even 250 lb/in spring for the Zero pro on that skid.

As far as the Track goes, I'd love to do a Series V.1 155" and drill it out, run the Avid extroverts, and do a 9" 2-wheel kit .... but again I'm just running into $$$$/benefit ratio. I've already got so much money dumped into this sled I am just having a hard time justifying putting "the finishing touches" on the whole thing :(

Guess lesson learned is, don't try to do a project sled when you dont even have a garage to work on it in LOL ... haha.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I hear ya ! I am a big fella myself! I also have the coilover and wondered the same thing.Then again I have seen my CNC mill(15000#s) lifted and pushed out the door like a toy on surprisingly small airbags. Sure makes me wonder.I just wish I hade the $$$ to find out.I also feel your pain in having wayyyyy to much into a 900. That said would you be happy on a stocker ? probably not and as tempting as it is a boosted sled is just as expensive and a whole other set of problems Im sure.You
Have the makings of a super cool sled IMO it would be a shame to come this far and quite.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
As far as the Track goes, I'd love to do a Series V.1 155" and drill it out, run the Avid extroverts, and do a 9" 2-wheel kit .... but again I'm just running into $$$$/benefit ratio. I've already got so much money dumped into this sled I am just having a hard time justifying putting "the finishing touches" on the whole thing
Dogmeat, you have the series V 2.4 on their now right? The V.1 is a down grade. We've run a bunch of 151x2.4s against comparable sleds with the 155 on it and the 151 outperforms it every time. In fact, several guys I know have 'downgraded' to the 2.52 pitch 2.4 series V on their Dragons because they work better than the newer tracks.

sled_guy

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
Dogmeat when I had my 9
I removed all the rear rack plastic including tail light, underseat storage
ditched handelbar cover
all unneccesary aluminum heat sheilds thrown, then heat taped the side panel and chaincase cover
Intake kit w/radiator removed and any extra hose cut and plugged
front holz racing a-arms
fox floats all around
lexan hood
holz a-arms

151" 9 weighed ~475 on our freight scale full coolant and less than 1 qt of oil

by the way keep that 151 2.4 I wish mine had that track

Oh yeah I have a led tail light floating around still? I think I will look if your interested hit me up

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Lets see..... Get a "roller" Dragon 155 .

Install a 2005 900 motor with an SLP performer kit (the holes are still there for the cross member) , fab a custom steering post, install the rear motor mounts from a 2006 900, fab a custom wiring harness, install the 900 muffler hanger and PTO side plates, 900 cross bracing install the ecu and misc eletcrical on the belt guard, plumb the fuel injection...some minor stuff I'm leaving out

Then add a Timbersled skid, T-sled front, float shocks light skis, gut the hood, FNI airbox, Better boards, Cat power claw 153 90 duro track (cuts 20 lbs out of a 166 install or 16 lbs from a 159 and 12 lbs from a 151 series IV) , Avid drivers, Venting, clutching, gearing, SPG front bumper, FNI headlight intake.

You should have around a 450 lb sled wet NO GAS (includes oil, coolant, shock oil)

Last edited:
J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Lets see..... Get a "roller" Dragon 155 .

Install a 2005 900 motor with an SLP performer kit (the holes are still there for the cross member) , fab a custom steering post, install the rear motor mounts from a 2006 900, fab a custom wiring harness, install the 900 muffler hanger and PTO side plates, 900 cross bracing install the ecu and misc eletcrical on the belt guard, plumb the fuel injection...some minor stuff I'm leaving out

Then add a Timbersled skid, T-sled front, float shocks light skis, gut the hood, FNI airbox, Better boards, Cat power claw 153 90 duro track (cuts 20 lbs out of a 166 install or 16 lbs from a 159 and 12 lbs from a 151 series IV) , Avid drivers, Venting, clutching, gearing, SPG front bumper, FNI headlight intake.

You should have around a 450 lb sled wet NO GAS (includes oil, coolant, shock oil)

Pffftt............I think he wanted a challenge...........;)

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Dogmeat, you have the series V 2.4 on their now right? The V.1 is a down grade. We've run a bunch of 151x2.4s against comparable sleds with the 155 on it and the 151 outperforms it every time. In fact, several guys I know have 'downgraded' to the 2.52 pitch 2.4 series V on their Dragons because they work better than the newer tracks.

sled_guy

Yes, I have a Series IV 151x2 ... I am hoping some day I can find a good used 151x2.4 ... that'd be great, but I don't want to shell out $750 for a new track just to get a little bit deeper lugs.

Premium Features